PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 question regarding new VGA options via spring update

SeriTonin
06-10-07, 01:04 PM
I just purchased a 360 about half a week ago, I'm still in the middle of a move and have no internet for 2 weeks, I'm gonna bring the 360 into work tomorrow so I can do the spring update, I read there are 3 options with vga/ colors to help the saturation, which of the 3 options did you guys find to look best?

Peoples-Agent
06-10-07, 02:16 PM
I just purchased a 360 about half a week ago, I'm still in the middle of a move and have no internet for 2 weeks, I'm gonna bring the 360 into work tomorrow so I can do the spring update, I read there are 3 options with vga/ colors to help the saturation, which of the 3 options did you guys find to look best?

I set mine to the max , then tinkered with the contrast and what not. Looks 101% better than before. The colours are so much more vibrant, and on my setup it actually looks better than using my Component lead due to the crispness.

hordaktheman
06-10-07, 02:18 PM
It ultimately depends on your screen. If you're using an LCD with poor black levels then 'standard' or 'intermediary' may give you the best results, whereas they may look washed out compared to 'expanded' on a display with good black levels. Also, if you're using 720p/1080i resolutions your screen may handle the signal differently to, say, 1360x768 and introduce overscan and a number of other image processing like different brightness levels. My screen, for example, looks better at 1360x768 using the 'standard' setting than it does at 720p using 'expanded' because overscan introduces some stupid brightness levels causing the image to become washed out.

I was fine with using 'standard' at 1360x768 until the spring update. I now have it set to 'intermediate', which gives the image ever so slightly better colors.

NaitoSan
06-10-07, 03:48 PM
I set mine to Intermediate and it looks better. Expended is way too dark for me.

Lyme
06-10-07, 05:11 PM
There was a post from a microsofty describing why they added the additional modes and more or less the values of such, unfortunately I can't find the link. From what I remember the initial problem was caused by the component outputs, where the technical specs say a value of ?+8? is absolute black. However when it comes to the vga standard +0 is absolute black. The mistake was outputting the +8 standard by default for everything, which made most vga connections look washed out. As a nice improvement instead of just implementing the "spec" for both connections MS made it user selectable of +0 .. +? .. ?+8? for absolute black.

For me and my 44" toshiba dlp, I like the middle setting. Normal is washed out, max is too dark, and middle works fine. I recommend trying all three and picking what works with your setup, trying them doesn't hurt anything.

Amuro
06-10-07, 09:28 PM
If you use it with a PC monitor, you'll definitely benefit from max.