PDA

View Full Version : Best Music App

Pages : [1] 2

breathemetal
06-12-07, 08:01 PM
Since Itunes is a POS in Vista, I need a good player to play, organize, and compile my music upon.

I love Itunes, and will switch back once it works right (due to my ipod usage)
But in the meantime, i want a good player.

I dont really care to use WMP either, never liked it.

But if it is the best, i will use it. Thats why im asking you guys. ;)

Sazar
06-12-07, 08:26 PM
WMP is my choice but you don't seem to like it :)

Winamp and Foobar are a couple of other apps I have installed. Don't use much but they are pretty good.

einstein_314
06-12-07, 08:48 PM
Since Itunes is a POS in Vista, I need a good player to play, organize, and compile my music upon.

I love Itunes, and will switch back once it works right (due to my ipod usage)
But in the meantime, i want a good player.

I dont really care to use WMP either, never liked it.

But if it is the best, i will use it. Thats why im asking you guys. ;)
Just curious....

Why can't you use iTunes? I'm using it in Vista x64 and it's fine...especially since v7.2 came out a few days ago. I haven't had any problems with it...

breathemetal
06-12-07, 09:31 PM
I install it, it goes fine. No errors.

then everytime i go to run the app, it attempts to close the program, you know, that box that pops up and says close the program

einstein_314
06-12-07, 10:23 PM
I install it, it goes fine. No errors.

then everytime i go to run the app, it attempts to close the program, you know, that box that pops up and says close the program
Hmm, that's weird...definately don't have that problem here. I'm running it in both x86 and x64 with no problems.

t3hl33td4rg0n
06-14-07, 04:18 AM
QCD hands down... Its been my main media player for years, and uses 0-2% CPU while playing music, and packed with more features you can shake a stick at.

http://www.quinnware.com

breathemetal
06-14-07, 12:02 PM
You just saved my life dude.
Sweet app, lovin' it.
Screw itunes and wmp now! HAHA! :captnkill:

radekhulan
06-14-07, 02:39 PM
iTunes could be nice way to organize your music library, but it is too slow and unresponsive even on my quadcore with 4GB of RAM. The best you can get on Vista is definitely WMP 11, especially its x64 version. Million times faster than iTunes, looks better, and more functionality.

WMP 11 is even better organizing music than iTunes, and can browse and play video as well, pictures, online streams, etc.

Microsoft did an extremely good job with this one.

http://radekhulan.cz/img/wmp11/th_WMP11.jpg (http://radekhulan.cz/img/wmp11/WMP11.jpg)

Very nice and useful is also WMP11 toolbar integration:

http://radekhulan.cz/img/wmp11/wmp11-toolbar.jpg

Before, on Windows XP, I used heavily customized Foobar2000, not bad either:

http://radekhulan.cz/img/foobar2000/foobar2000.png

breathemetal
06-14-07, 03:14 PM
Nah forget WMP, im in love with QCD now
WMP sucksl compared to it
It has better skins, its easy, compact, and does what i need it to do

nekrosoft13
06-14-07, 03:31 PM
just doing a quick glance that QCD looks like ****, looks like a weird version of winamp

my player of choice is WMP11

breathemetal
06-14-07, 04:10 PM
QCD is so much better
Just look at their selection of skins
So many nice, simple, compact ones
Big, bulky players suck

Tr1cK
06-14-07, 04:13 PM
And it's better than Winamp, how?

nekrosoft13
06-14-07, 04:15 PM
QCD is so much better
Just look at their selection of skins
So many nice, simple, compact ones
Big, bulky players suck

yeah, bunch of ugly skins no thank you

and how much more compact do you want?

borrowed image
http://radekhulan.cz/img/wmp11/wmp11-toolbar.jpg

breathemetal
06-14-07, 04:16 PM
I dont know HOW it is better than winamp, but i just dont like winamp, never have.

Im sticking with QCD though. Beats Itunes, WMP, and Winamp in my book.

and how much more compact do you want?

I can get much more compact. I can dock it anywhere on the desktop, or have a icon running right next to the clock with all the options i need.

Tr1cK
06-14-07, 04:20 PM
If it can't do streaming then it's pure crap.

Redeemed
06-14-07, 04:59 PM
To each their own ya'll. I personally love WMP 11 over any other media player out there. If the OP does not, that's his choice. It's purely subjective. ;)

breathemetal
06-14-07, 06:05 PM
Thankyou Redeemed. At least some people around here have some sort of common sense.

Not to say anyone in this thread doesnt, but...believe me, there are some IDIOTS here. Hell, Ive been one myself before.

Redeemed
06-14-07, 06:08 PM
Thankyou Redeemed. At least some people around here have some sort of common sense.

Not to say anyone in this thread doesnt, but...believe me, there are some IDIOTS here. Hell, Ive been one myself before.

Yup. We all have. Especially that one wierdo... -=Gib McCrainger=-. What a jerk! :p

Rakeesh
06-14-07, 08:42 PM
I don't care what features any player has so long as it uses very little memory/cpu footprint, supports via whatever means the MAD decoder, and doesn't ever give you stupid nag messages about other random crap that they offer.

Winamp used to be that, but stopped once they started flashing stupid popups about some kind of video oriented version of it.

For now I use VLC, but my only complaint about it is that it has a half second delay when you start/stop/pause music, which is annoying and I am not sure how to fix it. Other than that, it is flawless as it supports practically every format out there without having any seek problems.

t3hl33td4rg0n
06-15-07, 03:38 AM
Yup, before QCD for me it was Sonique but it was quite limited, but it still has the best visuals! I have a QCD plugin that lets you use Sonique visuals with QCD. I also use the smart randomizer plugin; it rocks!

Best features I like:

- Plugin Architecture
- Great skinning / Multiple Skin Modes (each skin has several GUI "modes")
- Great sound quality
- Almost no CPU/RAM usage
- Encoding Options
- Mass ID3 Tag Editing features
- Integration with CDDB
- Tons of UI/Player customizations
- Quick Track, Quick Playlist Switching, etc.
- Context menus, and especially play next

Theres a bunch of other stuff, but I love it even after using it for more than 4 years.

RAY16
06-15-07, 04:15 AM
I don't know what's up with all the Winamp hate. I guess it's just the trendy thing to do these days. I find it hilarious when I see people with 2Gigs (or even worse, more than 2GB) of memory complaining about how Winamp takes up X amount of memory while running as if it actually has any impact on their systems performance.

As for the whole size debate, with my skin of choice Winamp is a very slender yet still very functional bar at the top of my screen which is always visible with the use of the "Always On Top" option. Doesn't get in the way of my daily tasks, either.

You don't like Winamp? Fine. But at least give an actual reason for not liking it, instead of just complaining about how it takes up 14MB of your 2GB+ of system memory, or how it has features you don't need (every program has at least one feature you don't use, and the vast majority have a lot more than one).

And as for what Winamp looks like on my system:

http://img161.imagevenue.com/loc535/th_26414_omfgwtfbbqdesktoploz0rzmonkeys_122_535lo. jpg (http://img161.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=26414_omfgwtfbbqdesktoploz0rzmonkeys _122_535lo.jpg)

In terms of audio programs other than Winamp... Eh. WMP11 isn't horrible, but I find it to be a pain to navigate sometimes. QCD isn't bad if you find the right skin, but it lacks plugins for some of the more obscure sound formats. Foobar2000 is neat, but I dislike having to go through that much trouble to customize it to the point where it meets my needs (which aren't very demanding, really).

breathemetal
06-15-07, 11:01 AM
I never play any "obscure" formats, and dont need any plugins really.

QCD works great for me.
Ill check out those Sonique visuals though.

I just like the skins of qcd really. I have about 12 downloaded because i change the look of my system a lot, and each one goes with the layout perfectly. Im a bit OCD lol

|MaguS|
06-15-07, 11:14 AM
I use WMP11, I use to be a die hard Winamp user but WMP11 won me over once I moved to Vista.

Tr1cK
06-15-07, 11:28 AM
I've never figured the whole skinning thing out. I guess I'm a function over form type of guy. As long as it works, doesn't look like ass, and the form doesn't inhibit the functionality in any way, then I am fine with it.

breathemetal
06-15-07, 11:30 AM
Well, i have to have a good skin. It's just part of it for me...haha
Part of the OCD complex i guess. IDK.

But one other reason i stand behing qcd now is that it uses VERY little of the cpu, and hardly any memory at all.

When playing an rts with **** music, i can just leave it running in the background with no problems whatsoever.