PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-- 680i, XP, blank screen

6oclock_low
06-30-07, 03:25 PM
Hi new to forum. Couldn't find info with a simple search.

Problem- XP locks at blank screen and can't get to safe mode.

Is this a known problem or do you know a solution.

Details
=====
680i motherboard (number 3)
intel duo chip (number 2)
old ide drive
old sata drive
one video card, nvidia

xp installed on both drives

Naturally old data is on ide drive and can't access subfolders. {Security rights assume you can get to safe mode, and can't change or edit registry files}

All F8 boot options fail with a blank screen. Only way to access drive to use CD boot with windows and enter recovery console. Since I can't change security rights, I can't access subfolders.

Only way I can think of to recover data from old drive is to buy a new USB/1394 external drive, install XP on it and then access old drives.

Any better ideas?

buffbiff21
06-30-07, 07:16 PM
Well, my question is what are you doing with old IDE drives in the first place?

Just replace your old disks with a new SATA drive. You can always access the data if the older drives are hooked up as IDE-slave (given you can actually boot into Windows)

6oclock_low
07-01-07, 07:30 AM
So you're saying the blank screen is not a known problem.
Guess I'll have to get a new external drive today and see if that solves the problem.

BTW, I have assumed this is a mother board problem and not a video card problem, that may not be a fair assumption. I can't load the nvidia drivers, etc because I can't get to any GUI mode.

If IDE still works, why throw it away? It's just very very tricky with the 680i. Main IDE cable is for IDE drive and IDE CD player. IDE DVD is hooked to IDE PCI card. The other PCI slot is used for parallel port card. Hope I never need another PCI slot.

Well thank you for responding.

XDanger
07-01-07, 09:55 AM
If you are saying you have 2 drives with XP installed from a different motherboard/pc then it wont work because they weren't installed on that pc/motherboard.
If the above is the case Just put a small HDD in there for a NEW installation, dont bother with external drives.

But apart from that why dont you just put the xp disc in and REPAIR the installation keeping all files intact ??

6oclock_low
07-01-07, 01:11 PM
How do you repair the installation?
Without security options preset, default is to NOT have ability to browse all files and folders and back up key files. I backed it up before, but I missed some files and need to recover them. Else I would just install windows on that old IDE drive, [D], so then current C would be an old drive where I could pull the data off it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/EN-US/
Part one completed no problem. Part 2 goes blank screen and never comes up in safe mode.

External because also have a laptop and it's short on disk space, 60G.

6oclock_low
08-07-07, 10:47 AM
FYI. Repair failed. New install with reformatting disk failed. New HAL install worked, kind of.

Now having serious file corruption errors. Hard drive has been checked for bad sectors and seems ok. Need to download a RAM verification tool.

Anyone know of any good RAM testing utilities. I have PNY sticks and don't know if they are the problem. Suggestions would be welcome.

wollyka
08-08-07, 05:13 PM
you can use memtest86+, burn it on cd and boot from it, it will check your ram, i advice to leave it overnight..