PDA

View Full Version : 360 VGA "black outs"

superklye
06-07-07, 10:49 AM
Occasionally my TV goes black for a second or two while using VGA. Over the weekend, it happened 4 or 5 times in less than 3 minutes while playing Halo 2. The video always comes back on and is fine, but it's kinda annoying because I can't seem to figure out why.

I checked the cable connections on both ends and it's tight in the back of the 360 as well as completely screwed into my TV.

It happens during video playback, too. I was watching some Battlestar Galactica last night and it happened twice. It's incredibly annoying. :mad:

Has this happened to anyone else?

ENU291
06-07-07, 11:16 AM
I use the VGA option on my 360 and have never had this happen. What kind of TV or monitor are you using?

superklye
06-07-07, 11:55 AM
Hmm...I've got the Westinghouse 32" LTV-32w6 LCD HDTV.

Weird. :( It never happened on component, but I bought the VGA cables for SD DVD upconversion. Ah well. It doesn't happen all the time, so I guess I'll just deal with it.

I'm glad I'm not the only person this is happening to.

Lyme
06-07-07, 12:48 PM
Had this happen with my current toshiba dlp tv when running a sd signal through the component inputs. This is usualy, but not always, the fault of your tv. What typically is happening is as you watch anything over that input one or more of the connectors gets warm and expands (like duh), the problem is that when this happens the connections are moved out of alignment and so your screen goes blank, then it quickly cools because the connection is broken and your get your picture back.

Very very annoying problem, and it is both a difficult and time consuming issue to find/fix.

Edit: It can be the cable or the 360 doing that as well, but it is typically the tv.

Peoples-Agent
06-08-07, 06:33 AM
Just wondering, does it do it on regular 360 games?

Reason I ask, I know there were some backward compatiable issues with VGA awhile back.

Toss3
06-08-07, 06:36 AM
Wohoo now I can join the HighDef party!! :D I just got my LG 37LB2R installed and it's beautiful! And I got it very cheap! ;) I'll post some pics later, but now I'm off to play some 360!! (nana2)

(Made this post using my TV as my monitor!)

Using VGA causes no black outs for me either... Maybe you've set something up wrong or something in the menu?

superklye
06-08-07, 08:00 AM
Just wondering, does it do it on regular 360 games?

Reason I ask, I know there were some backward compatiable issues with VGA awhile back.
To be honest, I haven't tried it on a 360 game...I got the cable when I was halfway through beating Halo and now I'm about halfway through Halo 2. Other than playing those two games, I've just been watching DVDs as its the sole player I have in my room currently. :o

It didn't happen at all last night, but we had the central air on so maybe it kept the cables cool enough? It's totally random and unpredictable when it happens. It's pretty frustrating... :mad:

Peoples-Agent
06-08-07, 08:07 AM
Try a straight 360 game, see if it happens.

I really do think there are still some underlying problems with VGA and backward compatiable titles that aren't there when going component. :(

superklye
06-08-07, 08:10 AM
I'll play some R6 and/or GRAW2 this weekend and will let you know if anything happens...

superklye
06-08-07, 02:11 PM
I'm playing GRAW2 right now and it just happened.

Guess it's not a back-catalog-only issue after all. :(

Peoples-Agent
06-08-07, 04:38 PM
I'm playing GRAW2 right now and it just happened.

Guess it's not a back-catalog-only issue after all. :(

Damn!!!

Definately not right.... have you checked the pins on the lead, is it pushed all the way in etc all the daft stuff.

superklye
06-08-07, 04:50 PM
Damn!!!

Definately not right.... have you checked the pins on the lead, is it pushed all the way in etc all the daft stuff.
I looked at it and everything seemed to be in order. I can try again and see if it makes any difference.

It just sucks because it's completely unpredictable. I have no idea when it's going to happen so it may not happen again for days or months or it might happen immediately when I start playing and happen every 10 seconds afterwards. :(

ENU291
06-08-07, 05:04 PM
I looked at it and everything seemed to be in order. I can try again and see if it makes any difference.

It just sucks because it's completely unpredictable. I have no idea when it's going to happen so it may not happen again for days or months or it might happen immediately when I start playing and happen every 10 seconds afterwards. :(
Sorry to hear that you're still having problems. What resolution are you running the 360 at on that Westy?

Peoples-Agent
06-08-07, 05:08 PM
Only thing I can suggest, try changing the reference level , see if that helps.

Then start the usual trend of trying to cut out what it isn't.

I'd get intouch with MS and request a replacement VGA lead, then take it from there.

superklye
06-08-07, 05:35 PM
Sorry to hear that you're still having problems. What resolution are you running the 360 at on that Westy?
1360x768...that's the TV's native resolution.

superklye
06-08-07, 05:36 PM
Only thing I can suggest, try changing the reference level , see if that helps.

Then start the usual trend of trying to cut out what it isn't.

I'd get intouch with MS and request a replacement VGA lead, then take it from there.
Hmm...it happened on Normal and Expanded so I dunno...

I guess I could request a replacement. hell, if I can find the receipt, it should be well within Best Buy's 30 day policy.

Peoples-Agent
06-08-07, 06:10 PM
Hmm...it happened on Normal and Expanded so I dunno...

I guess I could request a replacement. hell, if I can find the receipt, it should be well within Best Buy's 30 day policy.

Go for it, but let us know how it pans out. That's one weird problem i've never come across, have to add that to the scrapbook.

ENU291
06-08-07, 08:29 PM
1360x768...that's the TV's native resolution.
Run the 360 at 1280X720 (basically 720P) for a while and see what happens.