PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a New Laptop!

Buenamos
07-03-07, 04:43 PM
Hey guys, decided that a laptop would help out a lot in school since I've been doing so much 3d modeling lately and since Dell recently announced the new inspirons along with online coupons - I couldn't pass up the deal.

Anyways, for $1550 including my carrying case I got the laptop with the specs below. Plus I got $350 off coupon and free shipping making it a total $1230+tax= $1320. Not a bad deal if I say so myself.

Inspiron 1520
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7300 (2.0GHz/800Mhz FSB/4MB cache)
Genuine Windows ® Vista Home Basic Edition
System Color Spring Green
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
LCD Panel - Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch display (1280x800)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8600M GT
80GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Operating System Genuine Windows ® Vista Home Basic Edition
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
CD / DVD writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)
High Definition Audio 2.0
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)

What do you guys think? I read up on santa rosa and thought the wireless N card was interesting. Anyone have any experience with it?

1337_Like_ThaT
07-03-07, 05:35 PM
Wow, for having 8600 go graphics and core 2 duo 2.0GHz, that is a really sweet deal. Dont have any experience with wireless N cards but wouldn't you have to build a whole wireless network around that including the router to support N? Hope you enjoy your new toy :)

Buenamos
07-03-07, 05:42 PM
Wow, for having 8600 go graphics and core 2 duo 2.0GHz, that is a really sweet deal. Dont have any experience with wireless N cards but wouldn't you have to build a whole wireless network around that including the router to support N? Hope you enjoy your new toy :)

Yeah, I'm sure it'll have enough horsepower for my needs. The core 2 duo will pretty much be a step up from my desktop cpu which will be a nice transition. I wanted to make sure I had enough GPU horsepower to run games at decent settings, no need to go all out especially when the lcd is only 1280x800. I made sure it was the GT version as well because it's supposed to be quite a bit faster than the GS but not quite on par with a 8700gt. I have read that the 8700gt is basically a higher clocked 8600gt but I've never overclocked anything on a laptop before and am concerned about heat. There's no easy fix for a laptop when it comes to a situation like that...

As far as the wireless N, it's compatible with older routers but to take advantage of the speed boost then yes, I will need a N router. I figured I may pick one up for our apartment since ours is pretty outdated and figured I may as well future-proof myself.

The only real thing it's lacking is HDD space but 80gb should be fine for the files I want to keep portable. I have dual 320s and an extra 160 on here which holds all my media although I'm gonna have to get some more HDD space in this thing soon too.

grey_1
07-03-07, 06:01 PM
Nice looking deal you got there. I just got a Dell Latitude D620 from my work, got the usual bells and whistles, nothing fancy. C2D though with *hides face* integrated graphics. :p

Gets the job done. Enjoy yours, looks sweet.

ENU291
07-03-07, 07:06 PM
That is an awesome price for that kind of hardware. Congrats man! :thumbsup:

Madpistol
07-03-07, 07:17 PM
Wow. $1500 for a decent gaming laptop.

Looks like a pretty sweet snag. Good job. ;)