PDA

View Full Version : Intel to fight online cheating!!

jAkUp
06-21-07, 11:35 AM
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9732369-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1023_3-0-5

The company showed off a research project into "anti-cheat technology" during its Research@Intel Day at Intel headquarters. The idea is that Intel and the PC gaming industry would build technology into gaming rigs that could detect when common cheats--such as "aimbots" that handle targeting while the player just holds down the trigger--are used in an online gaming session, said Travis Schluessler, a researcher at Intel.

nVidi0t
06-21-07, 11:39 AM
Great news! I'm all for curb stomping hackers.

J-Mag
06-21-07, 12:09 PM
I am hopeful, but not optimistic that cheating will ever go away.

grey_1
06-21-07, 12:23 PM
I love it! If they could pull this off I may start doing some Mp again.

Banko
06-21-07, 12:23 PM
Hrm every single anti-cheat system gets broken, and usually if you know how to code one and don't give it away to anyone you won't ever get caught.

Good for Intel but honestly I doubt it will work for more then a month even.

Madpistol
06-21-07, 03:47 PM
It will probably never make it to market. It's a great technology, but since the majority of enthusiasts are using the Core 2's right now (including hackers/cheaters), it could possibly hurt their sales.

J-Mag
06-21-07, 03:52 PM
It will probably never make it to market. It's a great technology, but since the majority of enthusiasts are using the Core 2's right now (including hackers/cheaters), it could possibly hurt their sales.

Did you read the article? It wouldn't effect Intel's sales in anything but a positive way, as the computer that detects the cheats is unrelated to the other players/cheaters.

$n][pErMan
06-21-07, 05:00 PM
I find it sad people get pissy anyway over cheats. I don't cheat but I dont get pissed when others do. I just pretend im playing the MP game in Hard Mode or something. No biggie.

Redeemed
06-21-07, 05:01 PM
[pErMan']I find it sad people get pissy anyway over cheats. I don't cheat but I dont get pissed when others do. I just pretend im playing the MP game in Hard Mode or something. No biggie.

With cheats like aim bots and invincibility it is far different from playing the game on hard. It is more annoying than anything, actually.

jAkUp
06-21-07, 05:07 PM
[pErMan']I find it sad people get pissy anyway over cheats. I don't cheat but I dont get pissed when others do. I just pretend im playing the MP game in Hard Mode or something. No biggie.

Yes, it is just annoying. And especially for competition sakes, it is completely unfair.

Imagine if it was the same for basketball at the park, if some guy had the ability to make shots from every place on the court, no matter what distance, surely doesn't make it very fun.

ViN86
06-21-07, 05:10 PM
damnit, there goes my complete and utter pwnage in CSS...

jk :p

not a bad idea.

Bman212121
06-21-07, 06:32 PM
Yes, it is just annoying. And especially for competition sakes, it is completely unfair.

Imagine if it was the same for basketball at the park, if some guy had the ability to make shots from every place on the court, no matter what distance, surely doesn't make it very fun.

pff, I doubt it would matter if they could even hit the rim. :p (j/k buddy) :D

nutcrackr
06-21-07, 06:52 PM
They should also build in some sort of plastic explosive that triggers when cheats are detected destroying the persons computer, only then it would be fair.

K007
06-21-07, 11:38 PM

rofl..

After awhile it gets annoying.

Bman212121
06-22-07, 01:05 AM
rofl..

After awhile it gets annoying.

I've seen an aimbot in action for Unreal, and I definitely wouldn't want to be on the recieving end of that thing. It is a little different with regular weapons, but I was messing around with it on my Instagib server. You wouldn't be able to step out of your base without getting instantely shot by it. A lot of times you would get spawnblasted, then you'd get shot again in mid air once your SP is gone.

I actually had one time where someone was using one on a server that didn't have anticheat running, so I got pissed and fired it one up and hunted them down with my own.

K007
06-22-07, 01:14 AM
server that didn't have anticheat running,

Why even bother playing on servers without anti-cheat running on them. Cheaters are annoying and does hinder gameplay, but just like piracy..it's not going to go away for good..only slow it down..best thing to do is, just ignore it..plenty of servers to go arround. Most of the time these cheaters are crap anyway..sometimes its fun to beat them :P.

Rakeesh
06-22-07, 01:23 AM
Furthermore, why would you download a cheat?

Bman212121
06-22-07, 01:24 AM
Why even bother playing on servers without anti-cheat running on them. Cheaters are annoying and does hinder gameplay, but just like piracy..it's not going to go away for good..only slow it down..best thing to do is, just ignore it..plenty of servers to go arround. Most of the time these cheaters are crap anyway..sometimes its fun to beat them :P.

I didn't play on that server that often, but it was a fun place even if they didn't have anti-cheat. You'd get the occasional idiots coming to the server, but for the most part it was just packed all the time with decent players.

You can always tell if they are using a crappy aimbot because their view will jump from one place to the next and fire before you can even see what is going on. Another funny thing is that the aimbot will miss if they are headed diagonally away/toward you. (The bot shoots behind the person) I'd agree that some people that cheat wouldn't be able to play well at all without a bot, but it can be hard to win against a bot.

Bman212121
06-22-07, 01:27 AM

Yea I'm not sure why you would use one if you were actually trying to play the game as it doesn't show that you have skill, but it is kind of fun to mess around with them offline or maybe with some friends.

K007
06-22-07, 03:52 AM

Because they want to get ahead of others, and have the edge against other players...any advantage to be on top, and become e-famous...some do it if they are bored..i aint gonna lie and say i haven't used any cheats..but..its kinda fun to annoy some people...but i haven't done that kind of stuff in ages..atm all i wanna do if i wanna game online is to have fun.