PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't you played Trackmania: United yet?

Pages : [1] 2

3DBrad
06-21-07, 01:17 AM
It's crazy, it's freaking beautiful, and it's on Steam, therefore, no annoying Starforce.

The game runs GREAT.

(WinXP 32 and 160.03 drivers)
1680x1050
8xQ anti-aliasing
16x anisotropic filtering
Mipmaps on trilinear,
LOD on clamp,
Tripple Buffering on, etc.

and it runs great!

Stays at a steady 60-80fps most of the time, and did I mention it's BEAUTIFUL!
Make sure to turn all settings on MAX if you can (like water set on geometry/high, motion blur ON, etc.)

I just started playing it, and it's great, great, great, great! Be sure to support whoever it is that makes this game. I would check it out, but I'm too busy unlocking new tracks. :D

NarcissistZero
06-21-07, 01:29 AM
I love it as well, though the Steam versions says "contains Starforce protection system" on the sales page.

It does look really nice... simple beauty... and the gameplay is the same old excellent Trackmania with some new additions.

The ads are annoying though, but for $30 still well worth it.

Badboy_12345
06-21-07, 04:04 AM
its overpriced on steam... and the retail game has sf... thats why

the sf on the steam version is just the exe file it doesnt install any kind of sf drives its just common protection like any other.

NarcissistZero
06-21-07, 04:54 AM
They should take the warning off there then, or a lot of people might pass.

And how is it overpriced? It's $30 on Steam and $50 on the official site.

gstanford
06-21-07, 05:24 AM
Because its protected with StarForce, and that junk is going no where near my system.

SlamDunk
06-21-07, 05:55 AM
No way TM United is overpriced. You get years worth of gameplay from TMU. For example, I played the first TM for 3 years straight and TMU has the first plus all the other TM games in one which totals into 7 environments/cars. Absolutely HUGE amount of content + the infinite user created content on top of it.

I have been playing racing games since people began making them and, in my opinion, TrackMania is the best thing that has happened to PC arcade racing genre in a long time.

Because its protected with StarForce, and that junk is going no where near my system.
Here's a quote from Valve regarding some concerns about the mention of StarForce on the TrackMania United Steam game page.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6373538&postcount=46
The Steam version of TrackMania United is protected by Steam and not Starforce. Starforce is used by Focus for protection of TrackMania United's game specific data. The Steam version of Track Mania United does not include the copy protection drivers from Starforce. Therefore, any issues that might be associated with the copy protection drivers in Starforce do not apply in this case.

So... there's no need to worry one bit.

RAY16
06-21-07, 06:26 AM
I may get it from Steam the next time I have $30 to spare. I do worry about having a large number of games on Steam, though. Something about all of my eggs being in one basket just makes me feel uneasy. Overall I avoid buying games on Steam unless it's only available on Steam or there's a good reason to get it over retail.

SOAD
06-21-07, 06:54 AM
For some reason I cant purchase anything on steam :(

I have loads of money in my paypal account but it keeps giving me a verification error when I try and buy through steam :(

Any ideas?

Badboy_12345
06-21-07, 08:15 AM
No way TM United is overpriced. You get years worth of gameplay from TMU. For example, I played the first TM for 3 years straight and TMU has the first plus all the other TM games in one which totals into 7 environments/cars. Absolutely HUGE amount of content + the infinite user created content on top of it.

I have been playing racing games since people began making them and, in my opinion, TrackMania is the best thing that has happened to PC arcade racing genre in a long time.

I said trackmania is overpriced on steam compared to retail... like everything else on steam :bleh:
Trackmania in stores is a really good price but it has SF or I would already have bought it

3DBrad
06-21-07, 09:02 AM
For some reason I cant purchase anything on steam :(

I have loads of money in my paypal account but it keeps giving me a verification error when I try and buy through steam :(

Any ideas?

Maybe your account isn't "verified." :)

Greg
06-21-07, 10:47 AM
It's crazy, it's freaking beautiful, and it's on Steam, therefore, no annoying Starforce....
And that is why I was just about to purchase it until I saw "contains Starforce protection system" on the Steam blurb. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Starforce will destroy my hardware, its about Trust. I don't trust Starforce to work on my new OS, nor do I trust it to not interfere with my legitimate CD emulation software. Without Starforce it would have been a guaranteed purchase.

ynnek
06-21-07, 11:17 AM
Oh, I had no idea it was out.. Its on my list to pick up, but I got a few other games to play first.

jAkUp
06-21-07, 12:20 PM
TMU is a fantastic game.

ynnek
06-21-07, 03:11 PM
Man, retail version of this game is kinda hard to find.. I see amazon has a 2-4 week. gogamer has it in stock though, guess I'll go with them.

I'm not getting this on Steam, because given the choices, I'll take my chances with Starforce. (don't bother arguing with me on this) ;)

Destroy
06-21-07, 03:16 PM
Don't care for crappy arcade physics and handling, nuff said. I'm not interested in DIRT either, bleh.

But DIRT with RBR quality handling I'd pay $100 for.

nopp0x00
06-21-07, 03:32 PM
Man, retail version of this game is kinda hard to find.. I see amazon has a 2-4 week. gogamer has it in stock though, guess I'll go with them.

I'm not getting this on Steam, because given the choices, I'll take my chances with Starforce. (don't bother arguing with me on this) ;)

Yeah that makes perfect sense. Steam is non-intrusive and easy to install and remove and it doesn't **** with your drives. You can easily backup games or re-download them; Auto patch when you go to load a game, yet somehow Starforce is better.

I can see why Steam would be viewed as worse than Starforce. :thumbdwn:

Some people are just "special", I suppose.

ynnek
06-21-07, 03:44 PM
Don't care for crappy arcade physics and handling, nuff said. I'm not interested in DIRT either, bleh.

But DIRT with RBR quality handling I'd pay $100 for.

I too am more of a fan of realistic driving games and stuff.. But I played a demo of the previous Trackmania.. and at first I was like, meh... But then I wondered, hey, can I do this... oh wow.. what happens if I do that.. lol! Basically, if you accept that its an arcade game, with its own set of physics and game mechanics, you can pull of some truely craaazy things.. Its like the SSX of driving games.. Totally unrealistic, but still loads of fun in its own way.

And I refuse to get into the agument of starforce vs steam, its been done so many times, and I've gone into this argument so many times. You can search this forum and ressurrect one of those posts if you want, but just about every angle has been covered.

Greg
06-21-07, 11:04 PM
I can see why Steam would be viewed as worse than Starforce. :thumbdwn:
Some people are just "special", I suppose.
No one in this thread so far has said Steam is worse than Starforce. In fact no one has said a negative comment about Steam, just the opposite. What has been repeated is that people will not tolerate Starforce. My reason is trust. I have old Starforce games that no longer work with Vista. There may be a patch now, but I stopped playing months ago. I trust Steam will be updated and work, I don't trust Starforce. I should not need to download a crack just to play my legitimately purchased game on my PC one year later due to some DRM. Anyway, there is no argument, so lets not start one.

The link http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6373538&postcount=46
posted by SlamDunk, appears to be from Valve stating that our concerns are unfounded and StarForce is not used, or not used in the same way as previous disk or online usage.

NarcissistZero
06-21-07, 11:39 PM
No one in this thread so far has said Steam is worse than Starforce. In fact no one has said a negative comment about Steam, just the opposite.

Someone hasn't been paying attention.

crainger
06-21-07, 11:55 PM
Someone hasn't been paying attention.

LOL You know reading is hard for us Aussies...

Greg
06-22-07, 05:10 AM
Forget it, I missed ynnek's line, and his request to not argue about it ;)

Elvin Presler
06-22-07, 06:09 AM
"Why haven't you played Trackmania: United yet?"

Starforce.....and Steam.

No arguement, just my reasons.

Badboy_12345
06-22-07, 08:01 AM
the steam slogan should be : "Pay more for less" :lol:

HiCZoK4
06-22-07, 11:31 AM
"Why haven't you played Trackmania: United yet?" HE I passed it weeks ago! Fun game but first trackmania was better.

NarcissistZero
06-22-07, 05:35 PM
"Why haven't you played Trackmania: United yet?"

Starforce.....and Steam.

No arguement, just my reasons.

As long as you realize we discovered the Steam version doesn't have Starforce.