PDA

View Full Version : id Software's new game engine!

Pages : [1] 2 3

jAkUp
06-11-07, 04:14 PM
Screenshots inside!

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/06/11/id-software-debuts-new-engine-at-apple-conference/

methimpikehoses
06-11-07, 04:18 PM
cool screens (nana2)

methimpikehoses
06-11-07, 04:44 PM
Apple ftw :D

That struck me as odd that id and apple had a connection... I didn't know that they were shacking up.

Monolyth
06-11-07, 04:47 PM
Eh...

Not impressed with the face textures at all...

Environment looks nice, but desert is easy...let's see a jungle...or perhaps just some real lookin' prairie land.

Oregon Trail - Redux!!! :D

Marvel_us
06-11-07, 04:51 PM
The lighting looks pretty good but I can't really judge the pics because they're too small.

Guess we'll also find out how well the engine scales at E3.
Carmack finished off the tease saying, "We're going to be showing on a Mac, PC, PS3, and Xbox at E3, we'll have another Mac announcement at E3."

esir
06-11-07, 05:05 PM
Awesome,i always loved id games. :)

mojoman0
06-11-07, 05:16 PM
what the hell's their obsession with shiny and glowing objects?? Same as their last engine...not everything glows in real life!

SH64
06-11-07, 05:35 PM
Is it OpenGL ?

Redeemed
06-11-07, 05:46 PM
Is it OpenGL ?

Yes.

So far I'm disappointed. For all the bad-mouthing of DX10 Carmack has been doing, he sure hasn't delivered much in the way of competition visually if those tiny screenshots really are anything to go off of.

For now I'll not develop a final opinion- but these first shot do disappoint me. That character doesn't look much better than the ones we saw in Quake4. The textures look low-res. And as stated earlier, dessert is eay- let's see a city, or a forest, jungle, prairie, etc.

Knot3D
06-11-07, 05:53 PM
It looks like Motorstorm with fugly over the top specular mapping. That was one of the biggest crits on D3 engine...and now they just bring it back anyhow ?

rudedog
06-11-07, 05:58 PM
remember guys these are taken via a camera pointed at a video screen with some bad lighting thrown in.

We need actual screen shots not 2nd hand shots by a who knows what type of camera.

hirantha
06-11-07, 06:05 PM
getting close to realistic gaming!

BioHazZarD
06-11-07, 06:07 PM
So it will be a motorstorm game or what?

SwedX
06-11-07, 06:12 PM
looks hmm I dont know, but from what I can see it dident impress at all.
An updated Doom3 engine maybe, nextgen my a.s

SH64
06-11-07, 06:16 PM
I'll wait for a realtime video & screenshots to make a judgment.
so far not so impressed :|

christos
06-11-07, 07:35 PM
They did say that they put together this demo in 10 days (ign). For that amount of time, I think it's pretty impressive.

AngelGraves13
06-11-07, 07:41 PM
They have yet to use the new OpenGL which isn't out yet that will match the DirectX 10 feature set. It's coming in summer with an update (part 2 of the new OpenGL) coming in fall. Once the engine gets a new renderpath to it...we should be really amazed. It's still much too soon to know anything though. Remember the DOOM 3 engine demo?

six_storm
06-11-07, 07:42 PM
Yeah, in case anyone didn't notice, id revealed the Doom 3 technology at a MacWorld conference along with the revealing of the GeForce 3. Just gotta wait for the WWDC video for me to watch. :D

Nv40
06-11-07, 07:54 PM
It looks like they need to do a lot more work to match the outdoors graphics in games we already have seen . Unreal3/Crysis/project offset tech ,alanwake and other next gen games.. from PS3 (motorstorm.HS) and Xbox360 already have game with more detailed graphics. THe lighting is also incorrect ,many surfaces have a metalic look and the textures looks low resolution . It looks good in 1 or maybe 2 screen shots but nothing that we havent seen before. Maybe is the bad quality jpegs.

update..
It looks a lot better in motion.. and from distance .. again just like Doom3. Lol!!
It looks like they are working on a Mad Max style game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvuTtrkVtns

WeReWoLf
06-11-07, 11:01 PM
Personally i'm quite impressed. If they can do that in 10 days, i can't wait to see what they can do with a full dev time.

a12ctic
06-11-07, 11:28 PM
looks like plastic toys.

based on the screenshots, it appears that the objects are non-destructible.

everytime i see an Id game, the first thing that goes into my mind... low physics effects.

almost non existent vegetation... they didn't left mars.

http://www.engadget.com/media/2007/06/dsc_5201.jpg
Please, name one game with remotely impressive physics? "HALF LIFE TOOO LOL" yeah, because a bunch of random **** scattered on the ground for no reason is excellent physics! Seriously, developers just havn't figured out how to efficiently implant advanced physics into games yet.

MUYA
06-11-07, 11:37 PM
From the video, seems all immersive.....ie you can ride a vehicle, talk to NPCs and well presumably shoot things/people up.

You guys are seeing are compressed stills or movies, wait before making judgement about the quality etc...talk about whiny lil....heheheeh nevermind :p

mrrolf
06-11-07, 11:43 PM
That struck me as odd that id and apple had a connection... I didn't know that they were shacking up.

iD first showed off the Doom3 engine at a Mac talk just like this. If I remember they were showing off the power of GeForce3.

|MaguS|
06-12-07, 12:02 AM
Please, name one game with remotely impressive physics? "HALF LIFE TOOO LOL" yeah, because a bunch of random **** scattered on the ground for no reason is excellent physics! Seriously, developers just havn't figured out how to efficiently implant advanced physics into games yet.

Tomb Raider Legends used physics pretty good with the grapple and puzzles. Oblivion had great physics aswell, Motorstorm aswell had it all good... oh let us not forget all the great racing simulations. Remeber physics doesn't just mean object boucing properly but how things react properly aswell.

Hell even EQ2 could be said to have good physics aswell considering how well the water reacts to player interaction and how clothing reacts properly aswell.

mullet
06-12-07, 12:16 AM
10 days WOW, I am impressed. I am sure this will run on Linux as well.