PDA

View Full Version : Save Game Locations, why can't they get with the program.

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
06-12-07, 12:23 AM
One thing that really bothers me for some reason is. Why can't all these game developers get with the damn program, and put the save games where they supposed to be go.

Save games should go all to the same folder in My Documents.
Preferably in My Documents\Saved Games folder, folder that already been decided by few companies to be the default.
In that folder 8 different games have the their files (CnC3, CoH, Oblivion, Civ4, Pirates!, TQ, TQ:IT, CIV4:WAR)

Why other games create their own separate folders in My Documents, which just makes a big giant mess.

Ubisoft and Monolith and Gas Powered Games are the worst offenders. Those companies hide the save games in user profiles.

Is it really so far for them to put the save games in one place so it will be easier to back them up.

|MaguS|
06-12-07, 12:51 AM
I miss the days when they had a "save" folder within the games directory... made it so much easier.

nekrosoft13
06-12-07, 01:13 AM
that was OK too, but i really would wish them to use one folder on the drive.

like My Documents\Saved Games\NAME_OF_GAME

crainger
06-12-07, 01:47 AM
Well the idea of Games for Windows is to encourage devs to make the save folder a somewhat common one or two in the Users folder. From what I've seen they are still all over the shop.

What was nice though is when I moved to Vista I took a copy of my 'My documents' folder and intergrated it into Vista Users folder. Most of my games which I later installed (that used my docs in XP) found the save games and I was away playing again like I never even switched OS.

In the end I agree with |MagNuS| Having them in the games folder was easiest. Instead of having to google to find the location or asking here like a nub :D

SwedX
06-12-07, 06:26 AM
I have hate all these a very long time. Listen up all devs, put saves in the saves folder or be shoot. easy as that.

K007
06-12-07, 08:10 AM
lol not gamebreaking..but it is annoying. I wish they just use one dam folder and use that for everything..ie..when i say install game x here..i mean install here...not have profiles on my documents then have save files in there and other crap...

nekrosoft13
06-12-07, 08:22 AM
when i upgraded from AMD to Intel, and had to reinstall Vista. I didn't realized that Gas Powered Games put Supreme Commander files deep into user profile. I lost all my progress.

Game for Windows and they hide the damn save game files from the user.

I was done with one campaign and about half done with second.

[EOCF] Tim
06-12-07, 08:32 AM
C:\ is for Windows and programs, not for saves, a save folder can take up 100's of MB, I don't want that on my C drive, should be in the same folder as the game! :(

SwedX
06-12-07, 09:51 AM
lol not gamebreaking..but it is annoying. I wish they just use one dam folder and use that for everything..ie..when i say install game x here..i mean install here...not have profiles on my documents then have save files in there and other crap...

True the best is absolutely have all the damn files where I chose to install the games, it should have been that way from the first game ever made.

flukester
06-12-07, 10:18 AM
NFS Underground 2 put them in Applicationdata!... I don't mind as long as they are easy to find under My Documents. EA to me is one of the most inconsistent of all the developers. Sometimes under the EA folder in My Documents and some times just under My Documents.. I personally loved it when it was just a folder under where you installed the game!

Sectus
06-12-07, 12:37 PM
I personally think all game related files should stay within where the actual game is. Reinstalling Windows is a bitch when you have to search through the harddrive to find data files and savegames for each game. And worst of all, you'll have to re-install most of the games and programs because of registry data.

*misses the good old dos days*

nutcrackr
06-12-07, 07:18 PM
I wish the same honestly the game folders in my documents annoy me. They should all go straight into My Games, easy and solved. Then should I need to back up save games I go there and copy the folders and done. Save games in individual game directories make backing up more of a chore.

ynnek
06-12-07, 07:26 PM
Idealistically normal users shouldn't be able to write anywhere outside of temp and their user directory.

All users personal data should be in their personal directory..

If you have to save your personal data, you just backup your user personal directory. Thats it.

So writing saves to My Documents is a step in right direction.. although it could be cleaner if they did save them all in a single spot related to games or something.

Save games should NOT be in the games install directory.

SH64
06-12-07, 08:00 PM
Agree with you nekro .. its getting dang confusing!
there should be a unified folder for all the saved games so i know where to go when i want to backup or clean my HDD.

Q
06-12-07, 09:53 PM
In my opinion, all game saves should go into DocSettings\User\ApplicationData\CompanySoftware OR MyDocs for XP and under Users\USER\Saved Games under Vista.

Backing up your entire profiles saves a boat load of time when wiping and reloading, even if you do get a large backup file.

Bman212121
06-12-07, 11:37 PM
I personally think all game related files should stay within where the actual game is. Reinstalling Windows is a bitch when you have to search through the harddrive to find data files and savegames for each game. And worst of all, you'll have to re-install most of the games and programs because of registry data.

*misses the good old dos days*

I wish MS would take a cue from OS X and integrate all there stuff into the application. That is one of the nicest things that I don't see in any other OS. You don't need to install the App, you just run the executable and it works.

I think the best solution for savegames is just let the user decide. Put in the game installer the ability to pick a folder for all savedata. That way you can put it wherever you want so it is most convienent for you to backup.

LurkerLito
06-12-07, 11:44 PM
Personally I am with Magus on this. All game saves should save in the same directory as where the game was installed. Then there should be a link to the directory in a common area like My Documents.

nekrosoft13
06-13-07, 12:33 AM
Personally I am with Magus on this. All game saves should save in the same directory as where the game was installed. Then there should be a link to the directory in a common area like My Documents.

no, because that still would be a big mess all over the hdd and would not help with back-up.

LycosV
06-13-07, 02:44 AM
ynnek is right, save games shouldn't be in the game folder, especially with things like UAC and multi-user computers. Vista added a "Saved Games" folder within my user folder, they should all be in there (C&C3 puts like half of it's files in there, the other half in My Documents, WTF!).

nekrosoft13
06-13-07, 07:33 AM
for me CnC3 puts all files in saved games folder

LycosV
06-13-07, 01:57 PM
for me CnC3 puts all files in saved games folder
Mine has replays under my documents.

t3hl33td4rg0n
06-19-07, 05:18 AM
Some games... Its just retarded! Look at this mess!

http://four.fsphost.com/ngz01/mydocs.gif

Now why cant they do this?
http://four.fsphost.com/ngz01/mydocs_2.gif

btw, my "My Documents" is the D:\ drive. So consequentially My Pictures = D:\My Pictures, My Music = D:\My Music, and so on.

nekrosoft13
06-19-07, 07:18 AM
i agree with t3hl33td4rg0n

they all should go to that folder.

SH0DAN
06-19-07, 07:57 PM
I miss the days when they had a "save" folder within the games directory... made it so much easier.

This is the way it should be done!

The hell with using My Documents.... :thumbdwn:

ynnek
06-19-07, 08:12 PM
The hell with using My Documents.... :thumbdwn:

You know I used to think that way too.. Until I used unix environments alot, and found how simple to simply find EVERYTHING that pertains to me sitting in one place, from documents, to work, to my preference files and stuff.

Then i started to use My Documents on my Windows boxes..But over the years, I got lazy and started to save things in other places...

A month ago, I built a new system, and had to transfer all my work and stuff over to the new computer.. It was a pain because I stored some files in my documents, so other files in another directory, and then for osme reason, I stored all my music projects and patterns all in other folders all over another drive.. what a nitemare in huting everything down and tracking if I missed anything.

This time, I'm storing stuff like documents, project files, etc in "My Documents" whenever possible.. Also, I'll be implementing a backup that will simply backup "My Documents"..

I still have a one extra folder outside of it all, which stores my digital camera pics.. i'm debating if I want to keep thatin "my documents" or not for various reasons.. I may keep it in that directory, but put a shortcut in my documents, to remind me what I have out there..