PDA

View Full Version : 8800 drivers w/ working flat panel scaling (XP)

jingra
06-29-07, 02:10 PM
Just looking for feedback about 8800 series drivers that can do aspect ratio control for those of us with monitors that can't do it. Release notes of latest betas suggested this had been worked on, but I can't seem to get a sense from the community of whether it is fixed or not. If you know of any driver versions that have this function working, please post your experience here. Thanks!:)

theriverlethe
06-29-07, 02:26 PM
I haven't had any trouble with this feature in any driver version for several months.

Edit: Whoops, didn't realize this was the XP forum.

Shocky
06-29-07, 02:35 PM
Only works with the launch driver in XP which I beleive was 96.89, from then on it's been broken for most.

YTDamnit
06-29-07, 05:50 PM
I posteed this workaround a ehile back but here it is again.

Boot your PC with the monitor powered off. Once your at the desktop (I'll let you decide how to best determine that) power up and you can set and save the setting, at least until the next boot.

Lame but it works.

-YT

DJB
06-30-07, 08:10 PM
It really seems very dependent on what monitor you are using, and what drivers you have had installed over time.
I personally have never had fat panel scaling stop working. It has worked fine in every set of drivers I have tried. It worked with my 6800GT, a 7900GT, and it works with my 8800GTX.

I am currently using the 162.15 drivers from nVidia's beta page on nZone, running XP Sp2, and I am using a Dell 2005FPW monitor.

DJB

Shocky
07-01-07, 09:28 AM
It really seems very dependent on what monitor you are using, and what drivers you have had installed over time.
I personally have never had fat panel scaling stop working. It has worked fine in every set of drivers I have tried. It worked with my 6800GT, a 7900GT, and it works with my 8800GTX.

I am currently using the 162.15 drivers from nVidia's beta page on nZone, running XP Sp2, and I am using a Dell 2005FPW monitor.

DJB

Naa, it's mainly a driver issue, bit odd that it works fine with the launch driver and then it stops working, not to mention it's working in vista.

btw, are you sure it's not using display built in scalling as thats what it's defaulting to with 162.15.

DJB
07-01-07, 02:46 PM
Nah back at ya. As I stated, it has always worked fine for me.
I can set it to whatever..nVidia scaling, Monitor scaling, no scaling. It all works fine. Always has. I still think this is not only about drivers but about specific monitors. Probably screws up with newer monitors that have never protocols or something wonderous like that.

Still sorry that so many folks seem to have this issue. Hard for me to help pinpoint it since I have never had the problem.

Good luck!

DJB

Shocky
07-01-07, 03:19 PM
Nah back at ya. As I stated, it has always worked fine for me.
I can set it to whatever..nVidia scaling, Monitor scaling, no scaling. It all works fine. Always has. I still think this is not only about drivers but about specific monitors. Probably screws up with newer monitors that have never protocols or something wonderous like that.

Still sorry that so many folks seem to have this issue. Hard for me to help pinpoint it since I have never had the problem.

Good luck!

DJB

Only works with the launch driver in XP which I beleive was 96.89, from then on it's been broken for most.

Good for you but I said most not all users and this is a driver issue as I've just stated in the above post. If it works with one driver and then not another then it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that’s a driver issue especially when it works perfectly in vista and with all previous nvidia cards i've used with the exact same monitor.

DJB
07-01-07, 08:08 PM
Rather than have this decend into a flame war, I am going to ignore your tone, and sign out of this thread, genius.

DJB

Shocky
07-02-07, 05:39 AM
Rather than have this decend into a flame war, I am going to ignore your tone, and sign out of this thread, genius.

DJB

Thats pretty much the best thing you can do right now.. Next time try reading my posts instead of trying to be funny.

FalcX
07-02-07, 06:00 AM
I was having the same issue when I tried some drivers for my new 8800 Ultra I just got...I am currently using 158.27 and the fixed aspect ratio still didnt keep, until I found this fix and so far it has been working great:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2064&p_created=1177972007

Shocky
07-02-07, 07:21 AM
I was having the same issue when I tried some drivers for my new 8800 Ultra I just got...I am currently using 158.27 and the fixed aspect ratio still didnt keep, until I found this fix and so far it has been working great:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2064&p_created=1177972007

Interesting, I'll give that a try later... Thanks for the link. :)

EDIT: Thanks, that works, all scalling options are now working in XP.. :D

zarlaan
07-03-07, 04:58 AM
I've never had any problems with scaling with my Samsung 970P and BFG 8800GTS OC. Dosen't matter what driver i'm using scaling has always been spot on in both XP and Vista.

LordJuanlo
07-03-07, 07:44 AM
Flat panel scaling has always worked for me in XP. I have 162.15 right now and it works, I get my black bars when I play in 4:3 resolutions

Amuro
07-03-07, 10:46 AM
Flat panel scaling has always worked for me in XP. I have 162.15 right now and it works, I get my black bars when I play in 4:3 resolutions
It does not for me. I need to use the turning off monitor during bootup trick.

YTDamnit
07-03-07, 10:59 AM

Excellent find! This works for me (after a reboot).
Thank you so very much for posting this!!

-YT

Draver
07-03-07, 06:17 PM
Thx for the link, it also worked for me!

SLippe
07-04-07, 11:38 AM
I've always used "Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" and never had any problems with it. Is that what you are referring to?

FalcX
07-04-07, 06:15 PM
I've always used "Use NVIDIA scaling with fixed-aspect ratio" and never had any problems with it. Is that what you are referring to?

yes, the option wouldnt stick when selected with the 162.15 or 158.27 drivers I used... my monitor is a BenQ24Wide and is set to 1:1. I never had any problems with my 7800gt with the fixed aspect setting staying but it wouldnt with the 8800 Ultra/drivers. This fix tho works.... not sure why some people it works and some not ???