PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft now receiving 2,500 broken 360s per day in UK alone?

Pages : [1] 2 3

nekrosoft13
06-26-07, 08:09 PM
New complaints claim out-of-country repair centres are now being used due to unprecedented demand

Microsoft’s UK repair centre in Havant is now redistributing faulty consoles to foreign repair centres in order to clear an overwhelming backlog and keep up with the 1,500 to 2,500 Xbox 360s arriving at its doors on a daily basis, according to customer reports.

According to Lee Sherman (Gamertag, Toxic Daywalker), who sent us details of his horrible experience, his Xbox 360 had been sent to Prague for repair, which has extended the repair time considerably.

He talks of how three weeks and repeated phone calls yielded no further clues to the status of his repair, with customer service representatives merely telling him that it would be “returned shortly”.

Lee even claims that when he asked to speak to the repair centre direct, he was told this wasn’t possible because they don’t have phones... However, using a directory enquiry service he was able to obtain the number for the repair centre, where he was shocked to learn that his console was actually in Prague, not Havant as Microsoft customer service reps had claimed.

Additionally, the call to the Havant repair centre revealed some other worrying stats: “A shocking statistic we found out though is that between 1,500 to 2,500 consoles get sent to Havant by three UPS lorries per day, to then be shipped to Prague for repair,” Lee told us, going on to add, “[We] phoned up Nora the [customer service] supervisor again, who then admitted my console was in Prague and hadn’t been looked at yet – she seemed amazed that we knew!”

Comments from users on the Xbox.com forum reveal similar woes, and some have also discovered their consoles are indeed in repair centres outside of the UK: “I just spoke to the customer support people because my 360 has been gone since the 8th of June,” says forum user, LordBrown in a post dated 23rd of June. “Apparently because of the backlog in Havant they’re sending 360s to repair centres outside the UK! And that because of this Microsoft are legally allowed an additional ten days to get your 360 back to you.”

From the sounds of things it seems Microsoft is fighting a losing battle on this front, as more and more units flood in for repair. It kind of reminds of that bit in Santa Claus The Movie when all of those defective wooden toys started falling apart…

We connected Microsoft this morning, however we’re still waiting for an official response. We’ll let you know the moment we hear anything.

Lastly, we’d also like to point you to our continuing Xbox 360 hardware failure survey, which is now approaching 5000 entries. Click here to head over and fill it out now, if you haven’t done so already.

http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=1143

stjuart
06-26-07, 08:15 PM
blueray player here i come, ow well forza 1 will have to do for now.

|MaguS|
06-26-07, 08:22 PM
2.5K per day?! Oh come on now.... Even I can't believe that... That would mean that almost every unit MS has made and sold was defective...

Bman212121
06-26-07, 09:08 PM
2.5K per day?! Oh come on now.... Even I can't believe that... That would mean that almost every unit MS has made and sold was defective...

I bet everyone that heard about the upgraded cooling magically started having problems with their consoles. ;)

GamerGuyX
06-26-07, 09:21 PM
I bet everyone that heard about the upgraded cooling magically started having problems with their consoles. ;)

If your console was working fine then why would you return it to get a new one with better cooling? :eek2:

ENU291
06-26-07, 09:47 PM
So in the UK about 70,000 360's are sent back to MS for repair every month... wouldn't a figure like that kick off some massive investigation by the state or something? Those numbers just don't add up to me.

nutcrackr
06-26-07, 09:49 PM
sounds more like they have a backlog of units ready for repair. I doubt it would be that many a day throughout the whole year :o

Lfctony
06-26-07, 09:54 PM
Well, the European consoles were sold about a year ago. With the 360's lifespan of about one year, that would explain the sudden breakdowns and increase of broken down units at this time. Yes, mine broke down too, 5 days out of warranty, and MS will not cover Cyprus. So I'm stuck with a $600 paperweight.

Thank you.

|MaguS|
06-26-07, 09:55 PM
So in the UK about 70,000 360's are sent back to MS for repair every month... wouldn't a figure like that kick off some massive investigation by the state or something? Those numbers just don't add up to me.
Um I believe the UK is forcing MS to provide answers regarding the units reliability.

Bman212121
06-26-07, 10:00 PM
If your console was working fine then why would you return it to get a new one with better cooling? :eek2:

True true.

nekrosoft13
06-26-07, 10:24 PM
ok question

does every country in Europe has MS return/repair center?

maybe some of those consoles are from other nations?

nrdstrm
06-27-07, 02:11 AM
I'm glad (currently) that I got a PS3 and a Wii then :P

@ GamerGuyX - Why the hell do you have an RIP sig for a guy that MURDERED HIS WIFE AND CHILD?!?!? Seems kinda f'ed up to me...

Lfctony
06-27-07, 04:02 AM
ok question

does every country in Europe has MS return/repair center?

maybe some of those consoles are from other nations?

Nope. Those consoles are probably from other countries as well. Not all are supported by MS. Cyprus doesn't have one and it's not even supported by MS at all, even if they sell it officially... Basically you get a one year warranty from your retailer, and if it breaks after that, you're out of luck. They can send it to the UK for repairs, but where's the proof that MS requested funds? They could very likely say that the console was under warranty to MS (ie sold 6 months ago) and get it repaired for free while they ask me to pay $200 for repair costs. And since we're talking about a design flaw, it's just a matter of time until it breaks down again.

Saintster
06-27-07, 04:18 AM
Well, the European consoles were sold about a year ago. With the 360's lifespan of about one year, that would explain the sudden breakdowns and increase of broken down units at this time. Yes, mine broke down too, 5 days out of warranty, and MS will not cover Cyprus. So I'm stuck with a $600 paperweight.

Thank you.

Me too..oh well looks like a ps3 is the way to go.

BioHazZarD
06-27-07, 05:01 AM
Man thats crazy.. per day sounds insanely high i have a hard time belive that.

thor1182
06-27-07, 08:05 AM
what a warranty is for? Shouldn't need them, but in my experience with some electronic devices that should just work, its always smart to get a warranty on some things just in case to prevent yourself from being screwed.

Tr1cK
06-27-07, 08:11 AM
*cough*bull*****cough*

|MaguS|
06-27-07, 09:22 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160603

Kid is on his 11th X360! Say what you want but I have never known anyone to go through so many of the same consoles.

Tr1cK
06-27-07, 09:26 AM
I'm still on #1....from December 05.

|MaguS|
06-27-07, 09:27 AM
I'm still on #1....from December 05.

Hope your knocking on wood...

Stoneyguy
06-27-07, 09:29 AM

As a preventative measure before your warranty expired.

Tr1cK
06-27-07, 09:35 AM
Hope your knocking on wood...

It is well taken care of and it doesn't get used all that much either.

thor1182
06-27-07, 09:35 AM
I'm not going to say that there is not probably a reliability issue with the console. I hope they are fixing it. Its also unsure what condition people are putting these things in to cause them to fail so much. Sort of like placing a PC in an enclosed cabinet and wondering why it overheats all the time.

nemecb
06-27-07, 10:07 AM
I would have to agree with that, although I would never have believed that someone could go through 12 of them either. We'll probably never know how high the failure rates really are since I'm sure they'll never release official numbers.

ajay()
06-27-07, 12:51 PM
It's strange isn't it? I'm not disputing the problems people have been having, but I know 10 people with 360's ("real" world people) and none have had problems. Mine's 18 months old and apart for the GOW disc gettign the unreadable error every now and again and COD3 crashing, I've not had a single problem with it.

Is it luck? I dunno, I do wonder if 360's are quite fragile, and some people just mistreat them. Or whether the failures are owned by people who play them the most - having a tough job and 3 kids I don't play for hours every day, but it gets turned on everyday, I usually browse marketplace, watch a film, play a game or combinations thereof every day. When time allows I'll be playing for 5 hrs plus a day.

As it appears to be a overheating problem, I've always had the power supply and console in a comparatively "cool" area.
That said I'm sure noone's lying and some are just unfotunate, but I think a little care (whether you should have to or not) with you £250 peice of electronics wouldn't go amiss