PDA

View Full Version : 7900GT Artifacts

nV`andrew
06-09-07, 01:40 PM
Heh, just recently i have been getting artifacts playing CS:S. Usually my card is around 60 degrees while playing source, but that has changed recently. Last night while playing nuke, (not sure if HDR has anything to do with it), I would get white streaks randomly, and then sometimes half of the game would flicker white. Alt tab led me to around 75 degree temps, and this morning (it is actually pretty cool in my house) it was almost 80 degrees. Card idles around 50. I just recently cleaned out my case good and got all the dust out of the fans. Temps were fine the first few days after then all of a sudden last night it was pretty bad. The case temps are pretty good, just seems the graphics card is getting real hot.

It's about a year and a half old. SuperClocked edition. i actually downclocked it like 15mhz on the core and memory, same temps. i installed new drivers last night, and the temps are still just as bad, if not worse.

Is it dying? I really don't want to have to spend money on an after market cooler when i probably wont be using this card much longer anyways.

Thanks for any help,
Andrew

nV`andrew
06-09-07, 02:17 PM
same thing happened to me when i acquired stalker. rma'd it already, 1 month has passed, no replacement yet from the supplier. :(

ouch, thats kinda spooky. I suppose i should contact eVGA

ShadowFX
06-10-07, 07:12 AM
ouch, thats kinda spooky. I suppose i should contact eVGA

Yeah I just recently RMAed my 7900 GT (it had artifacts also) from EVGA and the turn around time was fast. As soons as they recieved my card they sent out a 8600 GTS :D the next day! So yeah double check with EVGA and make sure its still under the 1 year warranty.

nV`andrew
06-10-07, 12:25 PM
Yeah I just recently RMAed my 7900 GT (it had artifacts also) from EVGA and the turn around time was fast. As soons as they recieved my card they sent out a 8600 GTS :D the next day! So yeah double check with EVGA and make sure its still under the 1 year warranty.

That's good to hear and glad the turn around time was quick because i dont have a backup pci card (pity me) but at least i cant still plug in to my old dell which at least has a 6600

EDIT: I hope im okay with the warranty because it has been over a year. The guy from support said he simply cleared the RMA and gave me the ookay to ship it.

nV`andrew
06-10-07, 12:40 PM
I really hope they will send me a SuperClocked edition of the 8600GTS to bring it up to the performance of my 7900GT SuperClocked. The vanilla 8600GTS, with 128bit memory, just isnt worth it to me even if you are getting a bit better IQ and Directx10.
Are there any newer benchmarks out there between the superclocked 8600GTS and the vanilla versus the 7900GT?

Thanks

ShadowFX
06-10-07, 05:20 PM
I really hope they will send me a SuperClocked edition of the 8600GTS to bring it up to the performance of my 7900GT SuperClocked. The vanilla 8600GTS, with 128bit memory, just isnt worth it to me even if you are getting a bit better IQ and Directx10.
Are there any newer benchmarks out there between the superclocked 8600GTS and the vanilla versus the 7900GT?

Thanks

Hmm I doubt they will send you a 7900 GT seems EVGA doesn't make them anymore :(, I had a 7900GT KO and they sent back the 8600GTS. But it does run my games about the same if not a bit smoother.

This was the only Benchmarks I've seen with the 7900 GT and 8600 GTS in them http://xtreview.com/review190.htm

IsLNdbOi
06-11-07, 02:29 AM
A vanilla 7900GT performs equally with a vanilla 8600GTS (they're equal in some things, the 7900GT is better at some things and the 8600GTS is better at other things). A 7900GT CO Superclocked will perform better overall than a vanilla 8600GTS. Right now, EVGA is giving vanilla 8600GTSs for 7900GTS CO Superclocked models that are RMA'd to them. If the user calls though and explains that it's not a fair trade, they can send a 7950GT. I had to RMA my 7900GT CO Superclocked two weeks ago. They first sent me a vanilla 8600GTS, but it didn't perform as well as what I sent them so called them up and they sent me a 512MB 7950GT KO Superclocked.

Acold
06-15-07, 08:40 AM
I also have a XFX 7900GT running on WinXP.

I have been experiencing extreme artifacts in WOW and not so severe in DOD/ CS. This all started after gettting stalker.. and upgrading my video drivers.

Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, including grabbing the versions suggested for XP from the XFX website. And spring cleaning the case blowing out all the dust build ups etc although the rig is under a year old.

Another guy in my WOW guild also with a 7900GT is also experiancing these issues.

Has anyone got a clue how to fix it ? or should I just be trying to blag a replacement from the manufacturer ?

Cheers

doddsy
06-15-07, 08:53 AM
same here with the artifacts in wow. also in cod2.

i've no solution for you i'm afraid. other than rma.

my own solution, in the shape of a x1950pro 512 mb card, should be here this afternoon.

Medion
06-15-07, 12:42 PM
I went through several EVGA 7900GT Superclocks, before I finally gave them hell (had spent near $150 in shipping at this point returning each defective card). They gave me a 7900GTO and a t-shirt.

K-1
06-18-07, 12:29 AM
Also getting bad artifacts with my eVGA 7900GT, have already sent it back once (well twice, the first one I was returned had a fan that would only run at full speed, so I had to RMA that one too...). Very frustrating, it's like the cards run perfect for half a year then start to break down. My friend who bought a 7900GT the same week I did is also experiencing the same problems, he only games about half as much as I do, so it seems about right that I've gone through two cards and he's only killed one lol.

Well thank god for the lifetime warranty I guess.

Acold
07-05-07, 08:01 AM
I just thought Id update you all on my progress.

I RMA'ed my card to the supplier www.Ebuyer.co.uk and they refunded me in full, within 3 days of collection. As part of the RMA I was able to book with them to have the card collected.. so I didn't even have to pay to post the card back.

I have now ordered a replacement x1950XT from ebuyer and pockted the difference. :)

Ive used Ebuyer a lot in the past and after this experiance unreservedly recommend them as a supplier.:D

john19055
07-05-07, 08:09 AM
I had to send back three 7900GT from Evga before I got one that worked without artifacts,I hope I don't have to send it back again because IMO a 8600GTS is not a equal part ,in price or in performance.

Acold
07-05-07, 08:22 AM
I had to send back three 7900GT from Evga before I got one that worked without artifacts,I hope I don't have to send it back again because IMO a 8600GTS is not a equal part ,in price or in performance.
I agree, you should ask for at least an x1950pro.
check http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2007/07/03/the_best_gaming_video_cards_for_the_money_uk/

for a comparison.