PDA

View Full Version : Did I fry my video card...?

Dichotomous Rex
06-29-07, 10:38 AM
I'm running a P4 3.2 Windows XP box with an nVidia GeForce 5650 I bought back in '95. Everything worked fine up at my house, then I packed my tower into my car and drove to a friends' house. When we went to boot up the computer, the monitor powered on at first, to display the Windows logo and whatnot, but by the time the startup sound displays and my mouse turns on, the monitor has entered powersave mode. The computer is on but the monitor won't display anything.

I opened the computer and checked everything for loose cables, no luck. I do not have access to a second monitor today, so that form of troubleshooting is out for now. Is there something in the Bios or startup settings, before the monitor turns itself off, that I can change? Does anyone know what happened - did the vibrations of my car break something?

Feeling helpless... thank you very much.

Dichotomous Rex
06-29-07, 01:03 PM
I've been google searching for two hours now, there are too many monitor problems out there, I'm finding nothing on this specific issue. Please, does anybody recognize these symptoms?

Back to google...

SemperFi
06-29-07, 01:27 PM
Did you pull the card out and re-seat it?

nekrosoft13
06-29-07, 01:28 PM
ok, you checked cables

but have you actually checked the card? movement can cause the card to slightly get out of the slot.

Dichotomous Rex
06-29-07, 01:40 PM
It's screwed in, and seated pretty securely, but I'll try completely removing and resetting it.

Edit: No luck, that didn't help. Everything seems pretty secure, unless there's a wire or connection that I'm not noticing.

Dichotomous Rex
06-29-07, 02:43 PM
The internet has failed me. :(

I don't understand why it displays the Windows logo and my bios but not the actual desktop. I can hear desktop sounds if I click around. Is there a way in the bios to maybe change the startup resolution and see if that is the problem?

I am flabbergasted, and quite frustrated. I've triple checked the insides and all the basics, I've disconnected all USB peripherals, and I borrow a monitor of the neighbors, and I still get the same thing, the monitor goes to power saver mode when it reaches desktop. Nobody has any ideas?

SemperFi
06-29-07, 02:53 PM
Try booting in safe mode. Then maybe an uninstall and re-install of the vid drivers.

Capt. Picard
06-29-07, 02:54 PM
Well if it shows the windows logo then the card is fine, I think. I'd say it's a software issue if the display bombs out at a precise moment, in which case I'd say it's a virus.

Try and boot into safe mode. Press F8 before the windows logo comes on to choose that.

Capt. Picard
06-29-07, 02:55 PM
Try booting in safe mode. Then maybe an uninstall and re-install of the vid drivers.

Hey I wanted to say that. :D

SemperFi
06-29-07, 02:59 PM
Resistance is futile. :smoking:

Dichotomous Rex
06-29-07, 03:02 PM
When I try to boot in safe mode, it runs down a screen of drivers and locks up on agp440.sys.

Actually, yesterday I became suspiscious that I may have a virus. Perhaps that is the case.

Thanks guys. :(

Redeemed
06-29-07, 03:19 PM
When I try to boot in safe mode, it runs down a screen of drivers and locks up on agp440.sys.

Actually, yesterday I became suspiscious that I may have a virus. Perhaps that is the case.

Thanks guys. :(

I'm no uber geek when it comes to system files... but wouldn't AGP440.sys be referencing either his chipset or video card drivers?

Eitherway, try booting into your XP Setup disk. It should detect your current installation of Windows, and offer you the option to have it repaired. Just do that and see if that works.

Inf1n1tyComplex
06-29-07, 03:22 PM
Reminds me of the time some guy come in to a store where I buy computer stuff, they hooked up the computer and everything to the store owners monitor and when it got to windows it just went blank... To make a long story short the problem was that the guys computer had the resolution running at higher then what the store owners monitor could handle and thus the computer was running but when windows booted nothing turned up... So after running it in safe mode they were able to fix the resolution so it could support the store owners monitor so it could be fixed...

So basically what we need to know is your old resolution was and what monitor you are using at your friends house... Have you tried to get into safe mode again... Some computers lock when getting into safe mode every now and then but at a 2nd or 3rd try they pass..

Hope this was of some help...

nekrosoft13
06-29-07, 03:32 PM
Inf1n1tyComplex is correct

same could happen when refresh rate is set to high.

Dichotomous Rex
06-29-07, 03:36 PM
The res is 1280x1024, and this same monitor ran it at that res last week no problem. However, I think I may have raised the refresh rate to 70 from 60 or something... I'm not at home, so we don't have my windows setup disk, but we're checking the closets for a spare copy. I'm also attempting the third boot into safe mode to see if we can get past the agp440.sys thing.

Thanks for all the help. I bet it's the refresh rate change that's causing the problem, but it's also odd that it won't properly boot to safe mode...

CaptNKILL
06-29-07, 03:47 PM
The res is 1280x1024, and this same monitor ran it at that res last week no problem. However, I think I may have raised the refresh rate to 70 from 60 or something... I'm not at home, so we don't have my windows setup disk, but we're checking the closets for a spare copy. I'm also attempting the third boot into safe mode to see if we can get past the agp440.sys thing.

Thanks for all the help. I bet it's the refresh rate change that's causing the problem, but it's also odd that it won't properly boot to safe mode...
Did you try the "VGA Mode" boot option? That will reset your display settings to 640x480 at 60Hz.

It definitely sounds like a case of the monitor not being able to handle the refresh rate you set the system to.

The file error when booting into safe mode is probably unrelated. I've seen other systems freeze on random files in safe mode. If you didn't have a software problem before, there isn't any reason you'd have one after moving the PC.

I'm 99% sure its related to the refresh rate.

Redeemed
06-29-07, 04:00 PM
Did you try the "VGA Mode" boot option? That will reset your display settings to 640x480 at 60Hz.

It definitely sounds like a case of the monitor not being able to handle the refresh rate you set the system to.

The file error when booting into safe mode is probably unrelated. I've seen other systems freeze on random files in safe mode. If you didn't have a software problem before, there isn't any reason you'd have one after moving the PC.

I'm 99% sure its related to the refresh rate.

That is initially what I suspected- either the refresh rate or resolution being too high. But due to him not being able to enter safe mode makes me wonder if something else might be acting up...

Anyhow, if he cannot get into safe mode he's kinda' screwed to the best of my knowledge. At that point the only option is to use a monitor that supports that refresh rate at that resolution, or repair windows.

Tr1cK
06-29-07, 04:04 PM
That is initially what I suspected- either the refresh rate or resolution being too high. But due to him not being able to enter safe mode makes me wonder if something else might be acting up...

Anyhow, if he cannot get into safe mode he's kinda' screwed to the best of my knowledge. At that point the only option is to use a monitor that supports that refresh rate at that resolution, or repair windows.

If it won't go into safe mode, then it isn't the video card drivers or the refresh rate. It sounds like something physical happened during moving it. The hard drive could have possible gotten damaged corrupting that agp system file in the process. I think you can run a chkdsk from the command prompt right?

Yea...hit F8 as if you were going to safe mode, then select command prompt. At the command prompt, type in chkdsk c: /f

Dichotomous Rex
06-29-07, 04:19 PM
After letting it sit for about ten minutes on the agp440.sys screen, it finally entered safe mode... but there was no task menu, and I couldn't find a way to get into control panel. I restarted and ran it in VGA mode, which reset the refresh rate and solved the problem. Thank you everybody! Especially CaptNKILL!

Thanks to everyone who read this. I wish I had known what the VGA option did this morning... I did suspect the refresh rate issue was causing the problem and I would have tried that before jumping online. I guess any day that you learn something isn't wasted...

CaptNKILL
06-29-07, 04:20 PM

VGA Mode should still work.

It will say something like "Boot Normally (VGA Mode)" in the F8 boot menu.

It just resets the video options to the minimum and loads windows normally. You can change them to what you want, and then reboot and it should be back to normal.

I guess its possible that the video card was damaged or that the hard drive decided to nuke itself and ruin some system files, but it seems more likely that its just a monitor compatibility issue and that safe mode is having an unrelated issue (which happens).

Tr1cK
06-29-07, 04:29 PM
VGA Mode should still work.

It will say something like "Boot Normally (VGA Mode)" in the F8 boot menu.

It just resets the video options to the minimum and loads windows normally. You can change them to what you want, and then reboot and it should be back to normal.

I guess its possible that the video card was damaged or that the hard drive decided to nuke itself and ruin some system files, but it seems more likely that its just a monitor compatibility issue and that safe mode is having an unrelated issue (which happens).

Hmm, I was certain that safe mode was basic VGA as well.

Anyways, glad you got it working.