PDA

View Full Version : Major performance issues......

Grov
06-11-07, 01:22 PM
Ok guys heres the trick.

I was using 158.19 and they were great with my 8800GTX. I then installed 158.22, and DOW Dark Crusade was really slow, it was like slow motion. Went back to .19 and it's still the same. I used Driver Cleaner? What gives. Im a bit stumped.

Zenoth
06-11-07, 01:31 PM
Ok guys heres the trick.

I was using 158.19 and they were great with my 8800GTX. I then installed 158.22, and DOW Dark Crusade was really slow, it was like slow motion. Went back to .19 and it's still the same. I used Driver Cleaner? What gives. Im a bit stumped.

'Sup !

Man, we have a very similar system, and I play Dawn of War -Dark Crusade- just like you, however that game can get very slow on my system as well. It's a very stressful game despite its age (well the engine used is old, it's the same from the original Dawn of War and there has been almost no optimizations up to Dark Crusade). That game makes an extensive use of vertex shaders, or so I've read often, and even a GTX can get owned by that game. Believe me. I know it might be surprising but it's true.

I am using the 160.02 drivers though.

But if you want to increase performance in Dark Crusade I suggest you to disable the Shadows and set the Persistent Bodies to None, I've noticed that those two options alone are the major causes of the slow downs even on high end systems.

I'd like to find the discussion forum again where I've read some complaints in a thread in relation to that game specifically, there was a guy with a CrossFire setup, using two X1950XT's and he experienced some heavy slow downs in big battles, especially in 4 Vs. 4 games where the total number of units in the map can easily exceed the 400 mark, which is a huge number to sustain for the engine. It's as if the developers permitted the engine to render more than it's actually capable to, similar to the Total War series.

SLippe
06-11-07, 01:33 PM
Hmmmm...

Uninstall again, run DC again and reboot before reinstalling drivers. You might try CCleaner after you run DC as well. Probably just a bad install. Just make sure you reboot after cleaning and after install drivers.

SemperFi
06-11-07, 01:39 PM
Driver Cleaner has fubar'd my Chipset drivers many times, even running it in safe mode. You may need to reinstall them.

SLippe
06-11-07, 01:46 PM
Driver Cleaner has fubar'd my Chipset drivers many times, even running it in safe mode. You may need to reinstall them.
Chipset as in your motherboard? I don't use DC for that. I only use it for cleaning display drivers. Make sure it is set to "nvidia" only for just display/video drivers. I think I used it once for nforce/mobo drivers and yeah, it sucked.

Grov
06-11-07, 01:58 PM
Updated sig to the PC i actually have now.

Ill repeat. The game was flawless before i tried to install the new drivers, ran very fast.

I definatly only selected Nvidia in Driver cleaner, didn't touch chipset drivers, and it's a Intel mobo anyways.:D

SemperFi
06-12-07, 12:56 AM
I've set it to only clean nvidia display drivers many times and my chipset drivers have gotten messed up. It was just a suggestion. Good luck.

Grov
06-12-07, 01:52 PM
I re-installed .22 and it was great in Dark Crusade. Turned PC on today and it was slow as hell. he only difference, was i had Rivatuner running, and didn't before? Must be the problem.