PDA

View Full Version : R6 Vegas is in stores now for PSP

Destroy
06-13-07, 11:02 AM
Anyone get it or try it yet? The lack of online reviews and excitement for this game is mindnumbing.

Bad_Boy
06-13-07, 11:41 AM
Holy ****, I didnt even know. Need reviews & impressions on this ASAP.

3DBrad
06-14-07, 09:46 AM
lol, if it looked that bad on consoles and PC, imagine how it'll be on the PSP. :captnkill:

Destroy
06-14-07, 11:36 AM
lol, if it looked that bad on consoles and PC, imagine how it'll be on the PSP. :captnkill:

Eh? The PC and 360 version looked pretty good. PSP is fair gfx wise it seems.

http://www.tothegame.com/res/game/5133/feature/2006-09-28/screen2_large.jpg

http://www.tothegame.com/res/game/5133/feature/2006-09-28/screen4_large.jpg

ENU291
06-14-07, 11:49 AM
has anyone picked this up? If so give us a mini review.

3DBrad
06-14-07, 12:47 PM
Wow, the PSP looks better (relatively speaking to hardware) than PC, Xbox360, and soon the PS3. :afro:

ENU291
06-14-07, 02:03 PM
The graphics look nice (for the PSP) but what I'm really interested in is the gameplay. The PSP is notorious for having difficult control schemes with this type of game (i.e. Syphon Filter)

Destroy
06-14-07, 05:03 PM
Ripped from an individual's post on IGN forum:

"While it's clear that the game has flaws, there's no one flaw that makes the game not fun. Rainbow Six Vegas is a really fun, and well-developed game.

First off, the controls are pretty good. I immeaditely switched them from Standard (face buttons to aim, analog nub to move) to Alternate (face buttons move, analog nub to aim). There's four control types: Standard, Standard Inverted, Alternate, and Alternate Inverted.

Alternate Controls Rundown (if you want other controls, ask)

Analog Nub - Look/Aim
Face Buttons - Move/Strafe
D-Pad Up - Iron Sights/Zoom (if gun has scope) / Open Doors
D-Pad Left - Toggle Night Vision/Toggle Snake Cam
D-Pad Right - Change Weapons
D-Pad Down - Toggle Crouch
L - Hold for Lockon (ugh) and Double Tap for Reloading
R - Fire Weapon/Throw Grenades
Select - Quick Iventory Menu (see what weapons you have and info on them, etc.)

The controls work pretty well, except for the lockon, which I would have left out of this game. It's certainly not as cheap as SOCOM, as you have to have your reticle right over the enemy and hold down L, but still.. it's lockon. And to make things worse about lockon, all you have to do it tap up on the nub to aim at their head for a headshot. Simple as that. Another thing is the cover system. Walking up to and holding the direction of a wall puts you into a third-person cover, just like the console Rainbox Six Vegas. It works in the same way. You can move left and right, and look over or around the wall to aim. Once you have your aim, you press R to swivel out and take your shot. It's not as cheap, because it takes some time to sweep around the corner and shoot. It's pretty close to Syphon Filter, which is good. Another cool thing is the use of a Snake Cam while facing doors. The SNake Cam is a small camera which slips under the door and allows you to see what's going on in the next room. You can look around using the analog stick, and slide back and forth under the door to get a better angle if necessary. Then, you can tag enemies so you can find which one is the most important so once you enter, you can take them out. Other than the cheap lockon, the controls work pretty well.

The gameplay is sort of a mixed bag here. While the good controls help the fun factor, the AI isn't that up to par. I noticed that playing on a harder difficulty helped a bit, as you can't just run-n-gun, but even then.. it still leaves a little to be desired. The core gunplay is really good. The guns feel (and sound) really authentic, despite lacking the flashiness graphicswise. As said before, hitting D-Pad Up will put you into iron sights aiming if the gun doesn't have a scope, to allow for more accurate shots. If your gun does have a scope, D-Pad Up switches to the scope, in which, depending if you have a powerful one or not, can be zoomed in further by tapping Up again. Tapping D-Pad Down will bring you further out, if you zoomed in too far. You can toggle night vision in scope mode as well, if you need to. The story, right now, seems very lengthy, as I've played about an hour's worth of R6, and I'm still not out of the first level. The game consists of levels with different sections, in which some of those you take control of a different guy. This works out really well. In the first level, for instance, the assault guy comes to a courtyard with more enemies than he can handle. Then, control switches over to your sniper, who is positioned in the upper floor of the mansion surrounding the courtyard, so that you can clean out the courtyard for the assault guy, to make his job a little easier. The tie-in between the two strategies works well. Online, which I just had a chance to try out, is really fun. It consists of 2-on-2 Team Survival or free for all Survival matches which have various options you can select. The options range from number of respawns, time limit, turning off lockon, and others. The online maps suit four players very well, as I rarely was out of the action. The maps also look good, and have some strategy to them. There is a friends list, which you can easily add players to, as well as easily join their game in progress from the friends menu. There's also online stat tracking, so you can see where you stack up against the rest of the Rainbow Six Vegas PSP online community. Online will keep people coming back after they beat the lengthy story mode and get bored of Terrorist Hunts by themselves.

Rainbow Six Vegas for the PSP is a good looking game. The graphics are pretty good, while the environments can be a bit bland sometimes. The characters looks decent as well. The guns, however, don't have as much luck. Some of the gun textures don't look too hot.. which I'm personally not impressed by. I wish they would have pushed the PSP a little harder to pump out some better effects. The enemy animation could use some help too. When shooting at someone at close range, there's little to no hit detection at all. All you see is a little red cloud. The death animations are alright though. Overall, the graphics could have used a little more attention, but they're above average.

The sound is very good. All the guns sound great, and the ambience and background sound is exceptional. Even online, I was in a big prison courtyard, with the crickets chirping away and all the sound of the night was present, while I heard an enemy's gun go off in the distance. Very impressed with the sound.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed in Rainbow Six Vegas. I wasn't expecting much out of it in the first place, but some things did suprise me. It retains some of the fun despite the flaws in the game. There is some problem with the controls, such as sensitivity, but overall, the controls work very well. There's some problems with the gameplay, but overall it's still fun. To look at Rainbow Six Vegas as a complete package, I'd definitely say that it does more good things than it does bad. At $40, you could still pick it up and have fun for a good while.. if you're willing to overlook some of the flaws and enjoy the game for what it is.

If I had to give it a score, I'd probably give it a 7.5. "

Destroy
06-15-07, 11:47 AM
I picked up the game last night and played maybe 20min so far.

I like it. I'd put it better than SOCOM but worse than Syphon Filter.