PDA

View Full Version : Square CEO says " Next-gen systems have TOO MANY SPECS"

SeriTonin
06-12-07, 04:11 PM
http://firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=15930

This Financial Times story reports that Square Enix's CEO Yoichi Wada doesn't seem to care much at the moment about Sony's PS3 or Microsoft's Xbox 360 console. Last year Square Enix shocked the game industry when they announced that Dragon Quest IX, the next game in their fantasy RPG series, would be released for the Nintendo DS portable console rather than on the PS3 (previous games in the series had been released for the PS1 and PS2). Here is a snip:
Mr Wada said certain next-generation consoles were over-engineered for today’s gaming environment.

“There are too many specs – and you also need a high-definition TV, a broadband connection and a deep knowledge of gaming – these consoles are mismatched to today’s environment. In a year or two years they will fare better,” Mr Wada said.

Republicans and square share a flaw - neither will admit for their short-comings and rather point the finger else where....

Sure thing Mr. ceo, too over-powered....so let's make an under-powered system just for you....oh wait, they did, it's called Wii, and you support a bevy of 2 titles for that system ...incredible.

And to add to the hypocrisy of his statement, Square goes and makes FF13 a PS3 exclusive, way to make your best-selling franchise an exclusive on the least sold, most over spec'd system. And then people wonder why this company hasn't pushed out a good game since 97.

How about a few more half-assed attempts at old glory via ff7 tie-in games on the " less speced", psp? Oh wait....

|MaguS|
06-12-07, 04:38 PM
Basically he wants more units in peoples hands at a cheaper price, which is why you see them putting so much support behind the DS.

Lyme
06-12-07, 04:52 PM
square has a problem.. they want to support their japanize market but they also want a large market. I belive that square currently has two FF projects underway on the ps3, but the number of ps3's in the market are going to make it difficult to recoup their costs.

SeriTonin
06-13-07, 09:35 AM
This is why I don't understand the logic in being exclusive, it's not good for them, finacially.

NaitoSan
06-13-07, 04:28 PM
actually, two FFXIII were in development BEFORE PS3 was released. once they're farther into development, they realized how difficult it can be also PS3 isn't doing well. so i don't think it's proper to call them hypocrisy.

currently SE has plans to develop games for Wii. i do agree, not many people owns HDTV (i forgot what percent that owns HDTV), a broadband connection, etc. wii has over 7 million users and only 40% of them uses broadband... eh? that's pretty low.

but SE does have good point, next-gen consoles are way too ahead that we can't really catch up until in next few years.

Parts
06-13-07, 06:26 PM
This is why I don't understand the logic in being exclusive, it's not good for them, finacially.

Unless the sony paycheque is more than they would make going multi platform.

evilchris
06-14-07, 02:31 PM
We still haven't even begun to tap into teh power of teh cell.....

ViN86
06-14-07, 04:57 PM
having too many specs is like having too much pr0n. sure it's enjoyable, but you never get to fully enjoy it as a whole.

SeriTonin
06-15-07, 10:27 AM
To say Square hasn't made a good game since 97 is probably the most ridiculous statement of all time.

Chrono Cross (2000): A Perfect 10. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review)

Your absolutely right, I forgot all about Chrono Cross, it was a fantastic game, I was off by 3 years. Square tanked after 2000. ;)

buffbiff21
06-17-07, 11:03 PM
To say Square hasn't made a good game since 97 is probably the most ridiculous statement of all time.

Chrono Cross (2000): A Perfect 10. (http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary;review)

:POKE:

chrono cross sucked the fattest **** of all square games even worse than some of the Saga games.

buffbiff21
06-17-07, 11:04 PM
Square goes and makes FF13 a PS3 exclusive,
the day ffxiii is released is the day i buy ps3

|MaguS|
06-18-07, 07:15 AM
:POKE:

chrono cross sucked the fattest **** of all square games even worse than some of the Saga games.

Chrono Cross was amazing... just shouldn't be thought of the sequel to Chrono Trigger. (Still waiting for a remake square!)

buffbiff21
06-18-07, 11:41 AM
Chrono Cross was amazing... just shouldn't be thought of the sequel to Chrono Trigger. (Still waiting for a remake square!)
No way.

If by amazing you mean unnecessarily drawn out in its colorful small and vigorously unsatisfying world, then yeah. Let's just add a couple dozen more characters and we'd have ourselves a "Perfect 10/10."

Of course it's not the sequel to CT... although I'm a little grown out of anime now I thought CT was the best when I was in like... 5th grade.

I didn't even like Yasunori's compositions in CC.

That game left such a pewtred taste in my mouth :barf:

Ninjaman09
06-18-07, 12:39 PM
Chrono Cross was amazing.

Square has made plenty of great games since CC as well. FFX and XII were both fantastic. FFTA was great. I would sort of count DQ8 as well (though admittedly I never finished it). I like their stance in this case as well, especially since I love DQ and my DS. :D

buffbiff21
06-21-07, 11:44 AM
Chrono Cross was amazing.

I spent the entire game looking for some sort of cool tie in with the old world maps from CT; the 40 member cluster**** of uninteresting characters does not account for the lack of a more expansive world. Add to that the horrendous battle system made me want to slam my head against the TV. At least the graphics are good..

|MaguS|
06-21-07, 12:19 PM
The battle system was unique and required alot of strategy. The massive amount of characters was good, not great but atleast every character had their own quest/story and with some having some tie in into the original.

buffbiff21
06-21-07, 01:44 PM
atleast every character had their own quest/story and with some having some tie in into the original.

What about Serge, the main character which you are forced to play as and control the majority of the game? Another pitifully dull, mute, and lifeless spikey haired stick that could be replaced for a slice of cheese for all I care. Lynx was cool. But Serge?

At least Crono looked like Goku. That's what made CT badass.

Imbroglio
06-22-07, 06:46 PM
having too many specs is like having too much pr0n. sure it's enjoyable, but you never get to fully enjoy it as a whole.

I don't know about you, but I enjoy opening 50 vlc players and having the pr0n take up a 64x64 pixel area per video, that way no matter where you look, something good is happening.

Quickstar
06-23-07, 01:38 PM
There are too many specs – and you also need a high-definition TV, a broadband connection and a deep knowledge of gaming – these consoles are mismatched to today’s environment. In a year or two years they will fare better

Wait a minute, you don't need any of those things. Sure, PS3 and X360 realize their full potential with those things, but how many people here own a PS3 but use it on a regular TV?