PDA

View Full Version : Age of Empires 2. High resolution

Pages : [1] 2

Tygerwoody
06-11-07, 07:07 PM
Is there anyway to go above 1280x1024 resoltion in AoE2? Even if it were 1600x1200 that would help. I have a 1920x1200 monitor and it would be nice to have the extra viewing. Theres bound to be some kind of inf file or crack in order to get this to work.

Tygerwoody
06-12-07, 01:05 PM
Anyone? Or is it not possible? :o

CaptNKILL
06-12-07, 01:43 PM
That'd be a pretty massive resolution for a game like that. Everything would be so tiny.

If you can't find it on yahoo or google, it probably isn't possible.

nekrosoft13
06-12-07, 02:00 PM
widescreengaming forum would be right place to check.

flukester
06-12-07, 02:16 PM
1280x1024 was the max res for this game, afaik. there is no hack and nothing on widescreen gaming forums. It's hard coded in the game.

Tygerwoody
06-12-07, 02:23 PM
widescreengaming forum would be right place to check.
I checked. No luck :(

Yes CaptNKill, i know the resolution would be very high, but I play ALL RTS games with very high resolution. Age of Empires 2 is BY FAR my favorite RTS game and it appears it doesnt support high res(being as old as it is..). High resolution gives you a MUCH better view of what is going on while playing. Right now I am extremely limited

Tygerwoody
06-12-07, 02:31 PM
1280x1024 was the max res for this game, afaik. there is no hack and nothing on widescreen gaming forums. It's hard coded in the game.
i swear i remember seeing a screenshot of AoE2 with high resolution....

Theres bound to be a hack for it. There's hack for nearly every peice of software.

If there isn't a hack, I will make one! I will name it, the Tygerwoody Super Res AoE2 Hack. Then I'll be famous. :D

(yea right, I couldn't even hack my way through Oblivion INF files... much less anything else. :( )

zoomy942
06-12-07, 02:34 PM
i know the hack..

its

"all your tyger are belong to us"

Tr1cK
06-12-07, 02:40 PM
"all your tyger are belong to us"

I wonder what "all your woody are belong to us" will get you?

Capt. Picard
06-12-07, 03:02 PM
Aaaahhh. Age of Empires 2. Good Times.

Mongols FTW!!!

CaptNKILL
06-12-07, 03:42 PM
I was actually thinking of picking up the AOE collection at Wal-Mart. It has the first 2 games and their expansions for a measly $10.

AOE 3 is the only RTS I've played through more than once.

Do the other games have a story-driven campaign like AOE3?

WeReWoLf
06-12-07, 03:50 PM
yes.

sharangad
06-12-07, 04:50 PM
I checked. No luck :(

Yes CaptNKill, i know the resolution would be very high, but I play ALL RTS games with very high resolution. Age of Empires 2 is BY FAR my favorite RTS game and it appears it doesnt support high res(being as old as it is..). High resolution gives you a MUCH better view of what is going on while playing. Right now I am extremely limited

You should try playing really old Windown '95 PC games like "Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire" or Rogue Squadron. They will pop up a list of all resolutions supported by the graphics card and monitor.

'twas in the 21st century that games stopped asking the hardware what the available resolutions are.

Tygerwoody
06-12-07, 06:58 PM
I was actually thinking of picking up the AOE collection at Wal-Mart. It has the first 2 games and their expansions for a measly $10.

AOE 3 is the only RTS I've played through more than once.

Do the other games have a story-driven campaign like AOE3?
AoE3 is a piece of trash. AoE2 is lightyears ahead of AoE3 in terms of strategy use and all around fun.

Bman212121
06-12-07, 07:09 PM
AoE3 is a piece of trash. AoE2 is lightyears ahead of AoE3 in terms of strategy use and all around fun.

I figured if you were playing that old game, you don't like AOE3.

@CaptnKill: You can ignore that comment, cause there are a lot of things that AOE3 does better than AOE2. I would definitely suggest picking up the first two as they are fun, but there are a lot of little things you'll notice where each successive title does better than the previous one. For instance, when you play stock AOE2, it will drive you insane because the farms have to be manually reseeded where as with the expansion you get a farm queue that you can reseed. They are still fun, but you'll really begin to miss some of the things that are present in 3 like only 3 resources instead of 4 and you can get infinate of each resource whereas in 2 or 1 would could get screwed because there usually wasn't much stone on the maps or there wasn't gold nearby. I don't want to derail this thread with a AOE2 vs AOE3 comparison as they are both good games as is the original.

CaptNKILL
06-12-07, 08:44 PM
I think the level of fun is up to the player. I know AoE3 wasn't that well received but I had a blast with it both times I played through it.

Tygerwoody
06-12-07, 09:15 PM
I figured if you were playing that old game, you don't like AOE3.

@CaptnKill: You can ignore that comment, cause there are a lot of things that AOE3 does better than AOE2. I would definitely suggest picking up the first two as they are fun, but there are a lot of little things you'll notice where each successive title does better than the previous one. For instance, when you play stock AOE2, it will drive you insane because the farms have to be manually reseeded where as with the expansion you get a farm queue that you can reseed. They are still fun, but you'll really begin to miss some of the things that are present in 3 like only 3 resources instead of 4 and you can get infinate of each resource whereas in 2 or 1 would could get screwed because there usually wasn't much stone on the maps or there wasn't gold nearby. I don't want to derail this thread with a AOE2 vs AOE3 comparison as they are both good games as is the original.
derail the thread all you want. AoE3 is garbage.

AoE 1 was good. AoE 2 was(still is) the best RTS ever created.

Maybe I am a little harsh on AoE3 because I thought it would actually be a good game. I was hoping it would continue with the AoE/AoE2 franchise, but with 3d graphics. Instead they made a completely different game that is trash all around.

AoE1 and 2 were games that had you play from nearly the begining of man, up until guns started appears. Without guns, you had to form strategy according to the situation. With AoE3 the exact opposite is happening. You START OUT with guns. You use NO strategy. Basically whoever has the biggest gun wins. AoE3 is basically a remake of Empire Earth, just with a few less ages. Empire Earth was garbage and AoE3 is only more so.

Give AoE2 a shot. If you don't think AoE2 is alot better, I'll send you the $10 to buy the copy from you.

flukester
06-12-07, 10:08 PM
Get Empire Earth II w/Art of Supremacy. Just as good as AOE 2 and has all the resolutions. EE2 is a pretty darn close substitute. I like AOE2 and EE2 style RTS, you can kick up your feet while you play.

Empire Earth III coming soon and looks fantastic.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/image_viewer/frame_lead.php?pid=938463&img=1&sid=undefined

AOE3 sucks. As did the follow up for Rise of Nations.. game DESTROYED!

Bman212121
06-12-07, 10:24 PM

Maybe I am a little harsh on AoE3 because I thought it would actually be a good game. I was hoping it would continue with the AoE/AoE2 franchise, but with 3d graphics. Instead they made a completely different game that is trash all around.

AoE1 and 2 were games that had you play from nearly the begining of man, up until guns started appears. Without guns, you had to form strategy according to the situation. With AoE3 the exact opposite is happening. You START OUT with guns. You use NO strategy. Basically whoever has the biggest gun wins. AoE3 is basically a remake of Empire Earth, just with a few less ages. Empire Earth was garbage and AoE3 is only more so.

Give AoE2 a shot. If you don't think AoE2 is alot better, I'll send you the $10 to buy the copy from you.

At first I was wondering what you were saying cause in 3 you don't even get a barracks till age 2. But I believe your talking about having better weaponry. I don't think it makes much of a difference what type of weapon they are using since they all deal damage. A group of archers can outshoot a lot of soldiers with rifles so guns aren't always the best choice. Not to mention that swordsmen have much better hand to hand, so you still need to have a balanced army. The only difference between 2 and 3 is they renamed the war wagon and trebuchet to the great bombard and howitzer. A lot of the units still remain the same.

I'm guessing you have a specific group in mind because I'm not following how having guns makes it different. You can easily get mowed over if you have 100 guys mixed with calvary/archers and a couple field guns. In 2 all it takes is a bunch of war wagons and trebuchets with some type of defensive to guard them to level someone.

Whether or not captn thinks 2 is better than 3, 2 is still a good deal at $10. It is a good game but in the IMO category I wouldn't call it the best RTS I've ever played.

CaptNKILL
06-12-07, 11:03 PM

My god Tyger. If someone told you your opinion wasn't always 100% fact would that really come as a surprise to you? :lol:

"ZOMG, everyone is wrong and I am right, _______ is the worst thing ever to be created in the history of the human race and NO ONE SHOULD THINK OTHERWISE!!!!!"

Freaking relax man. :p

Tygerwoody
06-13-07, 08:55 AM
Freaking relax man. :p
The way you use to flame people over Oblivion and how you feel about Oblivion is how I feel about Age of Empires 2. Pot meet Kettle. :D

Age of Empires 3 is garbage. Age of Empires 2 is the best RTS of all time. These are facts. Look it up in an encyclopedia and you will find its correct. :)

zoomy942
06-13-07, 09:29 AM
i have to vote for Age of Mythology as my favorite RTS

flukester
06-13-07, 09:36 AM
Age of Empires 2 is the best RTS of all time. These are facts. Look it up in an encyclopedia and you will find its correct. :)

Is that the "I Want To Believe What I Want" Encyclopedia? AOE2 was good but I wouldn't dub it the Best RTS of all time. You have no facts here man.. Again, check out Empire Earth II, similar game and supports your resolutions.

Tygerwoody
06-13-07, 09:40 AM
Is that the "I Want To Believe What I Want" Encyclopedia? AOE2 was good but I wouldn't dub it the Best RTS of all time. You have no facts here man.. Again, check out Empire Earth II, similar game and supports your resolutions.
Does Empire Earth 2 go to "Nuclear Age" and "Nano Age"? If so, no thanks. If it only goes through the same ages of Age of Empire earth I might give it a shot. :thumbsup: . Biggest reason i hate empire earth 1 and AoE3 is because they go through so many ages. That and the fact that when you did advance in age the ones below you could not even begin to compete.

And Zoomy. Age of Mythology is my second favorite RTS game. Loads of fun. :)

zoomy942
06-13-07, 09:46 AM
And Zoomy. Age of Mythology is my second favorite RTS game. Loads of fun. :)

there is NOTHING like a titan battle. Egyptians FTW, meteor storm all the way