PDA

View Full Version : What's you racing wheel setup like?

Tr1cK
06-21-07, 06:02 PM
Here's my ghetto (but not as bad as a ironing board (haha sorry P-A)) wheel setup for my 360. I just pull up my PC chair and race my ass off.

The thing used to be a nightstand with a single drawer. The strap across the back does kinda look ****ty, but it gives the wheel quite a bit more sturdiness when getting aggressive with it. I hope it doesn't break! The pedals are held in place with heavy duty double sided tape. The sponge piece is under the brake to give it a more authentic brake feel. The corners on the whole thing are reinforced with L brackets.

Bman212121
06-21-07, 07:15 PM
Is that sponge just a regular one you can pick up at a grocery store? I've thought about trying that trick, but I'm not sure what people are using to stiffen up the pedals.

I don't have a pic, but my setup here is I clamp my wheel to the keyboard tray, and then I use two C clamps to hold the tray extended all the way out. This way there is plenty of room for the pedals underneath, otherwise your sitting awkward since the wheel is too close. It actually works quite well. I also switch from my reclining swivel chair to a folding chair because of stability. When you use the swivel chair it wears your legs out holding yourself from turning sideways when pressing down on the pedals.

My other setup that I've used is I take a card table, and I clamp the wheel to the end of that, and then just put the pedals underneath. Seems to work good as well. Both are pretty sturdy, and they need to be because of Force Feedback. My wheel is the Logitech Driving Force Pro.

The thing that your wheel could have used was the clamps that are on the logitechs. Here is a few pics of it. http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/driving%20force%20review/index.htm You just turn that screw on top and it clamps down tightly. They have the blocks installed in those pics, but that extra little piece inside of the clamp can be removed if needed so that you can clamp it to larger things.

Tr1cK
06-21-07, 07:31 PM
The sponge trick works very well for giving the brakes that realistic feel. It is actually a wedge shape piece I cut from a bone shaped sponge I got from Advance Auto to wash my Jeep.

H3avyM3tal
06-22-07, 06:49 AM
My setup :)
Its kinda lame, but its all about the wheel. Looking to upgrade to the g25 when I have some spare cash...

Mind you I don't have a driver's liscense...

And what is that sponge thingy? Will a normal sponge the trick well? Or is that thing depending on the wheel?

Tr1cK
06-22-07, 08:34 AM
It will probably work for other wheels, but I know it works well with the MS Wireless Wheel' pedal design.

Bman212121
06-22-07, 12:44 PM
My setup :)
Its kinda lame, but its all about the wheel. Looking to upgrade to the g25 when I have some spare cash...

Mind you I don't have a driver's liscense...

And what is that sponge thingy? Will a normal sponge the trick well? Or is that thing depending on the wheel?

That wheel looks kinda familiar ;) (Minus the center logo)

You have the same problem I would have with my desk. There is a piece of wood underneath where your feet go, but mine is only about half the width of the desk, so with the wheel mounted onto the keyboard tray I can keep the pedals on the floor right in front of that piece of wood. How well does it work like that? It would seem like you would be sitting a little awkward with the pedals where they are located.

Tygerwoody
06-22-07, 01:52 PM
a G25 sitting on the floor because it doesnt fit my computer table. Therefor i cannot use it :(

Apparently, the G25 does not work well with tables over an inch thick. My table is probably 2 and a half inches to 3 inches thick. The clamps fit over the table just fine, however it is VERY loose. The clamps are on the table VERY tight, but yet still the wheel can fall off by barely touching it.

The steering wheel clamp design for the G25 is absolutely terrible. They have a perfect clamp for the 6 speed shifter and a perfect way of holding their foot pedals in place. But when it comes to the most IMPORTANT part of the kit(the steering wheel) they fail miserably in making a clamp that fits all sized tables. If only they would have used the EXACT same clamp from the shifter to be on the steering wheel it would have worked out(the rear screw the shifter has would be PERFECT to be on the steering wheel)

So, I basically have an expensive decoration for my computer room.

Bman212121
06-23-07, 02:14 AM
a G25 sitting on the floor because it doesnt fit my computer table. Therefor i cannot use it :(

Apparently, the G25 does not work well with tables over an inch thick. My table is probably 2 and a half inches to 3 inches thick. The clamps fit over the table just fine, however it is VERY loose. The clamps are on the table VERY tight, but yet still the wheel can fall off by barely touching it.

The steering wheel clamp design for the G25 is absolutely terrible. They have a perfect clamp for the 6 speed shifter and a perfect way of holding their foot pedals in place. But when it comes to the most IMPORTANT part of the kit(the steering wheel) they fail miserably in making a clamp that fits all sized tables. If only they would have used the EXACT same clamp from the shifter to be on the steering wheel it would have worked out(the rear screw the shifter has would be PERFECT to be on the steering wheel)

So, I basically have an expensive decoration for my computer room.

That's weird... The clamp that is on the DFP is pretty solid for being plastic, and you would have to tug really hard to pull it off the table.

MustangSVT
06-23-07, 12:16 PM
I'll post some pics when I get home from vacation. I've got the G25 nicely put on my desk, pretty comfortable setup. Then I also have a comfortable setup made from an old gym equipment, I have the Logitech DFP put on that one and it's made to play on my TV, I mainly play only Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 with that one.