PDA

View Full Version : vista and vsync

jisu
06-17-07, 04:04 AM
i was wondering if there was any way to force vsync off for direct3D games that don't have such a built-in option.

XxDeadlyxX
06-17-07, 04:28 AM
It was added a while ago, it does work. Despite what the description is in the control panel, forcing Vsync ON forces it on for a large majority of D3D games from what I can tell. I had one which wouldnt by default, but did after setting the indivdual program setting for it as well. Weird.

EDIT: Oh i mistook 'off' for 'on'.... hmm... I dont really know of any games that force Vsync on when the control panel is forced to off. Some people have complained about Halo 2 forcing Vsync on being unable to turn it offthough, whereas others have complained that it wont force on lol.

jisu
06-17-07, 04:58 AM
my control panel sets vsync to "use application setting" and the game i use (war3) sets it to vsync on

XxDeadlyxX
06-17-07, 05:08 AM
my control panel sets vsync to "use application setting" and the game i use (war3) sets it to vsync on

Ok well can't you just use the Application setting to set only warcraft 3 to Vsync forced off?

jisu
06-17-07, 06:24 PM
there is no such setting in the game

XxDeadlyxX
06-17-07, 07:37 PM
there is no such setting in the game

There doesn't need to be, just use the setting in the Nvidia control panel for applications in specific, or use nHancer which does the same thing.

Nick7
06-18-07, 06:05 AM
I must ask - why do some people want Vsync off?
You wont get anything if your refresh rates (ingame) are higher that what monitor can show.
Only thing you can get is tearing.
OFC, only thing that *is* required is having tripple buffering with Vsync on.

8800gtsfan
06-18-07, 10:37 AM
You wont get anything if your refresh rates (ingame) are higher that what monitor can show.

Cause most of us can't stand gaming at 60 fps, when you can game at 120 :)

HiCZoK4
06-18-07, 12:12 PM
vsync work without problem with 160.03 that i use

jisu
06-18-07, 12:31 PM
There doesn't need to be, just use the setting in the Nvidia control panel for applications in specific, or use nHancer which does the same thing.

it doesn't work for direct3d applications

Nick7
06-19-07, 03:54 AM
Cause most of us can't stand gaming at 60 fps, when you can game at 120 :)
Yes, the all-know case of e-peen growing.

What use is 120fps, when refresh rate of monitor is 60Hz - and it can't show higher?
Again, all you can get is tearing ...

jisu
06-19-07, 04:24 AM
even with vsync off (when it works), war3 caps at 64fps.

so i dont do it for e-peen. the difference in lag is so big it affects my gameplay significantly.

Nick7
06-20-07, 05:38 AM
I suppose people still do not understand what 'refresh rate' of monitor is vs. FPS.
well, suppose there is no use in trying to explain, if you 'can get more fps with vsync off'.

jisu
06-21-07, 05:14 AM
I suppose people still do not understand what 'refresh rate' of monitor is vs. FPS.
well, suppose there is no use in trying to explain, if you 'can get more fps with vsync off'.

i think you don't understand that i HAVE achieved this in xp, whether the extra 4 frame rates cancel out due to tearing or not, it doesn't concern me(the issue is lag). the problem is in vista, which is why i entitled this thread vista and vsync. suppose there is no use in trying to explain though

Princess_Frosty
06-22-07, 05:17 AM
FPS above your refresh rate is helpful in games where the game world update is done at the same speed as the frame rate, it makes for smoother play.

Besides to maintain a minimum of 60fps all the time you need an average way above that, somewhere closer to 80-90 for most games.

Kresher
07-05-07, 03:53 PM
Are you saying that I'm not limited to 60 FPS on a LCD monitor in games like ET:QW? (I'm in public beta, and the com_showfps 1 console command shows me at 60 FPS max at all times)

Nick7
07-09-07, 03:52 AM
You can have more than 60FPS (vsync off), but you'll get tearing on screen.
Refresh rate of monitor is 60Hz though, and cannot be raised.

raad11
07-18-07, 10:23 PM
Are you saying that I'm not limited to 60 FPS on a LCD monitor in games like ET:QW? (I'm in public beta, and the com_showfps 1 console command shows me at 60 FPS max at all times)that's a quake4-engined game they have a 60fps cap for online play.

yehuda
07-18-07, 11:11 PM

maybe because some games just don't reach 60 (or 100 in my case) fps, and triple buffering hacks for direct3d won't allow for online gaming.
I always turn Vsync off. If I get tearing, it's time to up some settings.

Nick7
07-19-07, 05:59 AM
maybe because some games just don't reach 60 (or 100 in my case) fps, and triple buffering hacks for direct3d won't allow for online gaming.
I always turn Vsync off. If I get tearing, it's time to up some settings.
Tearing will happene even if your monitor is 60Hz, and game can achieve (and
does) 200FPS with vsync off.

Only difference is how much that bothers you, or not.
On LCD screens it's much more noticable, and for me it's very annoying thing.
I rather have it capped at 60Hz, and have smooth turns left/right, than seeing tearing.

Triple buffering is only important when game can't achieve as much FPS as refresh rate of monitor is.

Besides... there's option to turn Vsync on/off for a reason ;)

DRen72
07-19-07, 09:29 AM
The tearing and 60Hz issue are quite simply game specific. I typically start with VSync off and see how it looks. If it tears a lot, then I'll set Vsync on. If that seems to lower the frame rate, then I add triple buffering.