PDA

View Full Version : Video brightness issue on Vista x64

kam03
06-08-07, 05:36 AM
I just realised that the brightness is higher then it should be when playing videos on media player 11 (on vista).

I checked the brightness settings and all are on default value.

Here is a pic that shows the brightness clearly visible where as it should be totally black.

http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/3219/untitledfn2.jpg

Media player on left and VLC player on right (tested on xp and no problems)
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/937/28032007709na9.jpg

I opened the same video on VLC player and it displays the video the way it should so there is something wrong with media player 11?

I think its overlay issue but nvidia drivers don't have overlay option under vista; it must be the 3D desktop causing this?

Any solutions?

Thanks

j0j081
06-08-07, 07:38 AM
DivX has/had problems with Vista to last time I tried it.

kam03
06-08-07, 09:17 PM
DivX has/had problems with Vista to last time I tried it.

I'ts not divx, i have tested it on 3 different setups with same problem.

Lemur.fi
06-09-07, 03:31 PM
Is this only with certain video formats or with all? Have you tested other codecs yet?

AngelGraves13
06-09-07, 03:51 PM
If you double click on that Supernatural episode you're watching (love that show!), it'll become fullscreen in Media Player and the black borders will become the same color as the black borders in the video file.

Windows Media Player does this for all videos including DVDs. Once it is fullscreen, it adjusts the border color to match the video.

kam03
06-09-07, 07:37 PM
Its with all formats. After you maximize the screen it makes it one colour but it makes it even more bright, so much that you can tell its over bright.

on vlc player try running Video output module on:

Directx video output and openGL video output.

Check the black level difference. You will notice directx video output displays the right blacks and openGL displays it over bright. You get the same results on windows media player as you do with openGL video output.

When its running on Directx video output you will notice that the vista theme changes to basic theme which is why i think it displays the correct blacks but with openGl video output, windows vista theme stays on its 3D theme.

I tested windows media player with basic and 3D aero theme but both give me the same over bright brightness tint.