PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia reportedly working on drivers to boost DX 10 performance 25% in Lost Planet:

Pages : [1] 2

3DBrad
07-03-07, 01:18 AM
This is to all the complainers out there who have written off Lost Planet as a "lousy port." :p

http://www.thattechsite.com/main/?p=128
To my knowledge, yes John, but again, no one even in our office has seen it properly yet because the drivers are still catching up and the team is still making adjustments to the final product.

Iíve learned ATI has significantly improved performance and feature support (and the team is talking to ATI about some shader issues the game has with ATI atm). On Friday I learned that Nvidia has a forthcoming driver update that will boost performance, particuarly for DX10, by approximately another 25% beyond the current driver.

In short, as the first real, from the ground up DX10 game on the market, thereís bound to be some learning for everyone, including the chip guys. :)

Whatís scaring me is how many people in the Steam survey are still running drivers from like two years ago. Seriously people, update your drivers :)
http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showpost.php?p=246329&postcount=10

Zenoth
07-03-07, 01:22 AM
Nice.

t3hl33td4rg0n
07-03-07, 01:26 AM
Whatís scaring me is how many people in the Steam survey are still running drivers from like two years ago. Seriously people, update your drivers

Gee I wonder why? I'm running 93.81 b/c everything after that is loaded with problems, bugs, and frustration.

3DBrad
07-03-07, 02:52 AM
Gee I wonder why? I'm running 93.81 b/c everything after that is loaded with problems, bugs, and frustration.

162.15, and running fine. :p

LordJuanlo
07-03-07, 03:28 AM
Excellent news! Hope it's true and they are released fast, my boxed copy should arrive today (nana2)

MUYA
07-03-07, 03:47 AM
He has pre G80 generation cards and sicne the launch of G80s, the drivers development has been complicated because even though drivers are somewhat cater for all NV cards post NV40. The architectural changes impoised by a unified shader approach may have caused some "unpredicatblilty or incompabilities" for older generation cards which were not unified.

For my G80...everything is hunky dory with 165.01 - drivers downloaded from 3Dguru.com :D

Revs
07-03-07, 04:13 AM
For my G80...everything is hunky dory with 165.01 - drivers downloaded from 3Dguru.com :D

Same here with the 165.15 drivers. I'm wondering is this 25% performance increase over the 165.15 drivers which were pulled or are the drivers they are speaking of the 'finished' 165.15's.

If it is a newer version than these, I can't wait. Because these have already increased my performance in DX10 and by a massive ammount in DX9 in Vista! 6X the peformance in FEAR. Finally Vista is a realistic option for DX9 gaming, and about time!

Shocky
07-03-07, 06:30 AM
I'd rather they didn't focus on a single game and worked on general performance. :o

Revs
07-03-07, 06:40 AM
I'd rather they didn't focus on a single game and worked on general performance. :o

Yes, but as seen as LP is just about the only DX10 game out now that's the game they're gonna be sorting. Besides, as I said, DX9 has improved HUUUUGELY!

CaptNKILL
07-03-07, 07:27 AM
I haven't played Lost Planet, but from what I heard about the performance of the demo, this "25%" will equate to about 5fps average. :p

Eliminator
07-03-07, 08:15 AM
AMEN... 93.81 FTW!!... those are the final decent drivers for 7 series... 162.15 is a joke for anything other than 8 series

Shocky
07-03-07, 08:19 AM
Yes, but as seen as LP is just about the only DX10 game out now that's the game they're gonna be sorting. Besides, as I said, DX9 has improved HUUUUGELY!

DX9 performance in games is pretty much the same as the launch drivers in XP just minus the bugs.

Revs
07-03-07, 08:39 AM
True. They sure have taken there time. I read somewhere the nVidia admitted they'd 'dropped the ball' a few months back, hence the delay.

Saying that, they have got to run on tons of different cards, single or SLI, DX9 and DX10 and 2 different OS's. That sounds like alot or work to me. I wonder how many man-hours it takes to develope a driver like this. I bet it'll be into the thousands.

8800gtsfan
07-03-07, 08:50 AM
So they pull 165.15 and now are putting in some huge performance increase? C'mon and I've got some swapland I'll sell nvidia. At this point I'd have to wait and see it to believe it. Besides 25% of 20 fps is not enough to excite me.

and for the 1,000,000,000 time... if you are running less than an 8800 the newest drivers aren't really the best for you... God im so tired of people with old cards complaining - upgrade already...

shoes
07-03-07, 03:14 PM
AMEN... 93.81 FTW!!... those are the final decent drivers for 7 series... 162.15 is a joke for anything other than 8 series

I'm running 158.27's flawlessly on a 7950GT 512

nekrosoft13
07-03-07, 03:33 PM
I haven't played Lost Planet, but from what I heard about the performance of the demo, this "25%" will equate to about 5fps average. :p

really poor joke capt

3DBrad
07-03-07, 03:36 PM
On a lot of maps I get 50-60fps, so another 25% would put me well over the 60hz refresh rate of my LCD. I do have a big ol' 21" CRT that'll do 100hz or more at 1600x1200, however, CRTs often give me headaches now, LCDs have spoiled me.

Now, if I could only afford one of those 120hz LCD monitors. :captnkill:

t3hl33td4rg0n
07-04-07, 02:43 AM

I was using 84.66 for a very long time b/c they were rock solid and preformed well. Unfortunately, I had problems with games stuttering (that feeling like you don't have enough RAM), so its a trade-off. I bit the bullet and upgraded to the 90 series for smoother gameplay, but the driver still has other issues, the most annoying being overclocking the TV-out stretching problems. Other than that they do work very well, and the stuttering is gone.

JasonPC
07-04-07, 11:57 AM
These are the 162.15 drivers he's talking about. So it's unlikely there will be huge performance gains once that gets re-released.

SLippe
07-04-07, 12:34 PM
Lost planet runs great now that I've updated my drivers to 160.03. I'm speaking of the demo. Played all the way thru with no problems. I'll probably pick this game up. Also, DiRT ran better too, but does slow way down with a bunch of other cars on screen. Hell, I can't play it anyways due to the keyboard steering sucks and I'm not going to buy a damn XBox 360 controller just for this game. Ah well. I look for to the new drivers when they are re-released.

XxDeadlyxX
07-04-07, 08:31 PM
Lost planet runs great now that I've updated my drivers to 160.03. I'm speaking of the demo. Played all the way thru with no problems. I'll probably pick this game up. Also, DiRT ran better too, but does slow way down with a bunch of other cars on screen. Hell, I can't play it anyways due to the keyboard steering sucks and I'm not going to buy a damn XBox 360 controller just for this game. Ah well. I look for to the new drivers when they are re-released.

Yeah this is possibly the first PC game I've played where it feels exactly like playing it on the 360 using the XFPS mouse/keyboard adapter. Well, maybe not that bad but kinda similar :D

Even so, doesn't bother me that much :)

3DBrad
07-04-07, 08:42 PM
These are the 162.15 drivers he's talking about. So it's unlikely there will be huge performance gains once that gets re-released.

Nope, as he's already recommended those drivers to several who were having problems, as well as mentioning forthcoming DX10 stuff.

XxDeadlyxX
07-04-07, 08:48 PM
Hmmmm... hopefully the fixed Vista/XP driver comes along soon. There are two things which would be nice to have fixed:

1) Vsync forced ON working in all games (broken with this driver somewhat on some games)
2) DV sticking regardless of resolution or if the app is DX10.

Other than that 162.15 is a great driver, performance is by far the best in Vista yet :captnkill:

So glad that Vista is no longer collecting dust in my cupboard :D

3DBrad
07-04-07, 08:51 PM
Yeah, I have had issues with Vsync not sticking in UT2004 with several drivers in Vista.

While most my family was over today, I hooked my PC up to our 52" HDTV and played a few of the boss-battles of Lost Planet on it. I fought "Green Eye" and the spider in level 9, and they were loving it (well, my brother-in-law and my nephew were watching).

I then showed my nieces and nephews the froggy Nvidia tech demo (where you can pull the skin of the frog, and the frog acts up now and then, etc.) and they were laughing almost constantly at the frog. :D

Happy Independence day everyone. :)

SH0DAN
07-04-07, 10:11 PM

Same here with my GTS 640 as well as my wifes 7800GT