PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3 info coming in this months Game Informer?!

Pages : [1] 2

CaptNKILL
06-14-07, 07:17 AM
I just read on the official Fallout 3 forums that Game Informer will be covering FO3 in the new issue which should be out in a few days. I dug around a bit, and sure enough:

http://www.gameinformer.com/NR/exeres/1EA299F2-C6D9-4547-9673-D17545791857.htm

When we announced that Fallout 3 was on the cover of Game Informer Magazine's July Issue, the internets went wild. There's only one person outside of Bethesda that's actually seen the game, and that's Game Informer Magazine's Associate Editor Matt Miller. There's probably a billion things you want to know about the game, and Miller has the answers. Well, some of them, anyway.

So let him have it.

Starting today and ending on Monday, June 11th at 12 Noon CST, we're allowing you, the reader, to ask Miller anything you want about Fallout 3. We're not promising he'll answer all of your questions, but if you bribe him with Cheddar Bay Biscuits, you never know.

Send all of your questions to askmiller@gameinformer.com and we'll be posting the answers in this month's Unlimited which launches on June 18th.

I'm really psyched about this. I have to say, after really giving Fallout some time I'm totally hooked on it. In fact, I just bought Fallout 2 (the new cheapo version that comes in a DVD case) so I can start that as soon as I finish the first one. I knew I liked the game the first time I played it, I could just never get adjusted to the combat system. Its still a bit "meh" some times, but I've gotten over it and its really a kick ass game.

I can't wait to hear about the new one. The rumors around the forums are saying that the game will be using the "SPECIAL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPECIAL_System)" system from the first 2 games. I really hope thats true, because that along with the setting\atmosphere we saw in the preview trailer almost guarantee that the game will kick ass.

If anyone can get their hands on a Game Informer magazine, or knows anyone who has a subscription, PLEASE post here so we can maybe get some early info.

nekrosoft13
06-14-07, 07:42 AM
it better not play like Oblivion!!

CaptNKILL
06-15-07, 09:21 PM
Posts deleted.

No talk of piracy on the forums.

|MaguS|
06-15-07, 09:36 PM
Posts deleted.

No talk of piracy on the forums.

:beer:

CaptNKILL
06-16-07, 06:45 AM
:beer:
:alc:

:p

I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for anything related to this game informer article.

Remember, Game Informer was the first magazine to have coverage of Oblivion (the first screenshots as well I think). From what I remember, it was from this same time of year in 2005, with the game coming out the following spring.

I have a feeling this month's issue will reveal pretty much everything we need to know about the game to decide if it'll be "Fallout 3" or "The Elder Scrolls 5: Fallout".

CaptNKILL
06-16-07, 06:57 AM
The info has been leaked! :D

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=712351

I'm reading it now...

CaptNKILL
06-16-07, 07:06 AM
Scanned article!
http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2274

Holy sh** this sounds freaking sweet! They actually did the RIGHT thing and created a "pausable" combat system. You can play it real time or pause it and play it strategically with action points and turns! :eek:

:dance:

EDIT: Just finished the article.

God damn, its going to be a long wait for this one. It sounds like they really nailed it.

I think this will also have a HUGE impact on the Elder Scrolls series as well. It sounds like they are correcting all of the shortcomings of Oblivion by going back to the roots of great RPGs like Fallout. If they really pull this off and its as good as it sounds while also selling well, this could be a huge step in the right direction for RPGs in general.

BTW, the Fallout fans on the forums are freaking ridiculous. There are hardly ANY positive comments at all. I don't think anything would please these people other than another isometric view 2d game with the same turn based combat system and a 256 color pallet.

Given how easily they could have dropped everything that made Fallout Fallout, the fans should be ecstatic that they aren't getting a first person shooter with mutants. Christ, did they really think that 10 years after the first one was released, a totally different developer would release the same exact game?

Sorry for the rant, it just seems absurd how pissed off these people are for how well this is turning out.

CaptNKILL
06-17-07, 07:13 AM
Wow, no interest in Fallout 3?

Come on, this is probably one of the most highly anticipated PC sequels of all time...

Sgt_Pitt
06-17-07, 08:05 AM
nice find :)

Banko
06-17-07, 08:21 AM

Come on, this is probably one of the most highly anticipated PC sequels of all time...
Quite frankly it looks horrible.

A half assed Real time with pause is worthless I'll rather have real time only then that.

Second the super mutant is completely wrong, why the hell is there a nuclear catapult? Also what the hell is the Behemoth?

Sure there were some good things said in the article like the multiple paths and etc but then again Oblivion had a lot of promises that it didn't meet either.

They also didn't say anything about the dialog, hell they even got the vault suits wrong (since when was there baggy clothes in 50's sci fi?)

Bethesda is ****ing everything up they changed the power armor, the super mutants, added a nuclear catapult, and they are even changing the vault suits wtf.

Another thing is what are the Brotherhood of Steel doing in the east?

Tr1cK
06-17-07, 09:04 AM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

CaptNKILL
06-17-07, 10:36 AM
Quite frankly it looks horrible.

A half assed Real time with pause is worthless I'll rather have real time only then that.

Second the super mutant is completely wrong, why the hell is there a nuclear catapult? Also what the hell is the Behemoth?

Sure there were some good things said in the article like the multiple paths and etc but then again Oblivion had a lot of promises that it didn't meet either.

They also didn't say anything about the dialog, hell they even got the vault suits wrong (since when was there baggy clothes in 50's sci fi?)

Bethesda is ****ing everything up they changed the power armor, the super mutants, added a nuclear catapult, and they are even changing the vault suits wtf.

Another thing is what are the Brotherhood of Steel doing in the east?
Ok, almost every complaint I've read sounds like a bunch of nit picking and pessimism to me.

Come on.

We know nothing about the combat system other than its a mix of real-time pausable combat and the old AP system. We have no idea how it plays. But I guess since they dared to do something original, then the game is doomed in the eyes of the die-hard fans. (I want to stand in place while 12 people take turns walking 10 feet and stabbing me and I will accept NOTHING ELSE!)

The super mutant... I guess I just don't see how people can get so much info to call a scanned screenshot of the new game totally different than a pixelated 100x100 image from the original game (let alone the TINY pixelated sprites in the game world). It does look a little different, but come on, we're 3000 miles away in a totally different setting, why does one mutated monstrosity have to look like all the rest?

The nuclear catapult, I have to agree on. It doesn't make any sense. Why not just shoot or blow something up with explosives? I guess with all that radioactivity its probably possible to make some kind of radioactive bomb launcher, but the whole idea of using tiny nuclear bombs is dumb, especially in a catapult... why a catapult?? :p

The "Behemoth" is obviously some new kind of mutant. Is that not allowed? I haven't beaten Fallout yet... maybe at some point it says that there are no other kinds of mutants anywhere in the world (even 100 years in the future), but I haven't seen anything like that yet.

They didn't say anything about the dialog, no. Maybe the system isn't complete, or maybe they just didn't feel like covering it in this article.

I don't really see how the vault suits are "wrong" myself. I'm trying not to sound like an ass, but come on, these complaints are silly. They are too baggy for '50s style clothing?? They are uniforms. Most uniforms are and have always been loose fitting and baggy (more-so the further back you go), most likely to fit as many different sizes of people as possible. And maybe its just me, but this is what I see when I see a vault suit in Fallout:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061006/fallout_03.jpg
I can't tell what he's wearing because his pants consist of probably less than 20 pixels. The clothing shown in the scan looks fine. The pants are tucked and folded at the top of the boots, and overall its sort of loose fitting... it definitely isn't spandex, but I don't think anyone wore spandex in the 1950s either... but still, the idea is that the world changed dramatically in the 50s and that feeling "stuck". Its still over 300 years in the future.

The power armor... again... 3000 miles away... 100 years in the future... from 15 pixels to several thousand polygons... how could it possibly look identical to the original game, let alone what everyone "thought" it'd look like in high resolution?

These are all the same kinds of complaints I keep reading and everyone is saying Bethesda totally f***ed up and ruined it, using the things above as proof.

I'm just going to get labeled a Bethesda fanboy for not grasping at straws just to say they failed, but whats new.

I just hope everyone else gives it a chance and realizes how much potential this game has, rather than listening to all the "Fallout fans" spouting random negative crap because the game wasn't made by Black Isle. I don't care how baggy they make the pants or how "orcish" they make the super mutants... there is a pretty damn good chance that this game will be an excellent RPG, set in a post apocalyptic world, using the SPECIAL system from Fallout and an original combat system that uses the strategic point-based system from Fallout with the freedom of real-time gameplay.

That sounds pretty sweet to me. :o

Banko
06-17-07, 10:51 AM
You know there are 3d renderings of the Vault Suit, Power Armor and the Super Mutant in the original Fallout right?

The problem is the super mutant looks more like an Orc holding a damn mace, and the problem with the power armor is it looks to much like a Knight.

|MaguS|
06-17-07, 10:52 AM
Who cares, so they changed some of the art! It's been years since the originals released... they are allowed to update the art.

CaptNKILL
06-17-07, 11:01 AM
You know there are 3d renderings of the Vault Suit, Power Armor and the Super Mutant in the original Fallout right?

The problem is the super mutant looks more like an Orc holding a damn mace, and the problem with the power armor is it looks to much like a Knight.
I've seen some of the in-game stuff from the dialogs, but no, I haven't seen any other renderings.

And I appreciate the explanation for the armor and the super mutant.

I see what your saying, and I agree on the "orc". They really chose a bad thing to take a picture of if they were trying to fight the "Oblvion with guns" label. The hammer he's holding looks like its made out of gears and machinery but overall he does look pretty orcish.

I don't really see the knight-like look in the armor, at least not any more than what I've seen of the originals.

Still, I stick by it that the differences in the armor and even the mutants make sense considering how far away and how far into the future this game takes place compared to the previous games.

I hope for the sake of the hardcore fans that they either change this stuff (which is likely... a lot changed from the time we first saw oblivion to when it was released) or just took some lousy screenshots... but to the rest of us, it isn't going to make any difference.

I respect your opinion on what looks "right" for the game. I was just saying that calling it "horrible" and saying they are ruining everything was taking it way too far for how minor the complaints were.

Its going to take a lot for me to not play this. I hope you give it a shot too. :)

Banko
06-17-07, 11:05 AM

breathemetal
06-17-07, 11:05 AM
This is one game I think I will buy :D

Never played FO1 or FO2, but maybe I'll try and find em today.
Hopefully they aren't buggy and work on Vista.

CaptNKILL
06-17-07, 11:08 AM
This is one game I think I will buy :D

Never played FO1 or FO2, but maybe I'll try and find em today.
Hopefully they aren't buggy and work on Vista.
FO1 works perfectly in Vista for me.

After I patched it up with the unofficial patches I had to use windows 98 compatibility mode to start the game, but other than that its 100% perfect. I'm using one of the old "big box" CDROM versions of the game too, not the newer one released for XP (the 3 game pack).

I just bought Fallout 2 as well (DVD case version). I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it'll work fine. :)

breathemetal
06-17-07, 11:12 AM
Let us know if FO2 works for you :)

K007
06-17-07, 11:12 AM
If they plan to put combat system like from KOTR style then i like it..it allows to have a more detailed world to look at...but it wont be Fallout...those who played 1 and 2 know the combat system in it...so in words..this is a complete revamp and hopefully..they wont screw it up..like they did with dreamfall where they completely changed the play style and added a combat system..which pretty much made the game really suck...story is still great..the way you read the story..was completed ****ed over..

I just hope they wont screw it up on this game..The combat system in KOTR was great tho, i enjoyed it fully...they kept it intact between 1 and 2..just think if they released KOTRIII in a full fps mode..would really ruin the game if they mess it up..

CaptNKILL
06-17-07, 11:23 AM
this is a complete revamp and hopefully..they wont screw it up..like they did with dreamfall where they completely changed the play style and added a combat system..which pretty much made the game really suck...story is still great..the way you read the story..was completed ****ed over..
Yeah, that sucked pretty bad. I still liked Dreamfall, but it didn't play anything like the original and didn't leave much of an impression on me like the first one.

I really doubt we'll see anything that dramatic with Fallout 3 though. Adapting the combat to be real-time isn't nearly as extreme as adding or removing combat entirely.

nekrosoft13
06-17-07, 11:34 AM

knowing bethesda they will probably mess it up

K007
06-17-07, 10:35 PM
Yeah, that sucked pretty bad. I still liked Dreamfall, but it didn't play anything like the original and didn't leave much of an impression on me like the first one.

I really doubt we'll see anything that dramatic with Fallout 3 though. Adapting the combat to be real-time isn't nearly as extreme as adding or removing combat entirely.

Just changing it from turn based to the kotr style combat already has made a big impact on the game..it no longer carry the fallout style of gameplay. I enjoyed every aspect of the game for Fallout 1 and 2, lots of replaying too and re-starting...this is why CnC3 was great..it kept everything from the original and gave it a big face lift and was a hit.

I just hope they dont screw it up like dreamfall did. Changing something thats already good/great to try something new...eh..big gamble.

CaptNKILL
06-18-07, 01:05 AM
Just changing it from turn based to the kotr style combat already has made a big impact on the game..it no longer carry the fallout style of gameplay. I enjoyed every aspect of the game for Fallout 1 and 2, lots of replaying too and re-starting...this is why CnC3 was great..it kept everything from the original and gave it a big face lift and was a hit.

I just hope they dont screw it up like dreamfall did. Changing something thats already good/great to try something new...eh..big gamble.
I see what you're saying, but I don't think it'll really be KOTOR style myself. You can still aim at specific limbs and your shots will use up AP. This should really slow the combat down a lot.

The system in KOTOR was good, but it was very loose. The weapons had no ammo and the attacks were pretty random and frequent.

This new system sounds like you'll be able to play it slowly, attacking turn by turn like the original, with the option of sort of "winging it" in between turns (which will probably resemble KOTOR).

Hopefully we get some gameplay footage of combat before too long.

Tr1cK
06-18-07, 07:29 AM
Capt..pls post links to the sites for F1 & F2 unofficial patches, etc.