PDA

View Full Version : Vista Ultimate OEM Question

Ambrose
07-04-07, 08:43 PM
Ok, so I am getting a new computer and I am considering installing Vista Ultimate on it. I would like to get the OEM edition since it's significantly cheaper but I have a pretty important question.

Here it is: if I make a hardware change to my computer (like replacing the video card or adding memory) is there ANY chance that my license key will quit working and I will have to call Microsoft to get a new one?

I know you shouldn't believe everything you read, but this guy on Newegg says that he changed some hardware under Vista and his key ended up becoming invalid and he had to request a new one from Microsoft.

Now I did my reading and I know you may have to re-activate the OS if you change something major (like replace a motherboard) but I just want to confirm that the OEM version is just as stable with regard to activation and whatnot as the retail version?

Sazar
07-05-07, 12:02 AM
No, you will most likely have to re-install the o/s though.

I haven't been able to make any major change to my rig (other than swapping out a video card) w/o the whole setup acting up. I guess it's a security feature.

I haven't had to call and re-activate or anything and I have installed my copy probably about 4 times now.

I will probably make it 5 if I bite on that QX6600 deal @ fry's :)

Rytr
07-05-07, 01:17 AM
Once you activate it with the motherboard it will not transfer to another motherboard. I have changed cards, cpus, drives, etc. with no problem.

MUYA
07-05-07, 01:18 AM
Once you activate it with the motherboard it will not transfer to another motherboard. I have changed cards, cpus, drives, etc. with no problem.
That's kinda poopy! So a major upgrade...u have buy another OEM version of Vista?

Rytr
07-05-07, 01:23 AM
Yep, that's what they told me. I asked if I could buy a key and they said no. Not at this time, not for an OEM.

SemperFi
07-05-07, 01:51 AM
I've changed all my components. All you have to do is call them and tell them you are installing it on 1 hard drive and only 1 drive and they will give you the activation code.

radekhulan
07-05-07, 08:29 AM
The WPA system checks ten categories of hardware:

* Display Adapter
* SCSI Adapter
* IDE Adapter (effectively the motherboard)
* Network Adapter (NIC) and its MAC Address
* RAM Amount Range (i.e., 0-64mb, 64-128mb, etc.)
* Processor Type
* Processor Serial Number
* Hard Drive Device
* Hard Drive Volume Serial Number (VSN)
* CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

WPA asks for ‘votes’ from each of these ten categories: ‘Is the same device still around, or has there never been one?’ Seven Yes votes means all is well — and a NIC, present originally and not changed, counts for three yes votes! Minor cards, like sound cards, don’t come into the mix at all. If you keep the motherboard, with the same amount of RAM and processor, and an always present cheap NIC (available for $10 or less), you can change everything else as much as you like.

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.php

Rytr
07-05-07, 09:03 AM
There definitely is a limitation on what you can do. Like I said, I ran into it with the motherboard. I did do a lot of changing with the same OEM install though. I used three deferent e6600 processors, ram (PC8500 Mushkin, PC6400 Patriot, PC6400 G.Skill all 2GB), various HDD setups (Raid 0 w/ WD Raptors, WD250, WD350, 300GB Seagate), 4-5 DVDs, 3-4 PSUs, but the Asus P5N-E would not transfer to the MSI P6N or the Ultra motherboard. I had to install a new purchased Vista.
I quit running the P5N-E back in April.
Almost 3 months later I pulled the P5N-E off the shelf put in a new e6600, ram, HDDs, PSU, etc. and fired it up with the original Vista OS and it is running in my sig with no questions asked.

nekrosoft13
07-05-07, 12:31 PM

bull****

i went from 4400+/Asus A8N-SLI to e6600/680i on OEM vista, and it worked just fine. Installed called MS, spoke to someone that didn't speak English and bam i'm activated.

Rytr
07-05-07, 02:30 PM
Good for you, You were able to transfer an OEM copy. They told me no dice.

nekrosoft13
07-05-07, 02:33 PM
wow, you are a mod? how come you are never around :|

I would call them again.

JasonPC
07-05-07, 04:14 PM
I would just recommend to pay the extra amount to get the Retail Upgrade Version of Vista. You can almost treat it as the full version because there is a fairly easy workaround to get it to activate. The 64-bit version upgrade is basically a full installation disk as well because you cannot upgrade 32-bit windows to 64-bit so it allows a clean install and activates just fine. I'm not sure if you need XP already installed for it to allow this, so it is possible you will still have to go through the method below. Generally having XP installed first is a good idea anyway if you intend to dual boot (which is wise because there are compatibility issues).

With the 32-bit version, you need to install Vista without putting the key in (when you install without a key you must select the proper version of Vista to install, ie the one you bought. This treats it as a 30 day trial until you activate) and then "upgrade" to Vista when already booted in Vista. You can then put your key in, install, and activate. In essence you are installing it twice. And it takes over two times as long to do. But hey, you save like $100...

crainger
07-05-07, 09:23 PM
bull****

i went from 4400+/Asus A8N-SLI to e6600/680i on OEM vista, and it worked just fine. Installed called MS, spoke to someone that didn't speak English and bam i'm activated.

I've never had an issue either. The key question they ask is "How many PCs is it installed on?"

On the whole I've found the outsourced MS Call Centres to actually be pretty pleasent to deal with. Not the best english, but very polite.

ViN86
07-09-07, 07:35 AM
k, so if im understanding this correctly, then it doesnt matter if i move Vista OEM over to another computer (mobo/cpu) as long as its only installed one ONE computer at a time, correct?

just, when i move over, ill have to call MS to get a new activation?

radekhulan
07-09-07, 03:44 PM
k, so if im understanding this correctly, then it doesnt matter if i move Vista OEM over to another computer (mobo/cpu) as long as its only installed one ONE computer at a time, correct?

just, when i move over, ill have to call MS to get a new activation?

Most definitely NOT correct. Vista OEM licence is only valid for the PC it was purchased with, or first installed on. That is theory. In practise, Microsoft allows you to phone reactivate the license on another PC, but it is their good will only, license does not state they have to do this.

ViN86
07-09-07, 03:54 PM
Most definitely NOT correct. Vista OEM licence is only valid for the PC it was purchased with, or first installed on. That is theory. In practise, Microsoft allows you to phone reactivate the license on another PC, but it is their good will only, license does not state they have to do this.
oh ok. so they let ppl reactivate just to be nice. but in actuality, there is no requirement for them to do so.

radekhulan
07-09-07, 04:10 PM
Yes, OEM license CANNOT be legally transfered from one PC to another. Even if you call Microsoft and they reactivate your Windows, *YOU* are liable for breaking license terms, and your Windows installation is NOT legal.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines.

ViN86
07-09-07, 05:40 PM
Yes, OEM license CANNOT be legally transfered from one PC to another. Even if you call Microsoft and they reactivate your Windows, *YOU* are liable for breaking license terms, and your Windows installation is NOT legal.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines.
thats lame.

i dont want to pay $400 for Ultimate retail :mad:

JasonPC
07-09-07, 09:32 PM
You can find the upgrade version of Ultimate on newegg for $230. The OEM full install disk is around $200. $30 more for a product key you can keep that is not tied to a single computer forever is worth it in my opinion.

1) Have XP installed and upgrade or custom install Vista to another partition

or with no OS installed

1) Boot off the DVD and install without putting the key in

2) When installed run the DVD autorun and then upgrade. You may then put your key in. It will reinstall the operating system, but it will basically be a clean install. Yes it does involve installing it twice, but it works :D

In my experience the 64-bit version doesn't even require much of anything and you can boot off the disk and do a full install even when you put the key in.

ViN86
07-09-07, 10:28 PM
You can find the upgrade version of Ultimate on newegg for $230. The OEM full install disk is around $200. $30 more for a product key you can keep that is not tied to a single computer forever is worth it in my opinion.

1) Have XP installed and upgrade or custom install Vista to another partition

or with no OS installed

1) Boot off the DVD and install without putting the key in

2) When installed run the DVD autorun and then upgrade. You may then put your key in. It will reinstall the operating system, but it will basically be a clean install. Yes it does involve installing it twice, but it works :D

In my experience the 64-bit version doesn't even require much of anything and you can boot off the disk and do a full install even when you put the key in.
oh, didnt know about that, thx Jason :D
i dont plan on installing very much, i like to keep my OS running clean, so that should work fine.

im sure its still EULA infringement, but at least that would allow hassle free upgrades.

JasonPC
07-09-07, 10:57 PM
It's not really an infringement. It's just their oversight. I think it's done by design, but it just had some unintended consequences.