PDA

View Full Version : Vista IE7 Unsmooth scrolling?

XxDeadlyxX
06-15-07, 08:31 AM
In XP, IE7 scrolls very smoothly, however in Vista it seems more sluggish and laggy. CPU usage also jumps straight to 100% whenever i scroll, probably the cause :rolleyes:

Anyone else get this?

Will getting dual core cpu help?

Sazar
06-15-07, 04:32 PM
Hmm, not being able to duplicate this :(

Using vista ultimate here, have dual-core. Don't see a jump in proc usage either.

Peoples-Agent
06-16-07, 04:51 AM
Isn't something to do with IE7 using Cleartype forcefully in?

Think there's an option in the settings somewhere to disable it, not sure if that would help.

Firefox is definately smoother though.

XxDeadlyxX
06-16-07, 06:23 PM
Hmm I disabled ClearType and its slightly better, but text looks bad without cleartype anyway so thats not an option. Hmm even in Firefox CPU usage is up around 80% when scrolling....

LycosV
06-19-07, 01:14 AM
Mine scrolls pretty smooth, but I looking at it now I also get a CPU spike when scrolling. Never noticed it before, but if I do some serious scrolling I can get the CPU usage up there pretty good. I'm guessing the smooth-scroll technique for internet browsers is really rough because they figured, "How much scrolling can you do?"

edit: I just checked by turning off smooth-scrolling and yeah, that's the cause of the CPU spike.

XxDeadlyxX
06-19-07, 01:51 AM
Sigh nice programming there, Microsoft. I wonder how bad this is on worst processors than mine :o

Peoples-Agent
06-25-07, 03:27 AM
Sorted.

Disable Protected Mode, and it should work alot better.

XxDeadlyxX
06-25-07, 07:36 AM
Sorted.

Disable Protected Mode, and it should work alot better.

Thanks for the solution, I'll test it out when the next Vista driver with the good goodies :D makes me install Vista again :)