PDA

View Full Version : USB

Mr Bigman
06-30-07, 10:59 PM
Im wondering if i run the usb ports form my dell monitor to a usb 2 port on the back on my pc, will i get usb2 out of my dell usb hub?

I would think so being powered form the monitor, but who knows?

breathemetal
06-30-07, 11:01 PM
So...

Monitor (non 2.0) to PC (2.0) = Monitor (2.0)?

That doesnt sound plausible to me, but idk, try it at see

jAkUp
06-30-07, 11:12 PM
It depends, try it out, Windows will let you know right away.

Chances are it will work at 2.0 speed.

einstein_314
06-30-07, 11:41 PM
The 2 ports on my Dell 2407 run at USB2.0 speeds...I say you should be fine.

Mr Bigman
07-01-07, 12:15 AM
I got the Dell 24 inch monitor with 4 ports 2 side 2 back and card reader.

I will give it a shot.

Mr Bigman
07-04-07, 07:29 PM
Hey, are the USB hubs powered on the Dell monitors? Just curious

DellCA
07-10-07, 04:10 PM
I’m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I just came across this thread. I knew that the hubs on most of our LCD's deliver some power but to see how much I just ran a little test on some of the ones around me. I took a desktop USB fan, which is really just an Antec case fan wrapped in an enclosure, off of a coworkers desk and tried it. Every LCD that I tried was giving enough power to run the fan and the LED's in it. I can't be totally sure if your model does but I tested quote a few from 17" to 30" and they all worked. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Neil
Dell, Inc.

lduguay
07-10-07, 04:28 PM
OK, ok mods, i'll be nice. How can you tell if it's powered or passthru?

SLippe
07-10-07, 05:08 PM
Aren't most USB connections powered? Or are you meaning hot? Like there is power to them even when the PC/Monitor is off? I know when I turn off my PC, my USB ports are not hot, as my G7 battery charger turns off then.

Mr Bigman
07-10-07, 05:24 PM
The big thing here is having my 24" Dell, the ones that came out last year, take advantage of the USB2 port off the back of my box. The reason im doing this is because the cords are too short to where my case is at and
I want full USB 2 out of the jacks off the monitor for things like web cam and usb storage device.

Ancient
07-10-07, 07:05 PM
I have a Dell LCD that's two years old and I get USB 2.0 through the USB ports on the monitor and I charge an iPod mini through it as well.

All I can say, Bigman, is to give it a shot. If it works (it should), you're golden. If not, get a longer USB extension cable, and a hub if you need more than one port available.

Mr Bigman
07-10-07, 08:33 PM
Looks good on my end. I thik it also has to do with what cables you are using also. A good heavy duty short USB cable allways helps.

ynnek
07-10-07, 09:32 PM
FWIW, 5 meters is usually cited the limit of cable length high speed USB 2.0, so I would never go beyond that.

Also for power, the longer the cable, the more of a power drop you'll have. (resistance of the wire)

If the LCD monitor hub doesn't work, there's newegg sells powered 4 port USB 2.0 hubs for like $10. I got a two Vantec branded ones right here. If you don't need the power, you don't need to plug in the AC adapter.