PDA

View Full Version : Question about sound cards

Ambrose
07-04-07, 06:25 PM
So, I'm looking to purchase a new system. The mobo I had in mind is the following:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813188019

My question is, is the integrated sound card that this mobo comes with likely to be good? I haven't bought a PC in 3 years, so I'm still use to having to buy a separate sound card (I think my last one was an Audigy 2). I think it's cool that they've incorporated both sound card and ethernet card into the mobo, but I just want to make sure that the sound quality I get is decent with an integrated card.

Libertysyclone
07-04-07, 06:30 PM
That is the same board I use. I love my on board sound. I would only buy a seperate sound card if Realtek made one. They have IMO they best software/driver support.

A discrete sound card will take some load off the CPU and help out your FPS though.

Bottom line, put the money towards more RAM/CPU/GPU.

Ambrose
07-04-07, 06:46 PM
Hey thanks for the quick replay Liberty!

Good to know that you like the onboard sound. I think i'll just go with that then. By the way, you have the exact same system that I was looking to get :P

Libertysyclone
07-04-07, 06:58 PM
You're welcome.

I have been very happy with my system with the exception of the OC'ing ability of the 680i with the C2D chips. Its still good just not great. If you dont plan on SLI I would take a hard look at the P5K and the Gigabyte P35-ds3 boards.

crainger
07-04-07, 07:14 PM
Onboard sound will be fine these days. With Vista's sound still up in the air at the moment AND X-Fi2 coming I agree Liberty, go onboard. For now.

Although, if you want DirectSound Hardware support for old games, Creative has the Alchemy project, which wraps DirectSound3D through OpenAL. I've founds it's pretty handy. Though DirectSound via software on a decent CPU is just as good.

rabblerouser
07-04-07, 10:35 PM
I have an Asus P5K motherboard. I've been disappointed in the sound quality compared to my Audigy 2 in my other PC. It's nowhere near as good. And the audio on the P5K is supposed to be amongst the best for onboard sound.

stncttr908
07-05-07, 08:52 AM
Well if you can get an Audigy 2 for cheap you can get ALChemy Audigy edition from Creative for $10, which is sort of a rip off but can hold you over until next-gen cards arrive.

After Soundstorm was axed I'll probably always go with a dedicated audio card. I just prefer the sound quality and increase in performance.

nekrosoft13
07-05-07, 09:25 AM
Well if you can get an Audigy 2 for cheap you can get ALChemy Audigy edition from Creative for $10, which is sort of a rip off but can hold you over until next-gen cards arrive.

After Soundstorm was axed I'll probably always go with a dedicated audio card. I just prefer the sound quality and increase in performance.

i wouldn't call it a rip-off. people should be happy that its even possible.

Audigy 2 is what? 4+ years old now? If i remember correctly Audigy 2 didn't even initially support OpenAL

I'm personally waiting for new Auzentech Prelude, which will combine X-fi strenght with superior Audio Quality. If everythigns goes good this will be one monster card.

you will get OpenAL, EAX 5 (maybe higher) with Dolby etc..

That new Asus card so far looks like an disapoitment so far.

mullet
07-05-07, 12:14 PM

Now I have no idea of what there talking about cause I use on board sound so you be the judge.

I found this from dailytech, for free.
After some investigation, we have discovered that you do not actually need to buy ALchemy Audigy Edition to restore functions under Windows Vista and the Audigy/Live! Series. You can just download ALchemy for Sound Blaster X-Fi (it’s available for free) and manually copy dsound.dll and dsound.ini to a supported title. Then edit the dsound.ini file until it works. More information about this procedure is available here, or you can download the predefined version.
http://www.ngohq.com/news/11368-creative-sells-alchemy-audigy-edition-9-99-a.html

OR

>>>Use it at your own risk. <<< - Patched by Daniel Kawakami

COPYRIGHT NOTICE: ALchemy and its related files are property of Creative Labs, Inc.

In response to ungrateful behavior of Creative, I decided to release a patched ALchemy for all models of Live! and Audigy soundcards.

It was ready since its release in last March. I was just waiting the proper moment, when Creative would make a stupid move.

A simple check for EAX5 was removed to enable Audigy support as well as a check for EAX4, to enable support for Live! cards.

Some notes:

* DirectSound3D may not work properly on Live! cards, while DS3D+EAX seem to work just fine.
* DirectSound2D is a bonus for all cards, because is bypass the Audiodg service on Windows Vista, so no more memory/CPU cycles wasted. Just use ALchemy with your favorite player (VLC and Mplayer Classic does not work properly, while foobar does).
* When using ALchemy, EAX effects tab will be disabled on AudioConsole, just like on X-Fi, on Live! it works, though.
* Your soundcard is detected as X-Fi when ALchemy is used with Everest, Sandra or RightMark 3DSound, that is just a cosmetic issue.
* Make sure you have the latest Creative drivers for Windows Vista installed.

Copy dsound.dll and dsound.ini to game folder or use ALchemy.exe to do so, if your game is officially supported.

The just released version 1.00.04 cannot be modified because it is protected with Macrovision's Safecast highly secure software protecton system, but I suspect it is just the same as this version with protection added. Do not ask for it, unless you can provide me with a properly unprotected copy of dsound.dll.

http://braziliantech.googlepages.com/Creative_ALchemy_1.00.03.rar

jolle
07-05-07, 12:51 PM
For what its worth, after years of using integrated sound Im really happy with my X-Fi Extreme music.
The surround emulation works really well on headphones (CMSS3D), sound quality is nice and games using the added features like Quake IV sounds really good.

j0j081
07-06-07, 06:59 AM
interesting about alchemy. didn't even realize it was out for the audigy series already.