PDA

View Full Version : Geforce 7800GTX SLI Vista & WoW

Kromulis
06-27-07, 07:48 PM
What drivers can I use to get SLI working without artifacts in WoW under Vista?

ikjadoon
06-28-07, 11:08 AM
Hmm...They aren't OC'd, are they?

Try 162.15 BETA. Don't know if it cures any artifacts or anything, but is the best SLI driver yet.

~Ibrahim~

Tr1cK
06-28-07, 11:12 AM
I didn't think WoW benefited from SLI anyways.

clboy
06-29-07, 08:48 PM
With my 7900 GTX in SLI I'm getting 60 FPS everywhere except shatrath. I'm running Vista 64 with Driver version 160.04 (according to the nvidia control panel). In shatrath I get about 15-40 fps. Under Windows XP i was averaging 130+ Fps almost everywhere. Also I'm getting random weird crashes on a clean install so I'm thinking of RMA'ing my cards.

Buckeye
06-29-07, 10:04 PM
I do not believe itís your cards, itís WoW. Itís not made to run SLI atm, at least thatís the best I can tell after reading many, many posts on it.

See my spec below.

With 1 card running and VSync turned off and I am getting 80-100+ with drops to the 60 range. Turning on VSync and I am nailed at 60 everywhere, few drops here and there buts right back up.
With 2 cards running SLI performance is really subpar, hard to get to 60 and be stable. A few minutes being logged in and I get texture flashes all around me.

Itís either Nvidia drivers or WoW not working well with SLI.

K007
06-30-07, 02:48 AM
Wow does benefit from SLI, but not as much when its a full man raid/etc. A faster cpu will benefit more.

Buckeye
06-30-07, 10:11 AM
Sorry to say but WoW does not benefit from SLI atm, it is not supported.

Just take a look at Bliz Tech Support Forums and search "SLI" or even do a google search "WoW SLI".

In most cases there is no differance with older cards, and many report that newer cards they get worse performance and texture flickering. I ran 2x BFG 7600 OC on a older system maybe 2 machines ago, there simply was no differance when running 1 card or 2. But I did not have the texture flickering on those cards.

Onlines games can fool you at times when you get higher or lower FPS in certian areas. But many things contribute to that, ping, number of players etc., in the area at the time you are checking your numbers.

ikjadoon
06-30-07, 02:23 PM
Have you tried enabling V-Sync and Triple Buffering?

~Ibrahim~

K007
07-01-07, 05:18 AM
Doesn't Vsync kill SLI.

ikjadoon
07-01-07, 01:06 PM
It's complicated. V-Sync basically syncs the FPS to the refresh rate of your monitor. Basically, if you don't have 60FPS and above, it kills FPS. I think.

~Ibrahim~

Buckeye
07-01-07, 01:33 PM
Also turning V-Sync off does some strange things for me at times. Like I can sometimes see the buffer being drawn by a line that goes from top to bottom, not a actual line but more like watching the buffer fill from the top to bottom. It happens very fast and is hardly noticeable, but still bugs me so I pretty much run with it turned on. It doesn't really matter to me if I actually see I am getting 110 FPS because being pegged at 60 is all you really need imo.

I haven't tried Triple Buffering yet with SLI turned on to see what that does. Might give that a spin later on tonight.

ikjadoon
07-01-07, 01:42 PM
I hate to break it to you, but you can't use triple buffering with SLI. Don't know why, but you just can't....:(

~Ibrahim~

K007
07-02-07, 01:25 AM
SLI works fine for me on my 7950GX2. Like i said before, when alot of people are around the bars are not fully fill..but it is filled enuf to show that, yes SLI does work. The main thing you can do to increase FPS in this game would be to get better CPU/Memory over a high end GPU/SLI.

But in this case its an issue with SLI/Vista. It could be just that the drivers as usual are only SLI supporting GF8 Series atm, i have given up on SLI/GF7 and along with Vista till they get some solid drivers out, and for me the 7950GX2 becomes useless with SLI so thats why i use XP.

Things that cause problems in WoW and SLI is the Mouse Smooth function, disable this and watch the SLI bars fill up, another would be Vsync, since you cant use Tripple buffering in SLI..well afik atleast it wont help..tbh i never seen much use for Vsync for me..probably because i am still CRT ><.

SLI does help here and there in WoW..but not to much extent because of the large amount of objects(Players/NPC) that move around, more likely you will gain more benefit from a higher/faster CPU..i know WoW supports Dual Core, but i am uncertain as to weather they take full advantage of it.

As for SLI and Vista..for GF7 series..i say just wait till Nvidia released proper drivers...or get a 8800 card...otherwise just play it off in XP.

Bokishi
07-02-07, 02:21 AM
I hate to break it to you, but you can't use triple buffering with SLI. Don't know why, but you just can't....:(

~Ibrahim~

I can, and so did Xion when he had 8800s

ikjadoon
07-02-07, 10:50 AM
Really? I always thought you couldn't use triple buffering with SLI? :eek2:

~Ibrahim~

Bokishi
07-02-07, 05:27 PM
It's weird but 8800 GTX SLI allows it

ikjadoon
07-02-07, 08:03 PM
That is weird. Maybe they finally fixed it?

~Ibrahim~