PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL not Working.

Gummikoph
06-22-07, 08:05 AM
Hi, I'm not sure if this is where this thread belongs, but it seems I can't run anything that requires OpenGL, like Doom 3, Half-Life, Day of Defeat, etc.

I'm running on Windows XP, 8600GT 256MB, AMD 4200+ X2, 2GB of RAM and I'm using the 158.22 ForceWare drivers.

I can't say for sure what the problem could be, I upgraded about a month ago from a 7900GT that had burned out on me, and I only recently tried playing games that used OpenGL, In the case of Half-Life and Day of Defeat, it will force Software modes while Doom 3 just gives me an error on startup (I can't remember what it said exactly, but I recall seeing "OpenGL failed" or "OpenGL failure to start")

Any help would be appreciated.

CaptNKILL
06-22-07, 08:18 AM
Have you tried any different video drivers or tried reinstalling those ones?

Gummikoph
06-22-07, 08:21 AM
Well, I'll try reinstalling the current ones, but I had tried the drivers that were already on the disc when I first got it with no luck there either.

Joe Public
06-22-07, 08:32 AM
My friend had the same problem, he hadn't cleared out the driver crap from his previous ones. (Though I think he had a nasty habit of installing drivers on top of eachother without uninstalling first).

Anyways, once I did a cleanout sweep on his rig, everything OpenGL-related worked fine again.

Gummikoph
06-22-07, 08:40 AM
I just reinstalled the 158.22 ForceWare drivers to no avail.. and I always uninstalled display drivers before installing new ones.. so I'm not too sure what I should try now.

Edit:I looked in the Nvidia folder (C:\NVIDIA\Win2KXP) and found folders named after previous driver versions, in this case, 91.47 and 93.71 along with the current 158.22, should I delete the 91.47 and 93.71 folders?

alucard_x
06-28-07, 01:09 PM
I just reinstalled the 158.22 ForceWare drivers to no avail.. and I always uninstalled display drivers before installing new ones.. so I'm not too sure what I should try now.

Edit:I looked in the Nvidia folder (C:\NVIDIA\Win2KXP) and found folders named after previous driver versions, in this case, 91.47 and 93.71 along with the current 158.22, should I delete the 91.47 and 93.71 folders?

that folder is where the nV installer extracts the drivers to. these are just setup files.

yes you can delete them, but it won't do anything to solve your problem.

i recommend deleting the whole folder and running DriverCleaner in between the uninstall-install process.