PDA

View Full Version : Game devs continue to favor the Xbox360

Pages : [1] 2

ENU291
07-02-07, 08:56 AM
I was on 1up.com and read THIS (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160709) article about significant differences that will be found on some up and coming Football titles for the Xbox 360 and PS3. I was wondering what you guys thought about this. I personally feel that at this point for multi platform titles game developers should try to put in that extra effort to deliver the same gaming experience across the board. I do understand that the expense of developing for these so called "Next-Gen" consoles prohibits companies from allotting enough man power to properly utilize every consoles strong points but at the end many console owners (in this case PS3 owners) are going to feel disappointed by the end result.

SeriTonin
07-02-07, 09:37 AM
1. I await the ps3 fanboys to bash this thread

2. No one held a gun to anyone's head and forced them to buy a ps3, 360 was considered the better platform to develop on since ps3 debuted, if people want to ignore that and ASSUME things will turn around in sonys favor, that's on them. The same way people like me stick with 360 and ASSUME things will stay the way they are, that's a risk I take.

3. Buy a decent PC and your console worries are over. ;) (not you personally, just in general, get a good pc and the worries go away)

|MaguS|
07-02-07, 09:42 AM
1. I await the ps3 fanboys to bash this thread

2. No one held a gun to anyone's head and forced them to buy a ps3, 360 was considered the better platform to develop on since ps3 debuted, if people want to ignore that and ASSUME things will turn around in sonys favor, that's on them. The same way people like me stick with 360 and ASSUME things will stay the way they are, that's a risk I take.

3. Buy a decent PC and your console worries are over. ;) (not you personally, just in general, get a good pc and the worries go away)

Agreed

Developers will always favor the X360 when developing multiplatform games, even Sony knows this. Thats why Harrison came out and said not to judge the console purely on its multiplatform titles but titles aimed at the PS3 during their development.

X360 is easier to develope for aswell as has a larger market share... What X360 fans and PS3 fans have to worry about is if the Wii becomes the primary console, then we both get shafted when it comes to graphics.

Namrok
07-02-07, 10:09 AM
Agreed

Developers will always favor the X360 when developing multiplatform games, even Sony knows this. Thats why Harrison came out and said not to judge the console purely on its multiplatform titles but titles aimed at the PS3 during their development.

X360 is easier to develope for aswell as has a larger market share... What X360 fans and PS3 fans have to worry about is if the Wii becomes the primary console, then we both get shafted when it comes to graphics.

I wouldn't really be worried about the Wii dragging down graphics for everyone. I think the Wii is going to get mostly exclusives. I mean lets face it, developers can shoehorn multiplatform games onto the Wii, but they won't sell as well, or be as cheap to develop as exclusives for the Wii that really use it.

toxikneedle
07-02-07, 10:18 AM
I wouldn't really be worried about the Wii dragging down graphics for everyone. I think the Wii is going to get mostly exclusives. I mean lets face it, developers can shoehorn multiplatform games onto the Wii, but they won't sell as well, or be as cheap to develop as exclusives for the Wii that really use it.
Yeah, especially since companies like Ubi and EA, all opened up seperate Wii divisions for their games. The PC/360/PS3 version are still developed by the same team though.

Marvel_us
07-02-07, 10:36 AM
Eh, I was never one to judge the console off of multiplatform games. This is the same thing that happened last generation where PS2 multiplatform games looked better than Xbox games. I think it will come down to Sony's first and second party to show gamers why they should buy a PS3 for games. From what they've shown recently I feel they are headed in the right direction to accomplish that.

Saintster
07-02-07, 12:32 PM
I still think the only thing the Xbox has a problem with is reliability. I had one die just recently and I'm going to switch to the ps3 until MS goes to the 65nm cpu I just don't feel safe with another one going oput after a year or sooner in some cases.

ENU291
07-02-07, 01:44 PM
Xbox 360 hardware reliability truly is a nagging problem. From what I've read it seems that insufficient cooling for the GPU is the main culprit these days. The GPU gets so hot that it actually warps the PCB which in turn causes solder points to break. Going to a 65nm CPU will help general cooling but MS needs to concentrate on increasing the cooling on the GPU as well.

Note: It seems that MS is already trying to address the issue with the GPU by adding additonal heat pipes and heat sinks to the GPU area.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/06/14/microsoft_adds_heatsink_the_360/1

Subtestube
07-02-07, 03:15 PM
Xbox 360 hardware reliability truly is a nagging problem. From what I've read it seems that insufficient cooling for the GPU is the main culprit these days. The GPU gets so hot that it actually warps the PCB which in turn causes solder points to break. Going to a 65nm CPU will help general cooling but MS needs to concentrate on increasing the cooling on the GPU as well.

Note: It seems that MS is already trying to address the issue with the GPU by adding additonal heat pipes and heat sinks to the GPU area.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/06/14/microsoft_adds_heatsink_the_360/1

The CPU could already be produced on the 65nm node. AFAIK, the only reason we haven't seen the die shrink yet is that they're waiting until Aug/Sept, when the GPU can be produced at 65nm, and just move both chips over at once. Can't recall where I read that though.

muaddib
07-02-07, 07:47 PM
Eh, I was never one to judge the console off of multiplatform games. This is the same thing that happened last generation where PS2 multiplatform games looked better than Xbox games. I think it will come down to Sony's first and second party to show gamers why they should buy a PS3 for games. From what they've shown recently I feel they are headed in the right direction to accomplish that.

I beg to differ. I have owned both XBOX and PS2, and, at many occasions, I have rented each console version for specific, multi-platform AAA titles, and vast majority of the cases, the XBOX looked and sounded much much better. These would include PsiOps, SoulCalibur2, MoH: Frontline, Freedom Fighters, Hitman 2, PoP: Sands of Time, (Genma) Onimusha, Sega Soccer Slam, James Bond 007 Every Thing or Nothing and many many more [Besides, the PS2 wasn't even close to be able to produce games like Far Cry Instincts]. Ultimately though, the PS2 had a huge library of games (the best library to date, IMO) of original, quality exclusive games, some I guess it would be the superior machine after all (and the controller was better, IMO).

Marvel_us
07-02-07, 08:21 PM
I remember it being different in the early cycle. Like when MGS was ported to Xbox it had some slowdown that wasn't present in the PS2 version. Eventually devs started showing the difference between the two systems but it didn't show in the first year of the console's life.

|MaguS|
07-02-07, 08:23 PM
Then again some PS2 titles rivaled the best Xbox titles in graphics. ;)

Amuro
07-02-07, 09:05 PM
Football games? You mean American football, right? Honestly I don't care about such games. Winning Eleven 2008 is all that I care.

Ninja Prime
07-02-07, 09:06 PM
Then again some PS2 titles rivaled the best Xbox titles in graphics. ;)

Yeah, after you hit that 2" diameter blunt from cheech and chong perhaps.

Ninja Prime
07-02-07, 09:07 PM
Football games? You mean American football, right? Honestly I don't care about such games. Winning Eleven 2008 is PS3 exclusive and that is all I care.

Soccer is for leg shaving sissies who kick each other in the balls.

|MaguS|
07-02-07, 09:13 PM
Yeah, after you hit that 2" diameter blunt from cheech and chong perhaps.

Tekken 5 on the PS2 looks better then any fighting game on the Xbox and then you got Ace Combat 5 and GT4.

Amuro
07-02-07, 09:17 PM
Soccer is for leg shaving sissies who kick each other in the balls.
Keep telling that to yourself then. Soccer is the real football. It's the most popular team sport of the world for a reason. Americans don't like the it because they don't have a champion team.

Ninja Prime
07-02-07, 09:31 PM
Keep telling that to yourself then. Soccer is the real football. It's the most popular team sport of the world for a reason. Americans don't like the it because they don't have a champion team.

Americans don't like it because leg shaving and nut-kicking are inherently gay.

|MaguS|
07-02-07, 09:34 PM

Thats not the truth... Womens Team won the world cup and right after we shut down their league here... American's don't like it because a guy isn't getting hurt every match or because they don't wear padding...

Amuro
07-02-07, 09:45 PM
Women's soccer is different. It's a fairly new sport. Amercian women's team won the first women's world cup, and China was second. And the only reason why that was the case was because other countries had a slow start. Anyways, Americans love champions, and if you have a men's team that can dominate in the world, there's no reason why soccer wouldn't become more popular.

Ninja Prime
07-02-07, 09:49 PM
Tekken 5 on the PS2 looks better then any fighting game on the Xbox and then you got Ace Combat 5 and GT4.

Tekken suffered from aliasing. DoA3 and DoA:U both looked better.

PGR2 is on par with GT4, maybe a slight nod to GT4, but then it usually gets brownie points for the fanboi factor.

Ace Combat 5 has low rez textures up close, though theres really nothing on x-box to compare it to.

Ninja Prime
07-02-07, 09:50 PM
Thats not the truth... Womens Team won the world cup and right after we shut down their league here... American's don't like it because a guy isn't getting hurt every match or because they don't wear padding...

Yeah thats it, it has nothing to do with leg shaving or nut kicking. Wrong.

|MaguS|
07-02-07, 09:55 PM
Tekken suffered from aliasing. DoA3 and DoA:U both looked better.

PGR2 is on par with GT4, maybe a slight nod to GT4, but then it usually gets brownie points for the fanboi factor.

Ace Combat 5 has low rez textures up close, though theres really nothing on x-box to compare it to.

Air Force Delta on the Xbox? It's a Fighter Plane game... was ass but it was still one.

Tekken 5 even with its AA issue (which weren't that bad) still looked far better then the DOAs which its characters looked like barbie dolls and the world was just lack luster. Art and Direction help far more then having perfect lines... Graphics isn't just about resolution but detail aswell.

Ninja Prime
07-02-07, 10:03 PM
Air Force Delta on the Xbox? It's a Fighter Plane game... was ass but it was still one.

Tekken 5 even with its AA issue (which weren't that bad) still looked far better then the DOAs which its characters looked like barbie dolls and the world was just lack luster. Art and Direction help far more then having perfect lines... Graphics isn't just about resolution but detail aswell.

Depends on who you ask. Technically, DOAs graphics are better, while one could argue Tekken has the better art direction, that is subjective. Theres no denying DOA is better from a technology standpoint.

|MaguS|
07-02-07, 10:06 PM
Depends on who you ask. Technically, DOAs graphics are better, while one could argue Tekken has the better art direction, that is subjective. Theres no denying DOA is better from a technology standpoint.

On a technical level of course its better but I don't think that equates it to looking better on the graphics department. Doom 3 on a technical level is better then Half-Life 2 but I think Half-Life 2 looks far better then Doom 3...