PDA

View Full Version : Windows Defender, is it any good?

OWA
06-08-07, 06:56 PM
A co-worker was asking me about spyware and AV software for Vista and since I don't use my Vista-based system very often, figured I'd better ask. Is the Vista Windows Defender software any good? If not, what is recommended?

I don't run AV software so recommendations there would be good also (has to be Vista compatible).

grey_1
06-08-07, 07:54 PM
I wouldn't rely on defender. I currently have it disabled and am running Lavasoft's Adaware personal and spybot. Both are free and both have a proven track record.

For AV I'm using Avast' personal version.

evilghost
06-08-07, 09:17 PM
No. It consistently fails to detect some of the latest variants, check http://isc.sans.org for proof on this and http://www.virustotal.com. I've personally witnessed this on several instances.

Sazar
06-08-07, 09:42 PM
No. It consistently fails to detect some of the latest variants, check http://isc.sans.org for proof on this and http://www.virustotal.com. I've personally witnessed this on several instances.

While running linux?

evilghost
06-08-07, 09:46 PM
While running linux?

While auditing of vendor laptops which are compromised and determining the level/exposure of infection in the corporate enterprise as well as documented failure to classify the threat from ISC's handlers.

Ancient
06-08-07, 11:05 PM
While auditing of vendor laptops which are compromised and determining the level/exposure of infection in the corporate enterprise as well as documented failure to classify the threat from ISC's handlers.
And these Vendor laptops are running Vista?

SLippe
06-08-07, 11:21 PM
Well, can't speak for Vista, sorry, but I love Hitman Pro 2.6. Includes all you need, well, except AV. I use AVG for that, but not sure if they have a Vista version yet. Windows Defender never caught anything for me! It sucks!

DRen72
06-09-07, 08:16 AM
My experience: (Abbreviated version)

OWA, I had disabled Defender and ran Vista a while without it. Then eventually I noticed that things started running poorly. I thought "Hey, must be Spyware", so I ran Lavasoft and it found nothing. I then on a hunch reenabled Defender. It found 5 spyware actually running in the background. It cleaned them and all is well. So, in my experience I think its a good piece of software.

OWA
06-09-07, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.

Q
06-09-07, 10:03 AM
At my job, we deployed Defender on all new images created about a year ago. Also, we recommended it for installation on student machines. It was a horrible decision. Its mediocre for protection (as the vast majority of individuals here have noted), but also suffers from some instability several months after instillation on some systems. On a nearly bare XP image, the program just errors out on Windows boot. I've seen this on a couple hundred Dells and at least 10-20 student machines.

I won't let it touch a machine.

$n][pErMan
06-09-07, 01:20 PM
I stopped using AV software years ago.... defender works good for me... no problems yet. If you know what your doing you should not need any AV software anyway :p AV software just eats resources....

radekhulan
06-09-07, 01:56 PM
If you use your brain, you cannot get a virus. Sometimes I think viruses do not exist at all, and are media anti-Windows propaganda sponsored by Apple (producer of obsolete OS for kids) and "security" companies. Haven't seen a single virus in 5+ years, last serious one was in MS-DOS and floppy disk era.

I do not download from warez sites, my email provider (as almost any other) has antivirus SW installed on POP3, plus antispam / antiphishing, so I do not see any reason to slow down my computer with AV stuff.

I switched off Defender as well and use my brain (and Opera) instead..

einstein_314
06-09-07, 02:01 PM
I'm running Vista x64 with defender (no other AV or AntiSpyware programs) and haven't had any viruses/spyware problems yet.

Medion
06-10-07, 10:03 AM
I run Adaware and Spybot for malware/adware/etc. I use AVG for antivirus. Iuses virtually no resources.

radekhulan
06-10-07, 11:18 AM
Btw, you do not need to run and install anything, just somethimes scan your computer with Windows Live OneCare Online Scanner for viruses, spyware and malware:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Takes 5 minutes and you are (again) sure that you are "clean".

Dragunov
06-10-07, 01:54 PM
Vista here:

Antivirus: AVG
Anti-spyware: Windows Defender

pkirby11
06-10-07, 02:25 PM
I don't think you will ever find a spyware program that catches everthing. Hell Spybot and Adaware missed tons of things on my computer before that Defender caught and vice versa. Defender is good enough for me and like many have siad if your smart you'll not catch much if any.

Windows Vista Ultimate:
Anti-Virus: NOD32
Spyware: Defender

No problems so far.

JoKeRr
06-10-07, 03:13 PM
From what I've experienced in windows XP, Ad-aware has been defeated by new malwares and spywares quite sometime ago.. SB S&D is still quite good but it doesn't catch everything. The web version of PC chillin picks up quite a few, and Spy Doctor and Spy Sweeper can really pick up a lot of crap.

But on the other hand, Spy Doctor and Spy Sweeper tend to cause some instabilities in Windows XP, so only use them when you feel you got crap in your computer, un-install otherwise.