PDA

View Full Version : 16QxAA vs. 16xAA....

$n][pErMan
06-10-07, 11:32 AM
As the title states, what is the difference between these two modes? I often find myself choosing between these two but not really sure what the difference is. I can't even see the difference if there is one and its hard to tell if there is a performance hit when the games run smooth as hell in both modes anyway. :)

Apollo 13
06-10-07, 11:42 AM
[pErMan']As the title states, what is the difference between these two modes? I often find myself choosing between these two but not really sure what the difference is. I can't even see the difference if there is one and its hard to tell if there is a performance hit when the games run smooth as hell in both modes anyway. :)

same here....I like to use 8X or 8Q though and I just can't tell the difference.

hirantha
06-10-07, 11:56 AM
i go with 8AA or 4AA sometimes 16AA eventhough i dont notice any diff at 16AA

SwedX
06-10-07, 12:05 PM
Its an extreme performance difference between the Q mode and X mode.
Read up here.
IMO 16X is more then enough and it's performance hit is not to much as it only do 4 Z samples same as 4MSSAA does against the 16Q mode who does 8 Z samples just as the 8Q mode does.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/geforce-8800/index.x?pg=7

Quote "To my eye, CSAA works, and works well. In fact, 16xQ looks no more effective to me than the 16X mode, despite having twice as many stored color and Z samples. You can see direct comparisons of all of the G80's modes to the G71 and R580+ in the larger image comparison table on the next page, but first, let's look at how CSAA impacts performance"