PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 Questions

pkirby11
06-09-07, 02:00 PM
Alrighty, I just had a few questions if any body is willing to answer them. I'm thinking about getting a 360, actually I know I will eventually, but I'm thinking of just bitting the bullet and getting every thing now so I'm good to go later.

So here are the questions:

I'm going to hook this up to my Dell 2707 monitor, I was told getting the VGA adapter and running in 1080P was the best method since they did an update to the 360. Is this true? Or does any one think I should go with compnent?

Should I go with the Elite version or just the 20GB version? Keep in mind other than playing games and maybe downloading demo's or XBL Arcade games I won't be housing video or anything. That's what the computer is for.

Lst but not least, what games should I get currently? I love RPG's, Action, Shooters, and Strategy. I know Gears of War is a must but what else? Any suggestion would be great.

Well that about does it, if anyone cares to chime in with their thoughts great! Thanks for your time guys. :D

Toss3
06-09-07, 04:26 PM
Okey first, don't use VGA; the pic. quality is pretty awful compared to component or HDMI. Because you'll be using a monitor, I'd recommend getting the ELITE version if you have a receiver and the normal version if you haven't got one; you wouldn't get any sound due to the HDMI out. DVD upscaling is only available while using either VGA or HDMI so that's also something to keep in mind(I find that component looks better anyways, due to sharper image and better colours.).

If you plan on downloading lots of stuff off the marketplace you'd once again be better off with the elite version.

Hope I could be of some help! :)

kev13dd
06-09-07, 04:43 PM
Ummmm

I dunno what the guy above is talking about. VGA quality is amazing, some people (me) will even claim it's on par or better than component. The biggest gripe people had is washed out colors, which has been corrected already. Enjoy!

K

superklye
06-09-07, 04:53 PM
I'm using VGA and apart from the weird and completely random blackouts I have, it's fantastic. Plus, it lets me run the 360 at my TV's native resolution of 1360x768.

Oh, and it lets you upconvert DVDs from the HD DVD drive, too. ;)

LycosV
06-09-07, 05:19 PM
Another vote here for the VGA cable. I use it with no problems whatsoever and love it. I don't have HDMI to compare with though so that could be better if you can go that route.
If you don't need the HDMI port (sounds like you don't) and you're not going to be downloading video from Live just get the premium package. The 20gb hard drive may be measly compared to what we have on our computers but as long as you're just getting arcade games and demos it's more than enough. Just delete the older demos and you'll be fine.
Recommended games: Burnout: Revenge, Fight Night Round 3, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, and of course Gears of War.
Good luck and enjoy the 360, I certainly have.

superklye
06-09-07, 05:36 PM
Don't overlook GRAW, GRAW2 and/or Rainbow 6 as well.

Toss3
06-09-07, 05:49 PM
I'm using VGA and apart from the weird and completely random blackouts I have, it's fantastic. Plus, it lets me run the 360 at my TV's native resolution of 1360x768.

Oh, and it lets you upconvert DVDs from the HD DVD drive, too. ;)
Huh? I used vga on my monitor, and now and my TV and it looks pretty crappy compared to component(maybe I should do another comparison :-/). :headexplode: And does the 360 only upscale DVDs from the HD-DVD drive?

LiquidX
06-09-07, 06:17 PM
I would recommend the 20GB version pkirby11 as your not going to be downloading any HD movies and even then, they only last 24hours so space shouldn't matter much and if anything you can just delete a demo or two. Speaking of demo's almost all the good games have one so I would say just download and try them but I will recommend Kameo, Dead Rising & Lost Planet but they're plenty of others. They look great over VGA but being that 360 ships with the component cables I would say test it too see if the quality suits you and if it does save yourself $30.

superklye
06-09-07, 06:58 PM
Huh? I used vga on my monitor, and now and my TV and it looks pretty crappy compared to component(maybe I should do another comparison :-/). :headexplode: And does the 360 only upscale DVDs from the HD-DVD drive?
Yeup...you have to have the DVDs in the HD DVD drive, otherwise no upconversion.

pkirby11
06-09-07, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to get the XBox 360 with 20GB HDD and I guess I will try my luck with the VGA cable and see how it goes. I can always return it if I don't like it. :D

ENU291
06-09-07, 09:37 PM
Using the VGA option after the spring update is (IMO) the BEST way to connect your 360 to a computer monitor. Your 2707 has component in and the 360 looks great using it but there is noticable lag. That problem does not exist when using the VGA interface.

LycosV
06-10-07, 01:10 AM
If you want to save some money, don't get a Microsoft brand name VGA cable. I got a madcatz brand VGA cable on mine and it works with no problems and has a really long cable to boot.

pkirby11
06-10-07, 03:27 AM
Well after a couple of hours of GoW I'm quite happy with my purchase. The 360 looks damn nice on my 2707 at 1080P and I couldn't be happier. HD Gaming looks better than I imagined and I'm loving the 360. Thanks for the advice guys!

hordaktheman
06-10-07, 10:09 AM
Yeup...you have to have the DVDs in the HD DVD drive, otherwise no upconversion.
Upscaling is done on the regular DVD drive as well.

As for the component vs. VGA issue, it depends on the screen. If the OP is connecting it to a Dell monitor, then chances are high that the component inputs are pretty crappy.

superklye
06-10-07, 10:19 AM
Upscaling is done on the regular DVD drive as well.

As for the component vs. VGA issue, it depends on the screen. If the OP is connecting it to a Dell monitor, then chances are high that the component inputs are pretty crappy.
Wow...MS's FAQ made it seem like you needed the HD DVD drive in order for there to be upconversion.

Toss3
06-10-07, 10:44 AM
Wow...MS's FAQ made it seem like you needed the HD DVD drive in order for there to be upconversion.
Yeah, I got that impression too? :confused:

hordaktheman
06-10-07, 11:57 AM
Could be they're referring to playback over a component connection? The 360 has always been able to upscale over VGA, and the only reason it doesn't over component is due to licensing required to do so.

superklye
06-10-07, 01:54 PM
Could be they're referring to playback over a component connection? The 360 has always been able to upscale over VGA, and the only reason it doesn't over component is due to licensing required to do so.
Well, not licensing...the CSS encryption/copy protection on DVDs doesn't allow upconversion over a non-secure connection.

So the most you can ever get out of component is 480p for SD upconversion.

hordaktheman
06-10-07, 04:57 PM
Are you sure? Truth is I've heard a lot of conflicting reasons given for it; licensing always struck me as the most plausible since VGA should be no more nor less secure than component. Either way, there's no technical reason why it shouldn't, and my modded Xbox1 does upscaling over component quite beautifully.

superklye
06-10-07, 07:52 PM
Are you sure? Truth is I've heard a lot of conflicting reasons given for it; licensing always struck me as the most plausible since VGA should be no more nor less secure than component. Either way, there's no technical reason why it shouldn't, and my modded Xbox1 does upscaling over component quite beautifully.
I'm pretty sure since upconverting DVD players as well as the stand-alone HD DVD players require HDMI or DVI for upconversion higher than 480p.

I used component for a while on my Toshiba HD-A2 until getting an HDMI cable and the player always started in 720p but would freak out and change resolution to 480p for SD DVDs with an error about that format not being possible over component.

You sure you're not just getting 480p over component on your modded Xbox? Then again...maybe you are since it could be circumventing the CSS encryption.

Lyme
06-10-07, 08:17 PM
The vga interface is just as insecure as component. While you may be right about only vga and hdmi upsampling, the reason isn't.

hordaktheman
06-10-07, 08:26 PM
Ya, that's why I think it's a licensing issue. I think I read somewhere that the patent is owned by Faroudja and limited only to component; that is, if you want to upscale over component you have to pay a licensing fee while there are no such restrictions for DVI/VGA. I do know that there are some DVD players that allow upscaling over component (Oppo, using Faroudja tech, for example).

As for the Xbox, it's upscaling for certain; the TV reports a 720p signal and, due to having a rather rotten internal scaler, there's a very visible improvement.