PDA

View Full Version : 8800GTX problem, I think...

The General
06-11-07, 01:06 AM
So I got a new system a few weeks ago with the following specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
2 x eVGA 8800GTX
4GB (4 x 1GB) OCZ DDR2-1066 "SLi Ready"
eVGA 680i "T1" mobo
150GB Raptor
500GB Caviar
Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
750w PC Power & Cooling PSU
Dell 24" 1920x1200 / HDTV 1080p panel
Windows Vista 32-bit / Debian Linux "sid"
Plugged into a UPS

I soon realized that SLi with two monitors, and switching back and forth was a huge pain in the arse, and that 4GB of RAM does NOT work in 32-bit Vista. So I sent 2GB of RAM and an 8800GTX back for a refund. As soon as I got that refund money, I started having major problems.

The day I got the money, I got home from work and wiggled my mouse to turn the screen saver off but the screensaver hanged, then I got a BSoD and my computer restarted and kept restarting and beeping and restarting, so I held the power button until it turned off. I figured that my UPS was dead, and indeed it is. So I plugged the computer into the wall, restarted and it started but was hanging during POST. I reset the CMOS and started fiddling in the BIOS, but it would hang in the BIOS too! :(

I took the computer completely apart and put it back together. Sometimes that fixes the unknown. :cool: But this time it didn't. :headexplode:

This time my computer booted fine, and would work fine for a few hours, maybe 4 at most. That is, unless I tried to play a game. I loaded CS:S and connected to my favorite server... as soon as it got out of the menu and to the 3D stuff it froze. I can alt-tab out of it, though, and kill it. Just the game would freeze. I could get an error message out of it, but I can't remember what it is now... because I didn't write it down and now I just get BSoD when I try to play the game.

Games in Linux worked fine ... until I started telling people that. Now I get kernel panics in Linux when I try to play games. If I set it to use the VESA drivers everything works fine. Same for Windows, if I uninstall the Nvidia drivers and use the stock ones or whatever, the frame buffer ones with no acceleration, it works fine. No BSoD, no freezing or anything. Of course, I can't play games that way either, so oh well.

Anyway, I reinstalled Windows and it worked fine for a few hours and then started doing the same thing. Right now, I'm in Vista. If I move this Firefox window around, the drivers crash and recover, and I get that bubble at the bottom right telling me that. I can reproduce it over and over, move the Window, drivers crash. I can type on this all day long, but as soon as I move the window, the drivers crash. The strange thing is that if I move it slowly, they don't crash! WTF?? Same with scrolling ... if I scroll with my wheel and it goes choppy scrolling slowly, they don't crash, but if I scroll with the scroll bar quickly, they crash. Slowly they don't crash.

How does this even make sense? It's confusing at best. Very confusing.

I put an RMA request in to eVGA and I am awaiting their response, but I think it might be my PSU. I know it's not my motherboard or anything else. Prime95 runs for hours on end with 0 errors. Same with memtest86.

Can I get some input from anyone on what this might be? I don't know how to test whether or not it's my PSU ... I have a volt meter, but I know almost nothing about power supplies and how to test them. :o

This is really irritating. :headexplode:

EDIT: Oh, and you know that 3D spinning Nvidia symbol in the nvidia control panel? It works but the drivers crash over and over, and about evert 5 times it works for like 10 seconds... during those ten seconds there are allllll kinds of artifacts.

The General
06-12-07, 05:07 PM
Tough crowd...

Camp0rz
06-12-07, 07:52 PM
test the components individually.

mynakedrat
06-12-07, 08:19 PM
i think its the motherboard. try anotehr pci e card of a friends, or buy a cheapo 86oo and test

Slammin
06-13-07, 12:59 AM
Definitely memory. I have the same memory and saw the exact same symtoms.

The problem is, that ram is rated from 2.1 or 2.2v default (can't remember) though OCZ warantees it up to 2.4v. If you run it above 2.1v w/o active cooling, it will toast the ram such that the ram will eventually require more than 2.1 to be stable, and definitely more than the bios default 1.85 to post. If you run into that posting loop again, shut it off and let it cool down. After you fire it up agian, you should have enough time to get into the bios and up vdimm.

This is why most folks with performance ram with these 680i mobo's usually wound up buying a cheapie 512m stick just to post with when they blow up an overclock attempt and have to reset bios.

You can RMA the ram, but don't be surprised if you get the same sticks back. I would suggest you just go ahead and bump vdimm up (no higher than 2.2v), adding some air if you need. The corsair ram cooler is nice, though that one OCZ sells looks good too (I have the Corsair one).

Also, file this note in the back of your head, but in worse case scenarios, and I have had to do this twice already in addition to using a cheap stick of ram, is sometimes you may have to remove one of your vid cards if you cannot get out of that C1 bios error condition, which you will eventually see one of these days if you tinker with oc'ing too much. Abit website troubleshooting checklist lists removing vid card after checking ram, and sure nuff, sometimes the only way I can post is to go down to one cheapie stick of ram, and one single vid card.

Welcome to 680i! :headexplode:

Madpistol
06-13-07, 09:11 AM
I never set my ram above 2.1V. Anything higher than that is just not needed, especially for overclocking.

Word of advice: Keep your voltages as low as you possibly can. No matter what. ;)

The General
06-13-07, 10:30 AM
vdimm is set on auto and it shows 2.3v to the right of that. Should I set it lower? Do you think the RAM is ruined or is just overheating?

Slammin
06-13-07, 03:12 PM
Most likely over heating, which is why you can post after it being off for awhile.

Problem with this performance ram is, it needs so much vdimm to run at advertised speeds and after running at high vdimm for a period of time, it can no longer function with low (1.85) vdimm and post problems occur.

I wouldn't call it defective, but it has most likely permanently changed characteristics as I describe above. Up to you how you want to deal with it. RMA every few weeks, buy a spare stick, etc., exchange for different type, or just know/be aware of what ya got.

mynakedrat
06-13-07, 05:21 PM
but it could be the memory bus that communicates with the planar also.

8800gtsfan
06-17-07, 03:16 PM
Tough crowd...

Yea, well no one here is gonna tell you it's an Nvidia problem causing it. :p

A few things to note. 4GB of ram is a waste unless you run Vista-64 which is just crap still. Performance is slower than XP or Vista 32 and lots of problems with apps and drivers. I have been running it off and on just to take advantage of the 6Gb of ram I have. It's never worth it and I end up wiping it off every few weeks cause it's just more frustrating than anything.

The motherboard you have, with the 680 chipset is again another problematic part. I would stick with p965 motherboards after using about 6 different motherboards. They are just more stable and overall more reliable.

The problems you are still having really sound power related. Of course you have a PC Power and Cooling unit... so the chances of that are less likely than if you had a generic 400 watt 12oz PSU. Still the problems sound power related.

Ah now we arrive at the quad core. They run hot, they tax the motherboard. My buddy has a P5B-Deluxe and DS3 rev 3.3. On the Asus board the quad core locks up every 10 - 15 mins. On the DS3 it works relatively well. He has some intermittent issues still. Could also be the cause.

Memory - I have a 2Gb kit of OCZ PC-8500 that is memtest stable over 1100. But at any time while running this kit I get random reboots, freezes in games and BSODs. The kit will run the **** out of memtest and orthos blend but everytime I think I am giving it enough voltage and have the timings tuned even at it's stock settings I will get that random crash, freeze or reboot. It always happens. Now I can pop in my 2GB ballistix 8000 or Mushkin 4GB HP-6400 and I never have a crash. So, memory could also be the cause but in my case all indications are that it's stable. Try with 1 stick, then the other to see if you have a bad stick maybe.

So my suggestions are... try another PSU, try with 1 stick of memory then the other...try with a dual core cpu if possible. Its gonna take some work to nail it, there is no easy fix for this one.

Slammin
06-17-07, 07:01 PM
"Yea, well no one here is gonna tell you it's an Nvidia problem causing it. :p "

Idiotic statement.

"A few things to note. 4GB of ram is a waste unless you run Vista-64 which is just crap still. Performance is slower than XP or Vista 32 and lots of problems with apps and drivers. I have been running it off and on just to take advantage of the 6Gb of ram I have. It's never worth it and I end up wiping it off every few weeks cause it's just more frustrating than anything."

Idiotic statement. And you run 6Gb ram with a 32bit OS? I run 4gb on Vista64 exclusively and I'm a gamer too.

"The motherboard you have, with the 680 chipset is again another problematic part. I would stick with p965 motherboards after using about 6 different motherboards. They are just more stable and overall more reliable."

Some truth to that but the problem the OP is having exists there too, plus no Sli with those chipsets.

"The problems you are still having really sound power related. Of course you have a PC Power and Cooling unit... so the chances of that are less likely than if you had a generic 400 watt 12oz PSU. Still the problems sound power related."

Idiotic statement.

"Ah now we arrive at the quad core. They run hot, they tax the motherboard. My buddy has a P5B-Deluxe and DS3 rev 3.3. On the Asus board the quad core locks up every 10 - 15 mins. On the DS3 it works relatively well. He has some intermittent issues still. Could also be the cause."

Huh?

"Memory - I have a 2Gb kit of OCZ PC-8500 that is memtest stable over 1100. But at any time while running this kit I get random reboots, freezes in games and BSODs. The kit will run the **** out of memtest and orthos blend but everytime I think I am giving it enough voltage and have the timings tuned even at it's stock settings I will get that random crash, freeze or reboot. It always happens. Now I can pop in my 2GB ballistix 8000 or Mushkin 4GB HP-6400 and I never have a crash. So, memory could also be the cause but in my case all indications are that it's stable. Try with 1 stick, then the other to see if you have a bad stick maybe."

No comment

"So my suggestions are... try another PSU, try with 1 stick of memory then the other...try with a dual core cpu if possible. Its gonna take some work to nail it, there is no easy fix for this one."

OK, and then what, try another case, power cord, wall outlet? Dude, go lay down.

8800gtsfan
06-17-07, 08:13 PM
OK, and then what, try another case, power cord, wall outlet? Dude, go lay down.

Reading comprehension isn't for everyone, is it?

I run 6GB of memory when I'm running Vista 64 which will last a week or two and I have too many issues and get frustrated and reformat. I run 2GB or 4GB when I run a 32bit OS. I'll run Vista 64 for a few weeks then go back to a 32bit OS. I have 3 PCs, so on my main rig in my sig I like to just tinker.

Quad core chips have problems on some current motherboards. Too bad you think thats an idiotic statement - its true. :D I know you are trying to just be a dick

Sorry if I troubleshoot alot of computers for people, so yes, I do see alot of strange crap...."another power cord and outlet". Truth be told, a buddy of mine had problems with PC and turns out in a 100 year old farm house... the outlet wasn't grounded properly. So guess what changing to another outlet ACTUALLY fixed a problem for someone LOL....

Some people that don't contribute positively should just not post at all. I'm glad your post count went up by one - another negative useless post for us to read...joy.

So when did you change your name from kevJ420 to slammin??

Slammin
06-17-07, 08:40 PM
I have underwear older than you, except your age is showing; I use Tide and they still look brand spanking new and smell flowery soft! :D

Really, re-read your post and try to determine if anything you said was relevent to the OP's particular problem. You named just about everything under the sun as a potential cause of the problem and still missed the main root cause, which in this case is his ram, just as he suspects too. The only reason I posted in this thread is because I have the exact same ram, and went through the exact same experience as the OP.

There are many threads to be found regarding the behavior of Micron D9 ram chips and the symptoms all point to that as the cause of the OP's problem.

Keep troubleshooting your friends computers. Pretty soon you will have a mob after you! :D

8800gtsfan
06-17-07, 09:29 PM
I have underwear older than you, except your age is showing; I use Tide and they still look brand spanking new and smell flowery soft! :D

Really, re-read your post and try to determine if anything you said was relevent to the OP's particular problem. You named just about everything under the sun as a potential cause of the problem and still missed the main root cause, which in this case is his ram, just as he suspects too. The only reason I posted in this thread is because I have the exact same ram, and went through the exact same experience as the OP.

There are many threads to be found regarding the behavior of Micron D9 ram chips and the symptoms all point to that as the cause of the OP's problem.

Keep troubleshooting your friends computers. Pretty soon you will have a mob after you! :D

yea, I told him to try testing with 1 stick then the other. learn to read.

MUYA
06-17-07, 09:52 PM
The key here to help the OP and not get into a personal slinging match.

Thanks

8800gtsfan
06-17-07, 10:05 PM
The key here to help the OP and not get into a personal slinging match.

Thanks

Exactly and thats what I was trying to do when slammin shows up and posts useless flames. Ban him already, his history contains alot of useless flames.