PDA

View Full Version : Interview w/ PS3 Software Engineers

Marvel_us
06-19-07, 09:39 PM
Some very interesting stuff in this interview

tidbits....

Q. Upconversion was added half a year after the release. Please discribe the process leading up top it.

Kanehide (K2)
Sorry to keep you waiting for half a year.

Kawanishi (K1)
I said this in past interviews, but if we did a normal bilinear upconversion, then the picture quality would just be the same as what is normally done by TVs and computers. Since we had the Cell, we thought we had to do better than that.

We have gotten feedback from them regarding several failure patters for upconverting, but we are getting closer to the goal. I think we can improve another 30 to 40%.

K1
And there's still power left in the cell processor.

Q.Linking to games, the 360 has a feature to allow music in the HDD and network to be played back as game BGM.

K1
PS3 already has such function in the system software. It is up to the game developers to use the function. Same goes for pictures and videos.

Q.From that point of view, how about playback of WMV and Divx?

K1
The problem with those formats are that they are not industry standards like "mpeg-4", but format that is locked in by various corporations.
But I understand the demand (laugh).

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=567411

LurkerLito
06-19-07, 11:15 PM
I certainly hope developers take the custom BGM stuff and use it. Even though the 360 version is nice in the sense that it allows you always override the BGM if you want, I prefer the way the original XBox did it because you didn't have to loose all the music that came with the game you are playing.

nrdstrm
06-19-07, 11:54 PM
Q.From that point of view, how about playback of WMV and Divx?

K1
The problem with those formats are that they are not industry standards like "mpeg-4", but format that is locked in by various corporations.
But I understand the demand (laugh).

Doesn't really matter...Just use Nero Home and stream Xvids, Wmvs, etc and Nero will convert it on the fly and stream it to the PS3 :) I only have a few files that didn't play...Not bad at all..

ENU291
06-20-07, 09:23 AM
Damn. I wish I had thought of that when I still had my PS3. :banghead:Actually, that ability was added AFTER you sold off your PS3 so don't beat yourself up about it. :o

DiscipleDOC
06-20-07, 10:02 AM
Actually, that ability was added AFTER you sold off your PS3 so don't beat yourself up about it. :o
Yea...allow me to do that! :p

|MaguS|
06-20-07, 10:11 AM
Doesn't really matter...Just use Nero Home and stream Xvids, Wmvs, etc and Nero will convert it on the fly and stream it to the PS3 :) I only have a few files that didn't play...Not bad at all..
I have 2K files on Nero Home, Its great. I just download my anime and can go to my PS3 and watch it all on my TV. My PC is getting less and less use as time goes by...

ViN86
06-20-07, 10:41 AM
K1
And there's still power left in the cell processor.
theyll be saying this in 10 years, too. :rolleyes:

evilchris
06-20-07, 11:00 AM
lol @

"since we had teh cell"

Marvel_us
06-20-07, 11:50 AM
I don't see what the problem is with them saying that. If anything this kind of stuff is what the Cell processor is best at. I'm glad to see they're trying to push the chip to it's limits for uses outside of games.

gmontem
06-20-07, 12:04 PM
I have 2K files on Nero Home, Its great. I just download my anime and can go to my PS3 and watch it all on my TV. My PC is getting less and less use as time goes by...
How's your PC getting less use when you're using it to stream data to the PS3? ;)

|MaguS|
06-20-07, 12:08 PM
How's your PC getting less use when you're using it to stream data to the PS3? ;)

Well the only reason is because my PS3 doesn't have 1TB of storage aswell as it doesn't support some of the formats... if it had these two features then well my PC would rarely be on, lol.

Marvel_us, Just ignore him... In his mind the Cell is Pentium 3 class.

evilchris
06-20-07, 12:13 PM
Marvel_us, Just ignore him... In his mind the Cell is Pentium 3 class.
Did you know the Core 2 is a "Pentium 3 class" CPU? It's also a better chip than teh cell used in the PS3.

Lyme
06-20-07, 12:31 PM
I certainly hope developers take the custom BGM stuff and use it. Even though the 360 version is nice in the sense that it allows you always override the BGM if you want, I prefer the way the original XBox did it because you didn't have to loose all the music that came with the game you are playing.

There is a different development mindset between MS and Sony, MS has integrated the BGM functionality into the game background music api's, in that way the developer has to do extra work to disable it. Sony took the opposite approach and has offered it as a additional api, in which the dev has to do extra work to enable it.

Lyme
06-20-07, 12:36 PM
Did you know the Core 2 is a "Pentium 3 class" CPU? It's also a better chip than teh cell used in the PS3.

We have been through this before at length. The power of the Cell package does not reside in what people would consider the cpu (the powerpc derivative core), which by industry standards is simply a average cpu. The power in the cell package is through the use of the SPEs which shine in DSP like applications. As such the Cell package should excel in AV and Scientific applications.

Mr. Hunt
06-20-07, 12:48 PM
We have been through this before at length. The power of the Cell package does not reside in what people would consider the cpu (the powerpc derivative core), which by industry standards is simply a average cpu. The power in the cell package is through the use of the SPEs which shine in DSP like applications. As such the Cell package should excel in AV and Scientific applications.

ZOMG TEH $ONY SH!LL!@

Lyme
06-20-07, 12:54 PM
ZOMG TEH $ONY SH!LL!@

*Laughs*

evilchris
06-20-07, 01:15 PM
We still have not even begun to start to imagine to fathom the full power of teh PS3 and cell.

Peoples-Agent
06-20-07, 01:15 PM
Looks like typical marketing rhetoric BS talk if you ask me, nowt interesting.

Lyme
06-20-07, 01:16 PM
We still have not even begun to start to imagine to fathom the full power of teh PS3 and cell.

If it were a truely amazing platform, it would be easier to develop for and harness the power of.

evilchris
06-20-07, 01:19 PM
If it were a truely amazing platform, it would be easier to develop for and harness the power of.

Do you want the earth to stop spinning? That would be the result of harnessing the full power of teh ps3.

ENU291
06-20-07, 01:56 PM
{start rant} Sony better start harnessing a little faster! It's freaking 8 months later and all I find are smokin turds at EB Games for this damn console!! HURRY THE HELL UP MAN!! {end rant}

Sorry guys... tough day at work today! ;)

:D

ViN86
06-20-07, 04:25 PM
:rofl

this is why i dislike sony and the c3ll. it's not that its a ****ty cpu, its the fact that they continually tout it and say how they have not yet harnassed its power, and that they may not utilize it fully for 5 years.

what a crock of ****. wtf is the point then? PS4 will be out before they use the stupid ****in thing.

EDIT: i love how PS3 threads constantly digress into this "zzOMG T3H C3LL N T3H P-5-7HR33!!!1111one" :rofl

OldOfEvil
06-20-07, 10:58 PM
Do you want the earth to stop spinning? That would be the result of harnessing the full power of teh ps3.

:rofl