PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy Resident Evil 4 for Wii or PC?

Tygerwoody
06-21-07, 11:33 AM
I'm buying Resident Evil 4 this weekend. Resident Evil 1 is one of my favorite games ever. I have not played ANY of the other Resident Evil games. This will be my coming back to the series.

I can't decide whether to get it for the Wii or the PC. I'm not sure how much the Wiimote will make the game more fun. I do know that the PC version will look a HELL of alot better, but thats about it.

Vote now :)

|MaguS|
06-21-07, 11:38 AM
Wii because it does something different... PC one requires tons of mods to be enjoyable and playable.

buffbiff21
06-21-07, 11:40 AM
Err.. why not Gamecube?

Sectus
06-21-07, 11:44 AM
Well, as I see, there are the pros of each version (note, I haven't tried the Wii version, but I have tried the Gamecube version which I assume is identical except for the new controls and the new Ada missions (which the PS2 and PC versions has anyway)).

PC version:
-Extremely fast loading
-Crisp and clear graphics thanks to high resolution support
-Some slight modding capabilities (people have created better-texture mods and mods enabling mouse support)

Wii version:
-Improved lighting and some more special effects than the PC version
-Aiming via Wiimote (although I've heard lots of conflicting reports about how actually good the aiming is... but at least you can fall back to using a Gamecube controller for classic controls)

So, well, there's a short summary. Overall, I don't think the differences are that big, so I think you should just go for whichever platform you're most comfortable playing with.

Wii because it does something different... PC one requires tons of mods to be enjoyable and playable.
Tons of mods? I played through the PC vesion using absolutely no mods whatsoever. I can understand some people will get the mouse mod since they prefer playing with a mouse. But I don't quite see how 1 mod is the same as tons of mods.

Mr. Hunt
06-21-07, 11:51 AM
Man Tyger... you blow... get RE2 NAOW! That is the best in the series... can't believe you!

Destroy
06-21-07, 12:40 PM
Wii cause it has proper mouse(remote) aim support while the PC version I guess they couldn't figure out how to do it for some strange reason. :thumbdwn:

HiCZoK4
06-21-07, 12:57 PM
pc version is good with 1.1 patch but wii is differnet with that wiimote

Tygerwoody
06-21-07, 12:59 PM
Man Tyger... you blow... get RE2 NAOW! That is the best in the series... can't believe you!
Wasn't that for PS2?

My last "real" console was the N64. I bought a PS2 upon release and sold it shortly after. I LOVED RE1 for PS1 though.

ynnek
06-21-07, 01:05 PM
The us version is already "1.1" out of the box.

The game is meant to be played with a controller, for better or for worse. If you are going to play it on PC, better have a controller thats the equiv of a PS2 controller. I actually use a PS2 controller with an adapter, and mapping the buttons works perfectly.

If you already have a Wii, I'd say get the Wii version.. because the Wii controls might make this game a bit more interesting than the other versions.

I'm plaiyng the PC version with on mods either. I guess the mod to label the buttons other than 1 2 3 4 etc would be nice. Also, I hear there are mods for improved env textures and better cutscene quality(they originally weren't made in consideration of the higher rez of computer monitors) But its still enjoyable and playable.. But then again, my expectation of this port for a game thats year old for $20 wasn't very high. Its still IMO better than the PS2 and Gamecube version.

Sectus
06-21-07, 01:30 PM
Wasn't that for PS2?

My last "real" console was the N64. I bought a PS2 upon release and sold it shortly after. I LOVED RE1 for PS1 though.
RE1, 2 and 3 were made for the PS1. The only RE games made exclusively for the PS2 were 2 gun survivor games (which were crappy) and 2 Outbreak games (which were semi-crappy).

RE2 is ungodly popular in the RE community and unfortunately I can't understand why. To me, it was basically the same game as RE1 only with a cheesier storyline and the action<->survival ratio shifted more to the action side. In my opinion, RE4 is the DEFINITE best game in the series, it kicks the ass of every RE game which came before it.

I have to agree with ynnek, RE4 is best played with a gamepad. The game uses an erratic aiming system which just "feels" natural with a gamepad, and using a mouse would probably make the game too easy.

I haven't played the Wii version, but for a newcomer to the game I think I'd recommend to have it played as it was meant to be played, which is with a gamepad. Using the Wiimote might be a gamble since it was not originally meant to played that way, and there's conflicting reports about how well it works (eurogamer, for instance, claims the Wii version is destroyed because the Wiimote controls are awful)

stncttr908
06-21-07, 02:38 PM
Rent the Wii version and then decide.

Tygerwoody
06-21-07, 03:04 PM
Rent the Wii version and then decide.
Renting the game is like $9 bucks. May as well buy it because of how cheap it is. :lol:

stncttr908
06-21-07, 03:13 PM
WTF, $9? Shows how long it has been since I set foot inside a Blockbuster.

Tygerwoody
06-21-07, 03:26 PM
WTF, $9? Shows how long it has been since I set foot inside a Blockbuster.
Thats EXACTLY what I thought. I just rented a video game this past weekend for the first time in over 9 years. My how things have changed. :headexplode:

K007
06-21-07, 11:36 PM
The controls on the PC side is its only down fall i think...(if you look at it from a keyboard/mouse POV). The rest looks great as people are making it better and better with mods, but i played/finished the game using the official patch which added a huge improvement. The mods include things like better movie quality, high texture, etc..I think Wii might be a bit more...fun with its controlling system.

jAkUp
06-22-07, 12:45 AM

Yup RE2 was my favorite too, although I never played RE4, I played the hell out of 1-3.

NarcissistZero
06-22-07, 01:00 AM
I played one and two and that was it... until 4 on the PC, which I haven't really gotten into yet.

As for the topic, I don't really like the Wii... tried it at a friends. Seemed overly sensitive and gimmicky, but maybe you get used to it over time. Of course, the PC version is analog stick only... so neither is ideal.

Tygerwoody
06-22-07, 06:19 AM
Well, it looks like I let fate decide what I bought.

I decided on getting the Wii version. Last night I went to best buy, Gamestop , and lastly EB Games. ALL were sold out of Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. EB games had the PC version, so I just went ahead and bought it anyway. I'm very impatient. :p

HiCZoK4
06-22-07, 10:22 AM
Well, it looks like I let fate decide what I bought.

I decided on getting the Wii version. Last night I went to best buy, Gamestop , and lastly EB Games. ALL were sold out of Resident Evil 4 for the Wii. EB games had the PC version, so I just went ahead and bought it anyway. I'm very impatient. :p
hehe be sure to instal 1.1 patch (otherwise graphics sucks) and play with gamepad becouse keyboard is bad(I passed it on keyboard but it was not so easy):D

ynnek
06-22-07, 10:37 AM
us version already is 1.1

Ninjaman09
06-22-07, 10:39 AM
RE4 is the best by far of the series, but of the "classic" (that is PSX) RE games, 2 stands out as the best. I suppose it's no small coincidence they share main characters.

Tiger - this game is so good it doesn't really matter which platform you pick it up for. I'm sure you'll love the PC version. Personally though, I feel this kind of game just begs to be played on a TV with a console controller. Maybe it's just me but the aesthetic and atmosphere seems more genuine that way. I just got my Wii copy this morning (having the same problem as you with local retailers). Once I get home from work I plan on spending some quality time with it this weekend. :)

NaitoSan
06-22-07, 06:28 PM
Wii, hands down.

Wii has true 16:9, using Gamecube build, Wiimote feature and PS2 extras. GC is great but not true 16:9, no wiimote and no PS2 extras.

PC... well, I have one and I didn't like it. Game itself is great of course but controls aren't great so you need to find mouse mod and patch it up for better graphics but that doesn't look as good as GC or Wii build. There's a lot of mods that enhances texture, etc.

So, I say, get Wii edition. :)