PDA

View Full Version : Manhunt 2 Banned in the UK

Pages : [1] 2

ralinn
06-19-07, 03:06 PM
Couldn't find a thread here about it so it's my chance to make the rare thread from me I guess!

Manhunt 2 banned in UK
[UPDATE] Rockstar's upcoming game denied classification by the BBFC board due to its 'unremitting bleakness' and 'casual sadism;' Irish film board follows suit.
By Emma Boyes, GameSpot UK
Posted Jun 19, 2007 5:23 am PT

Rockstar Games' Manhunt 2 has achieved the dubious honour of being only one of two games to be banned in the UK. The highly anticipated upcoming title, which casts gamers in the role of doctor Daniel Lam--who offers himself as a guinea pig for a neurological weapons project--was due to go on sale in the country on the Wii, PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation 2 on July 13. However, both the PS2 and Wii versions have been refused a rating by the British Board of Film Classification, meaning they cannot be legally sold in the UK. The PSP version has not yet been submitted to the BBFC for a rating.
Manhunt 2
Will this be as close as British and Irish gamers get to Manhunt 2?
Watch | Download

The reasoning behind the decision is that, according to BBFC director David Cooke, "Manhunt 2 is distinguishable from recent high-end video games by its unremitting bleakness and callousness of tone in an overall game context which constantly encourages visceral killing with exceptionally little alleviation or distancing. There is sustained and cumulative casual sadism in the way in which these killings are committed, and encouraged, in the game."

Cooke says that the decision is not one that the board has taken lightly, and that where possible, it considers cuts or modifications to the game to remove offensive material. However, in the case of Manhunt 2 "this has not been possible."

The first game in the series, Manhunt, was given an 18 rating by the BBFC when it was released back in 2003. However, Cooke stated that, "Although the difference should not be exaggerated, the fact of the game's unrelenting focus on stalking and brutal slaying and the sheer lack of alternative pleasures on offer to the gamer, together with the different overall narrative context, contribute towards differentiating this submission from the original Manhunt game." He added that the first title was already "at the very top end" of what it considered acceptable for an 18 certificate, and that it came before the results of recent BBFC research were released.

The game has been refused a certificate on both the Wii and PlayStation 2 platforms, as to release it would "involve a range of unjustifiable harm risks, to both adults and minors." The board adds that even if the game was confined to an adult release, it would "still be unacceptable to the public."

The game is the first to be refused a classification since Carmageddon in 1997. The car combat game developed by SCi and published by Interplay allowed racers to destroy opponents and murder pedestrians. However, the decision to refuse classification of Carmageddon was overturned on appeal by the Video Appeals Committee.

UK games industry body ELSPA released a statement from director Paul Jackson, which said, "A decision from the BBFC such as this demonstrates that we have a games ratings system in the UK that is effective. It shows it works and works well. Any decision the BBFC takes, it takes on the basis of its remit to rate onscreen entertainment."

The BBFC statement concluded that the game's distributors would also have the right to appeal the decision. Rockstar Games had not returned calls to comment as of press time.

[UPDATE] The Irish Film Censor's Office has also announced that the game has been banned in the Republic of Ireland. In a statement, the board gave its reasoning as follows, "IFCO recognizes that in certain films, DVDs and video games, strong graphic violence may be a justifiable element within the overall context of the work. However, in the case of Manhunt 2, IFCO believes that there is no such context, and the level of gross, unrelenting and gratuitous violence is unacceptable."

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6172704.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;0

bee to the bee to the eff to the mother ****ing see

Anyway, I find it very patronising but I'm not really bothered about this game really. :)

lduguay
06-19-07, 03:43 PM
Ohh, what a crock!

six_storm
06-19-07, 03:44 PM
It's not like any UK citizens can't import the game . . .

Banko
06-19-07, 03:48 PM
Not only that but it will promote the downloading of the game instead.

Athena
06-19-07, 04:22 PM
to bad the game will not be that good after all that work to get it. :(

ralinn
06-19-07, 06:48 PM
Importing games is very expensive for us, especially with the whole PAL/NTSC ****, so there's going to be a lot of pissed of fans. Personally I won't even be buying the game just to see what all the fuss is about. I just don't dig games like this at all...

Kinda like the Movie 'Hostel' and the recent sequal. Personally I think getting enjoyment out of that kinda stuff is kinda... weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against those kinda games being released, each to his own and all that, but if it's rated 18 mature, then the buyer should know if it's his/her bag or not. Over here, you don't get kids walking into stores and walking out with 18 rated games, so I don't see the problem.

Peoples-Agent
06-19-07, 07:08 PM
I was looking forward to this game, just because of the control method... it would have been cool and the more "adult" title i'd want to see on the Wii.

WTF ....are they implying that the over 18s of this nation, adults, aren't sensible enough to stomach a blimming video game? LOL

By all means have Jihaddi snuff thrown in your face every five minutes, but don't you dare play a video game.

Makes me sick.

Shame Nintendo can't sue the BBC or something, as console sales will be hit by this.

Mr_LoL
06-20-07, 01:28 AM
Ha. Bad luck peoples Agent. I love being mollycoddled by the government.

nrdstrm
06-20-07, 01:53 AM
I was looking forward to this game, just because of the control method... it would have been cool and the more "adult" title i'd want to see on the Wii.

WTF ....are they implying that the over 18s of this nation, adults, aren't sensible enough to stomach a blimming video game? LOL

By all means have Jihaddi snuff thrown in your face every five minutes, but don't you dare play a video game.

Makes me sick.

Shame Nintendo can't sue the BBC or something, as console sales will be hit by this.

Are the Wii's in your area PAL or NTSC? If NTSC, I would be willing to have you paypal me the money for the game and shipping and send it off to ya...Just let me know :)

Jon
06-20-07, 09:23 AM
Anyone who really wants it will import, all they are doing by banning it is giving free publicity and making people who wouldn't normally buy it want to buy it to see what the big deal is.

Personally what makes me angry is that its a game! Its not like it has ultra real graphics that I can't tell from real life. Yet if it was a film (Hostel, Saw 3, 28 weeks later), they'd have given it an 18 rating and I'd be sitting watching real actors performing the same sadistic "acts" right now.

I don't need/want protecting from it and if playing it makes me go on a killing spree then I really wasn't right in the head before I even lay eyes on it.

Peoples-Agent
06-20-07, 09:25 AM
Are the Wii's in your area PAL or NTSC? If NTSC, I would be willing to have you paypal me the money for the game and shipping and send it off to ya...Just let me know :)

All PAL over here.

I might just get a chipped Wii then download a hooky copy of the game. Problem solved!

And there I was already willing to part with cash and pay legal tax on the game. lol

ralinn
06-21-07, 10:33 AM
Sony, Nintendo Block Manhunt 2 Release

Officials from both Sony and Nintendo have confirmed that Manhunt 2 will not be approved for release on the PlayStation 2, PSP or Wii in North America in its current form – with both console manufacturer’s restating their policy that they do not allow AO (adults only) rated games on their systems.

It was revealed on Tuesday that the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) had given Manhunt 2 an AO rating, despite comments from Rockstar Games that an M (mature) rating was more appropriate.

Most U.S. retailers, including Best Buy, GameStop and Wal-Mart, refuse to stock AO rated games as a matter of policy – the only recent exception being Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, which was retroactively given the rating following the “Hot Coffee” incident.

As reported by consumer website GameSpot though, both Sony and Nintendo have confirmed that they will not allow the game to be released on their platforms in North America. Microsoft also has a policy not to allow AO rated games, although the game is not scheduled for release on Xbox 360.

With the game already effectively banned in the UK, and almost certain to be denied a rating in Germany and Australia, the only region in which an uncensored version of the game is likely to be released now is other mainland European countries.

Rockstar has still yet to make any comment on whether it either intends to challenge the ruling, in either the UK or North America, or make changes to the game in order to receive a less harsh ratings restriction

Yikes... not looking goof for R*. :(

Mr_LoL
06-21-07, 10:35 AM
Isn't San Andreas an Adult Only game? I thought that was what the 18 certificate label meant?

|MaguS|
06-21-07, 10:36 AM
Isn't San Andreas an Adult Only game? I thought that was what the 18 certificate label meant?

The original version was changed to AO but Take 2 rereleased it without the "Hot Coffee" content which lowered it back down to M.

ENU291
06-21-07, 10:44 AM
What exactly is it that is causing Manhunt 2 to receive an AO rating? Is it just the violence or is there nudity etc. in the game?

|MaguS|
06-21-07, 10:45 AM
What exactly is it that is causing Manhunt 2 to receive an AO rating? Is it just the violence or is there nudity etc. in the game?

I think its just the insane amount of violence in a game format. The original was pretty bad and I would think the sequel would try to raise the bar.

Imagine it being like Hostel and Saw combined and interactive...

ENU291
06-21-07, 10:52 AM
I think its just the insane amount of violence in a game format. The original was pretty bad and I would think the sequel would try to raise the bar.

Imagine it being like Hostel and Saw combined and interactive...
So by giving the game an "AO" rating the ESRB is stating that a 17 year old can't handle the amount of violence in the game but an 18 year old can? :confused: Oh well... giving this game an "AO" pretty much killed it indefinitely. :headexplode:

Lyme
06-21-07, 11:24 AM

Given the plot for the game: "Go out and stalk/hunt people then tourture/multilate them", and then the gameplay to enable you to do this including disfigurement, mutilation of genitalia, etc..
This game pushes the limits on what is acceptable in modern day society. What is T2 going to develop next? A rape, incest and child molestation game?

superklye
06-21-07, 11:27 AM
Now, if only the government could make all the rest of my decisions for me and tell me exactly how to live my life...then I'd be set. I'd never have to worry about anything ever again!

|MaguS|
06-21-07, 11:37 AM
Given the plot for the game: "Go out and stalk/hunt people then tourture/multilate them", and then the gameplay to enable you to do this including disfigurement, mutilation of genitalia, etc..
This game pushes the limits on what is acceptable in modern day society. What is T2 going to develop next? A rape, incest and child molestation game?

Japanese already have those games... T2's will just be Wii Exclusive.

Lyme
06-21-07, 11:51 AM
Now, if only the government could make all the rest of my decisions for me and tell me exactly how to live my life...then I'd be set. I'd never have to worry about anything ever again!

You need to keep in mind that a freedom is only a freedom if it doesn't infringe on others freedoms. But hey, if you disagree, no worries, I'm more than happy to limit your freedoms so I can express mine.

six_storm
06-21-07, 08:03 PM
I wonder just how much worse MH2 is than the first . . .

|MaguS|
06-21-07, 08:38 PM
They should release it for PC atleast... Direct2Drive only. :D

GamerGuyX
06-21-07, 10:33 PM

Jeez your a pussy.

crainger
06-22-07, 12:27 AM
They should release it for PC atleast... Direct2Drive only. :D

Sounds good to me... I know they are gonna ban it this way and I wouldn't mind giving it a go.

While Manhunt wasn't the best game, it was a decent sneaker. I nabbed a copy just before it was pulled off shelves over here.