PDA

View Full Version : Vista Machine can't connect to XP machine on LAN

Pages : [1] 2

Tygerwoody
06-15-07, 08:23 PM
I have two gaming boxes. One Vista. One XP. I'm trying to get them to be able to connect to each other on the LAN. I am having no success.

For example. I am playing Age of Empires 2. I can host on either PC(vista or XP). I can "see" the server is up from the other PC, but when I try to connect it times out. At first I thought it was my router, so I swapped in my old router. Didn't work. Swapped in a switch instead of a router. No luck. Swapped in a HUB. No luck. Disabled Firewalls on BOTH PC's AND disabled antivirus on Both PC's. No luck. So it definitely can not be Firewall, router, or Anti-virus related. It has to be some kind of setting in the OS.

Does anyone know why I cannot seem to play Age of Empires 2 with my spare PC? I had a friend over and we were going to have a game going, but now we cannot connect to each other. :o

evilghost
06-15-07, 08:30 PM
As long as they a IP on a subnet mask that doesn't require routing they should see each-other. You could run netstat -a|find /I "EST" on the server machine to verify the server has bound a socket to an interface other than localhost and the listen port is the dport you're expecting.

tacos4me
06-15-07, 08:37 PM
In the Network and Sharing Center, do you have your network set to private? I couldn't discover my file server before I made the switch from public to private. Solved all my problems after I did.

Tygerwoody
06-15-07, 08:43 PM
trying both of your suggestions now... be back in a min :)

Tygerwoody
06-15-07, 08:50 PM
As long as they a IP on a subnet mask that doesn't require routing they should see each-other. You could run netstat -a|find /I "EST" on the server machine to verify the server has bound a socket to an interface other than localhost and the listen port is the dport you're expecting.
When I turn the server on and I run netstat I get TIME_WAIT under the state for the game server.

When I run the command you showed me, the server doesnt even show up

nekrosoft13
06-15-07, 09:22 PM
do you have the same workgroup?

Tygerwoody
06-15-07, 09:28 PM
do you have the same workgroup?
yes

8800gtsfan
06-15-07, 10:20 PM
Try using Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/list.asp) to setup a LAN server that way. I was in the beta to get Hamachi working with Vista, Vista still has so many problems....

ultraraze
06-16-07, 12:28 AM
I don't play AOEII but many other microsoft games suffer from the same sort of issues. Check this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819836/en-us?spid=560&sid=1507

and see if anything helps.

Also, if you have more than one NIC in any of the PC's be sure to disable the one(s) that are not being used. Including wifi.

Bman212121
06-16-07, 12:42 AM
I believe that is because AOE2 sucks my friend. :p (nana2)

Just kidding, but seriously I would make sure that you have firewalls off, and then try to ping from one machine to another. If you are on a lan, as long as you have ips in the same range that isn't going to be much stopping the game from working. AOE2 uses TCP/IP so if you have a router that gives out addresses it is more than likely a firewall issue.

If you do start > run and type "cmd" you can open up a command prompt. type "ipconfig /all" and that will show the ips addresses for your cards. get the IP from one box and try to ping the other by typing "ping *ip address*" ex. "ping 192.168.0.1" if it responds then that part isn't being blocked otherwise if you don't get a response it is either a firewall issue, or they aren't on the same subnet.

EDIT: I didn't see the rest of the post the first time, so it sounds like you have already done most of this.

I have had the problem with the game before going from xp to xp. I have no clue what fixed it, I might have reinstalled the game or put on the 1.3c patch to make it work. I could be a version mismatch between games I guess, as that might keep them from working together, but not throw any errors. I'm thinking that may have been what fixed it for me.

Bman212121
06-16-07, 12:44 AM
Try using Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/list.asp) to setup a LAN server that way. I was in the beta to get Hamachi working with Vista, Vista still has so many problems....

If he's on the lan then Hamachi isn't a good option since it would just bottleneck the connection for no reason. If there is just a switch between two computers, they will broadcast traffic between each other unless a firewall is blocking it.

OldGamer
06-16-07, 02:52 AM
Uninstall antivirus and all firewalls and disable all protection on both PCs. If that does not work then switch to AOE3. :)

lumpyhed
06-16-07, 05:05 AM
Thats real strange :(
I had a near week long lan a couple months ago, and apart from SupCom bombing out after an hour (now fixed) everything else worked as it should. I do have my firewall & ms antispyware disabled though.

Also i ditched the ipv6 protocol and anything else MS introduced with vista so it was the same as my friends XP setups. DHCP was also provided through the adsl router that was plugged into by a long cable to the gigabit switch i had setup.

Worked very well any how :)

glObalist
06-16-07, 08:34 AM
go to CMD and type

"telnet IP-of-machine-hosting-the-server server-port"

that would look something like telnet 192.168.1.5 5600 (which im just making up of course)

if black screen comes up all should be fine and you should be able to connect

Tygerwoody
06-16-07, 10:45 AM
Thats real strange :(
I had a near week long lan a couple months ago, and apart from SupCom bombing out after an hour (now fixed) everything else worked as it should. I do have my firewall & ms antispyware disabled though.

Also i ditched the ipv6 protocol and anything else MS introduced with vista so it was the same as my friends XP setups. DHCP was also provided through the adsl router that was plugged into by a long cable to the gigabit switch i had setup.

Worked very well any how :)
Can you explain the "anything else MS introduced with vista so it was the same as my friend's XP setup"? That might be my problem.

One thing is also strange. When I host on my Vista box, the XP machine can't even see the server listed. However if I host it on my XP box, the Vista machine CAN see it but it just can't connect. :o

Tygerwoody
06-16-07, 10:46 AM
btw, I can connect to each computer fine when doing file sharing, remote connection, etc. The computers do "see" each other, just not in games.

Tygerwoody
06-16-07, 11:42 AM
looks like this guy is having the same problem as me :( http://www.computing.net/windowsvista/wwwboard/forum/107.html

glObalist
06-16-07, 11:58 AM
did you try the telnet command?

Tygerwoody
06-16-07, 12:03 PM
did you try the telnet command?
yes, it failed

Tygerwoody
06-16-07, 12:07 PM
btw, to make things even more complicated. If I host a game on the internet, people on the internet can connect to me.. However, I can't get anyone on my LAN to connect to me.

LAN security seems to be more than WAN security. Way to go Vista. :)

lumpyhed
06-16-07, 12:48 PM
I just have Client for Microsoft Windows, File and Printer Sharing & IP V4 selected on my ethernet connection. Are you totally sure the firewall is disabled?

glObalist
06-16-07, 12:52 PM
Well if telnet failed then the port is blocked on the hosting machine. Turn off the firewall, and I don't mean just in the main Windows firewall window, but also on the individual network interfaces. Or try to make an exception.

Bman212121
06-16-07, 12:53 PM
Did you make sure that both clients have the same version?

Tygerwoody
06-16-07, 01:02 PM
Did you make sure that both clients have the same version?
yes

Are you totally sure the firewall is disabled?
yes

I just have Client for Microsoft Windows, File and Printer Sharing & IP V4 selected on my ethernet connection.
and you use Vista correct?

Tygerwoody
06-16-07, 01:03 PM
Counterstrike Source on the lan DOES work. I forgot to mention that earlier.

AoE2 is not working still. Maybe its something more port related?