PDA

View Full Version : SLI very soon

Pages : [1] 2 3

KasuCode
06-18-07, 07:01 AM
Did anyone see this?

Some good news. Our Vista SLI driver is coming soon, very soon. With it comes a world of possibilities for extra performance scaling for DX10 and Vista. SLI has proved to be hugely popular, we have shipped over millions and millions of SLI GeForce GPU's and SLI enabled motherboards.

For developers being able to double the graphics performance of your development system is enormously valuable. Todays SLI enabled GeForce 8800 is tomorrows mainstream graphics performance to target for your next PC game.

http://blogs.nvidia.com/developers/

Might be able to expect drivers any day now I guess.

K007
06-18-07, 09:33 AM
Hope they don't forget those on the GF7 series..i mean..the 7950GX2 atm in vista is a useless card to game with when SLI is pretty dead...atleast for 7 series..

ikjadoon
06-18-07, 02:38 PM
nVidia has a blog?!?!

I don't care about SLI. A new driver revision only means that DV might have been implemented. :)

~Ibrahim~

Arioch
06-18-07, 03:43 PM
nVidia has a blog?!?!

I don't care about SLI. A new driver revision only means that DV might have been implemented. :)

~Ibrahim~

Well I care about SLI.

KasuCode
06-18-07, 04:30 PM
Hope they don't forget those on the GF7 series..i mean..the 7950GX2 atm in vista is a useless card to game with when SLI is pretty dead...atleast for 7 series..

I read something somewhere about how this will include fix for 7950gx2 I cant find where I read it tho.

Bokishi
06-18-07, 04:54 PM
Well I care about SLI.

Same here

Redeemed
06-18-07, 05:06 PM
I care for SLi as well. Kind of upset me when I learned I couldn't run both my GTSs in Vista Ultimate x64. Looking forward to this driver. :D

Dragunov
06-18-07, 05:23 PM
And I hope better performance in DX10

ikjadoon
06-18-07, 06:49 PM
Well I care about SLI.

Hehe, I knew *some* people who would be nearly ecstatic about a release that specifically mentions SLI support.

You might've paid big bucks for your SLI and you should damn well get the most out of it, at the bare minimum better than a single card. But DV is a promise that has been continually forgotten and ignored. You took a slight risk in knowing that you wouldn't always get a huge performance increase, but, damn it, even the slowest 6200TC can give you DV.

I'm sure, however, that you didn't calculate that nVidia would provide some pathetic pathetic support of it's SLI-enabled customers. I know of many users who are getting slower FPS/scores with SLI-enabled than when they are not. That is just f*cked up, man. :thumbdwn:

Enough off-topic discussion of DV. I have little more to contribute to this topic, as it seems! :D But know that the next driver release has a lot of other promises to live up to, not just SLI.

[/rant]

~Ibrahim~

Bokishi
06-18-07, 07:00 PM
I care for SLi as well. Kind of upset me when I learned I couldn't run both my GTSs in Vista Ultimate x64. Looking forward to this driver. :D

Yeah I'm not installing Vista until it supports SLI like XP does

Dragunov
06-18-07, 07:03 PM
Enough off-topic discussion of DV. I have little more to contribute to this topic, as it seems! :D But know that the next driver release has a lot of other promises to live up to, not just SLI.

[/rant]

~Ibrahim~

What other promises? :)

thx

ikjadoon
06-18-07, 07:25 PM
What other promises? :)

thx

Let's see!

(These aren't promises made by nVidia per se, yet they are implied when we purchased a card, meaning we want it to work flawlessly or as close to perfection as possible)

Digital Vibrance: You can't really can't really count this one, lol, since it is 'other promises'.
nvlddmkm.dll: Need I say anymore?
BF2 Crashing: I'm not the only one who has this problem. Might not be nVidia's fault completely.
BF2142 not opening: Crashing on startup. Again, might not lay complete blame on nVidia.
nTune overclocking: Not sticking.
Profiles: Not sticking.
Low performance in some games: FEAR is still a big one, for me, at least.
Fan Control: I don't bother, but I hear it doesn't work for a lot people
Overscan: I heard this problem with HDTVs, not sure if this is cured, might be.
Scarface textures: Read me! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93261)
Use of third-party programs: Fan control and others (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92612).
Issues using 4GB: I heard this is a problem with X-Fi cards and possibly the 7950GX2, as well. Not sure on the latter.
CoH Freezing: Read me! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91375)
Broken troubleshoot tab: Read me! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91037)
AA in Hitman Blood Money: Read me! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90961)

Now some of these might've been cured, but none that I have seen. Might've missed one or two, though, lol! The 160-series drivers don't really count because they aren't available at nVidia's site, for the ordinary user. They haven't even qualified as BETA or have been and just not been put up.

There are a lot more, I'm sure, but I basically pulled issues from this very forum where a solution was not found. And most solutions were actually workarounds, not real solutions.

We've been waiting for these solutions a long time. Another driver release just means we are closer to getting them fixed.

~Ibrahim~

P.S.Check this 45-page thread, out, too! (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=27043)

P.P.S. I don't mean to stop you from responding to my post, but we are getting a wee bit off topic, no?

Slammin
06-18-07, 11:30 PM

I've been running Sli with Vista Ult 64 for a long time. This thread is actually confusing and I thought it was a joke or something. Sli has been working for me every since I installed Vista64.

Slammin
06-18-07, 11:48 PM
Let's see!

(These aren't promises made by nVidia per se, yet they are implied when we purchased a card, meaning we want it to work flawlessly or as close to perfection as possible)

Digital Vibrance: You can't really can't really count this one, lol, since it is 'other promises'.

I adjust my monitor.

nvlddmkm.dll: Need I say anymore?

I don't get this anymore and can only get it if I set my bios for 1333 CPU strap.

BF2 Crashing: I'm not the only one who has this problem. Might not be nVidia's fault completely.

No prob with BF2 here.

BF2142 not opening: Crashing on startup. Again, might not lay complete blame on nVidia.

Never had that happen either.

nTune overclocking: Not sticking.

I don't know how to save them, so this could be true.

Profiles: Not sticking.

Not seen this one, but I do understand it to be a permissions issue for the nvapps.xml file. I run as admin, so this wouldn't affect me.

Low performance in some games: FEAR is still a big one, for me, at least.

Yes, some games run slower, but some run faster or equal to XP.

Fan Control: I don't bother, but I hear it doesn't work for a lot people

I use rivatuner for both fan control and overclocking. Set it and forget it.

Overscan: I heard this problem with HDTVs, not sure if this is cured, might be.

Using 24" LCD, so I cannot verify that either.

Scarface textures: Read me! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93261)

Dont have that game.

Use of third-party programs: Fan control and others (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=92612).
Issues using 4GB: I heard this is a problem with X-Fi cards and possibly the 7950GX2, as well. Not sure on the latter.

4GB and X-Fi is a known issue, but I read somewhere that the nvidia network driver could be the cause. I uninstalled nVidia's network driver and let the MS one install and the intermittent SCP has so far vanished for me.

CoH Freezing: Read me! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91375)

I don't play that one anymore, but it didn't freeze on me.

Broken troubleshoot tab: Read me! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=91037)
AA in Hitman Blood Money: Read me! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90961)

Now some of these might've been cured, but none that I have seen. Might've missed one or two, though, lol! The 160-series drivers don't really count because they aren't available at nVidia's site, for the ordinary user. They haven't even qualified as BETA or have been and just not been put up.

There are a lot more, I'm sure, but I basically pulled issues from this very forum where a solution was not found. And most solutions were actually workarounds, not real solutions.

We've been waiting for these solutions a long time. Another driver release just means we are closer to getting them fixed.

~Ibrahim~

P.S.Check this 45-page thread, out, too! (http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=27043)

P.P.S. I don't mean to stop you from responding to my post, but we are getting a wee bit off topic, no?

Actually, I got tired of responing to the rest because I'm sure I'm not the only Vista64 user here that knows what works and what doesn't.

A lot of folks felt burned due to the shaky state of drivers when Vista 1st came out and gave up on it. I paid too much $$$ to give up on it that easily and I'm glad I stuck with it because I've gotten things running pretty good now and never boot into XP at all anymore.

I'm still wondering if this thread is really serious, or just a joke because I do remember when Vista drivers actually DID NOT support Sli, but this was several months ago.

jAkUp
06-19-07, 12:06 AM
SLI is already working pretty good for me :) Almost as good as XP, Fear actually runs better in Vista :D

XxDeadlyxX
06-19-07, 12:13 AM
I adjust my monitor

I wish I had a monitor that could provide the same effect, but my Dell 24" has nothing like this. I was using Vista for the past 2 weeks without DV and it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, but once I came back to XP (because HD-DVD doesnt work good on Vista with my single core), having DV back was awesome :D

I bought an Opty CCBBE 0617FPMW which is one of the best steppings available (can get to 3ghz on air), so that should smooth out stuff on Vista quite a bit :) (not enuf $$ for c2d upgrade :( :) )

I just hope this driver is released with DV in a few days so I can **finally** say goodbye to XP because other than a few nagging things Vista is running acceptable overall.

Bman212121
06-19-07, 12:15 AM
SLI is already working pretty good for me :) Almost as good as XP, Fear actually runs better in Vista :D

What driver would that be by chance?

K007
06-19-07, 12:19 AM
nVidia has a blog?!?!

~Ibrahim~

I care about SLI

Btw Jakup, which driver do u use? I haven't installed FEAR on Vista 32bit, but i did try BF2/CnC3, all of which performance was very bad in SLI.

Also...whats the big deal with DV? What settings you guys use with it on? I find it a bit annoying for me, sometimes when i watch movies/etc, the DV seems to make some colours really strange..in game..its...ok..i like how de_dust in CSSource feels more dusty..but i wouldn't say its not gonna stop me from using my PC/gaming if it never returned...SLI on the other hand...more important -.-

KasuCode
06-19-07, 12:25 AM
Sorry I should have titled it Official SLI support or something.

XxDeadlyxX
06-19-07, 12:29 AM
Also...whats the big deal with DV? What settings you guys use with it on? I find it a bit annoying for me, sometimes when i watch movies/etc, the DV seems to make some colours really strange..in game..its...ok..i like how de_dust in CSSource feels more dusty..but i wouldn't say its not gonna stop me from using my PC/gaming if it never returned...SLI on the other hand...more important -.-

I think I'm just a fan of nice vibrant colours, hard to say :p

But its the main reason I've stuck with Nvidia since the R9700 days.

Oh yeh I use 50%. The only downside is occasionally reds look way too red sometimes lol

ikjadoon
06-19-07, 09:02 AM
:headexplode:

You guys, it was a bit of a joke. My first reply wasn't there to make you think that I didn't care about SLI at all. I was just there to throw DV into the mix. Maybe you guys missed the sarcasm.

I *know* a lot of people care about SLI, I'm not trying to bash you. :)

~Ibrahim~

MarcusTaz
06-19-07, 10:48 AM
Yeah I'm not installing Vista until it supports SLI like XP does

Now these are words or wisdom and you will save yourself much frustration by not installing Vista Until Nvidia gets their act together. The 7 series drivers are a joke and not only made my blood pressure go up but sold my gaming rig for ATI rig 2900XT (thank god I did this)....

Unfortunatly I still have a 7900GTKO in my HTPC machine and work machine. The HTPC plays windows media center god aweful with all kinds of chop. It has a X24800+ 2 gigs of mem and a WD Raptor... It is the video driver that is horrible.... So sad that we have had to put up with bologna this long, we are getting close to a year since the OS was released....

Ra_
06-19-07, 05:44 PM
I really do care about SLI too.
I have to say that with these Betas 158.45 SLI support has been largely improved either on GF7 series (even if Nvidia still states these drivers as GF8 series only); I've learnt to trust Nvidia less than zero about their releases and which cards they're developed for...
Anyway, I do believe (as a matter of facts) that SLI support is getting better and better since previous releases (in which was something like broken and was leading to severe BSODs issues) so I'm quite anxious to see what a new driver release could bring us under these perspectives.
I'm also worried about they could introduce new problems with new releases, that's something Nvidia tried to do often in the past with some "good" results.

ikjadoon
06-19-07, 06:44 PM
OK, guys, I get it. You actually care about SLI. :D

Any news to when abouts this release is due? nVidia has had some problem with time. :D

~Ibrahim~

skoprowski
06-21-07, 03:33 PM
Maybe "really soon" means something else out West in CA. Still waiting..........