PDA

View Full Version : Overclock your PSP Sony Style!!

ENU291
06-25-07, 12:42 PM
It seems that Sony has unleashed the full power of PSP's CPU. Initially the PSP's CPU was clocked at 222MHZ, the devs behind Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters were allowed to increase that speed to 266MHZ and now the latest firmware (3.5) is giving all developers the ability to run the CPU at 333MHZ. I wonder how this will affect battery life...

http://www.dailytech.com/PSP+35+Firmware+Unlocks+Higher+333MHz+Clockspeed/article7796.htm

Marvel_us
06-25-07, 12:49 PM
Looking at some of the upcoming games for PSP like FF and GoW I wonder if those games are using the extra power because they look amazing.

NaitoSan
06-25-07, 04:34 PM
To sell PSP, or not to sell PSP, that is the question.

Lyme
06-25-07, 06:10 PM
To sell PSP, or not to sell PSP, that is the question.

The PSP is a very hard sell, not because it doesn't sell well, because it does, but when your the three ounce contestant against the 200lb gorilla of handhelds your going to have a rough time. We have to face the fact that no matter how well the psp sells, the DS sales are simply amazing.

As for battery life assuming all things are equal, which they are not, 333mhz is 1/3rd faster than 222mhz as such the battery life would be reduced by 1/3rd. However even increasing the clock speed of the cpu in the psp doesn't increase the speed of all of the other parts, one of which is the lcd which more than likely is the biggest power draw. Anyhow you can expect the reduction in battery life to be less than 1/3rd of what it is now, and anyone saying otherwise is likely on crack, I expect a reduction in the range of 1/6th to 1/8th.

ENU291
06-25-07, 06:48 PM
The same thing that is currently happening with the PS3 has been an ongoing issue with the PSP. A lack of high quality exclusive titles.

Marvel_us
06-25-07, 07:01 PM
The same thing that is currently happening with the PS3 has been an ongoing issue with the PSP. A lack of high quality exclusive titles.

Both of which will be changed by fall if release dates hold up.

CDE_1246
06-25-07, 07:05 PM
Thats really cool how developers can change the clock speed of the PSP. The thing I dont like about the PSP is that there are like no games for the PSP which really pisses me off becuase I thought that it was gonna be awesome.

BTW: Can anyone tell me if Rainbow Six Vegas for the PSP is any good? Thanks.

|MaguS|
06-25-07, 07:11 PM
There are like no games for the PSP which really pisses me off becuase I thought that it was gonna be awesome.

Really?

Wipeout
Lumines
Twisted Metal
Burnout
Daxter
MGS:PO
Rachet and Clank
Syphon Filter
Ridge Racer
Tekken: Dark Resurrection
Killzone: Liberation
LocoRoco
Ace Combat X
Hot Shots Golf
Field Commander

Just a few games I have picked up for the system... Sure the DS has more original titles but none can touch the PSPs graphics out put.

Ninja Prime
06-25-07, 10:18 PM
So, the question begs, if they could do this from launch, why did they sell you something that was less powerful than it could have been, when all it took was a firmware update? They sold you something underclocked, but why?

|MaguS|
06-25-07, 10:34 PM
So, the question begs, if they could do this from launch, why did they sell you something that was less powerful than it could have been, when all it took was a firmware update? They sold you something underclocked, but why?

too control the progression in the titles... basically make the system look better later in its life then right from the beginning.

8800gtsfan
06-25-07, 10:38 PM
Really?

Wipeout
Lumines
Twisted Metal
Burnout
Daxter
Rachet and Clank
Syphon Filter
Ridge Racer
LocoRoco
Ace Combat X
Hot Shots Golf
Field Commander

Just a few games I have picked up for the system... Sure the DS has more original titles but none can touch the PSPs graphics out put.

NHL07
NFL Street
NFL Blitz
Madden 07
MK unchained
GTA VC, LCS

There are alot of good games for the PSP, I love mine.

Sabadin
06-25-07, 10:55 PM
basically make the system look better later in its life then right from the beginning.

Right, because they were just flying off the shelves all these years up til now. :rolleyes:

GamerGuyX
06-25-07, 11:32 PM
I still prefer the PSP to the DS. Actually got rid of my DS about six months ago but finally bought it again after Theme Park came out for it (grew up playing that game).

KasuCode
06-25-07, 11:48 PM
I ran mine at 333 a few times just to test it out over a year ago with dev-hook.

slick
06-26-07, 12:20 AM
Really?

Wipeout
Lumines
Twisted Metal
Burnout
Daxter
Rachet and Clank
Syphon Filter
Ridge Racer
LocoRoco
Ace Combat X
Hot Shots Golf
Field Commander

My problem with that is that those are all console games that got PSPified (barring Lumines and LocoRoco). I play handhelds for their unique titles and gaming experiences, not a low res MGS with ****ty controls. Graphics is probably my LAST priority when it comes to handhelds.

|MaguS|
06-26-07, 07:04 AM
My problem with that is that those are all console games that got PSPified (barring Lumines and LocoRoco). I play handhelds for their unique titles and gaming experiences, not a low res MGS with ****ty controls. Graphics is probably my LAST priority when it comes to handhelds.

I like full games rather then a bunch of software that they call games but only consisit of mini games...

ENU291
06-26-07, 08:16 AM
Some could argue that the role of a hand held is to give players a quick gaming fix while on the road or commuting to and from work... which is exactly what a system like the DS excels at. Sitting down and playing on a hand held gaming system for hours on end might not be ideal to certain people. I personally find that gaming for more than a half an hour on the PSP is very uncomfortable.

Lyme
06-26-07, 10:58 AM

I disagree, that isn't the problem with the psp. The problem with the psp is it is aimed at gamers and has a list of good games for gamers. The DS on the other hand has partial ports with mini games, a bunch of puzzle things like sudoku, virtual pet stuff, etc.. Stuff not for "real gamers". How is that a problem with the psp you ask? Simple, the market for non-gamer games is significantly larger than the market for gamer games. For example: around the office here I've noticed a few people like to play sudoku, they are not gamers in the slightest but might buy a DS for sudoku. On the other fringe is the really really young gamers who have parents who don't want them playing things like killzone, etc. The DS has all the cheap/silly/(sometimes stupid) kids games, which is why my fiancee and I bought a DS for my son.

Ultimately the psp doesn't sell badly, it just looks like it is compared to the only competitor.

|MaguS|
06-26-07, 11:24 AM
Ultimately the psp doesn't sell badly, it just looks like it is compared to the only competitor.

In the US the PSP is very close to the DS in sales... where the DS dominates is in Japan where everyone owns a DS but continues to buy the new revisions that are released.

Mind you also that compared to the other handhelds the PSP is doing amazing... anyon remember how poorly the gamegear did?

slick
06-27-07, 08:19 AM
I like full games rather then a bunch of software that they call games but only consisit of mini games...

lol, how many mini game compilations are there for the DS? I can name two.

GamerGuyX
06-27-07, 01:02 PM
lol, how many mini game compilations are there for the DS? I can name two.

He's saying most games on the DS are nothing but mini game compilations.

Which I agree with to a degree.