PDA

View Full Version : Vista and Good reasons why it's just not needed. Yet.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

flukester
07-05-07, 02:35 PM
I just caught this at Anand... http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3029

But DirectX 10 isn't an instant pass to huge performance and incredible effects.

Let's look at it like this: there are really three ways a game can come to support DirectX 10, and almost all games over the next few years will ship with a DX9 path as well.

Games which could absolutely only be done in DX10 won't hit for quite a while for a number of reasons. The majority of users will still be on DX9 platforms. It is logical to spend the most effort developing for the user base that will actually be paying for the games. Developers are certainly interested in taking advantage of DX10, but all games for the next couple of years will definitely have a DX9 path. It doesn't make sense to rewrite everything from the ground up if you don't have to.

In conversations with developers we've had thus far, we get the impression that straight ports of DX9 to DX10 won't be the norm either. After all, why would a developer want to spend extra time and effort developing, testing and debugging multiple code paths that do exactly the same thing? This fact, combined with the lack of performance in key DX10 features on current hardware, means it's very likely that the majority of DX10 titles coming out in the near term will only be slightly enhanced versions of what could have been done through DX9.

Very key statements. Vista as far as I'm concerned, is pointless. Don't be pressured by people to move to Vista.. really, other than a new GUI there is little to be achieved and all it will do is push you to upgrade your hardware for no reason. By time games truly take advantage of DX10, Microsoft has already claimed they will have a new OS in 2009. Again, why bother?

Redeemed
07-05-07, 02:40 PM
I just caught this at Anand... http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3029

Very key statements. Vista as far as I'm concerned, is pointless. Don't be pressured by people to move to Vista.. really, other than a new GUI there is little to be achieved and all it will do is push you to upgrade your hardware for no reason. By time games truly take advantage of DX10, Microsoft has already claimed they will have a new OS in 2009. Again, why bother?

Wow. You really are a tool.

How about the improved security features in Vista? How about the greater control over user accounts? How about the better management of system resources? How about the native support for more than two cores (or processors)?

I'll continue listing reasons, and can validate everything I claim. I've done it before- if I recall correctly it was for you as well- yet you ignored it. Typical.

PeterJensen
07-05-07, 02:43 PM
drop dead....plz

SwedX
07-05-07, 02:47 PM
The same moron who knows how well Crysis will sell and the bad network code bla bla..kevplas brother ?

Redeemed
07-05-07, 02:52 PM
The same moron who knows how well Crysis will sell and the bad network code bla bla..kevplas brother ?

I'm starting to think so. Or maybe his cousin.

DRen72
07-05-07, 02:54 PM
http://www.kennhoekstra.com/images/news/terrytate.jpg

flukester
07-05-07, 02:55 PM
Wow. You really are a tool.

How about the improved security features in Vista? How about the greater control over user accounts? How about the better management of system resources? How about the native support for more than two cores (or processors)?

Better than being an idiot and spreading misinformation huh? Improved security.. Pfff. Whatever. You are the tool, a very misinformed Tool.

Both links will get any dual core Intel or AMD cpu FULLY supported on XP as well, AMD offers a Dual Core optimizer. Where the F have you been bud?
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

Better control over user accounts. Wow, there's a necessity to move to Vista. :rolleyes: Yes, lets spend $300 so we can have better control on user accounts...Better management of system resources? oh really, and how many open running processes do you have after installing Vista.. now compare that to what XP has.. Better management of system resources comes from the user who has the brains to turn of stuff that's not needed. Oh and a brain drain for you Redeemed, Vista takes MORE MEMORY than XP ya clueless wonder. Now are we done with the name calling. Anyone can lower themselves to the age of 5 years old, though you seem to be a pro at it. If this is how you communicate to people, well then I guess I'll lower myself to your knee high level.

I'll continue listing reasons, and can validate everything I claim. I've done it before- if I recall correctly it was for you as well- yet you ignored it. Typical.

Feel free bud, you've stated nothing useful other than the fact your an immature prick who obviously is very out of touch with lots of things. I ignored your previous statements because they were useless just as you've proven here again. Yet interestingly you still spew BS...Guess some people don't get it unless you draw em a picture huh?!? Get a clue Redeemed and take your attitude with it.

flukester
07-05-07, 03:31 PM

Ya because I know 3 people who are legit QA testers as well as others that have played the beta and their feedback/impressions. Duh! :headexplode: Ya that's right, I am in touch and you are too, but it's just your thumb up your arse.

evilghost
07-05-07, 03:37 PM
It's always funny to see the Windows users fighting amongst themselves, touting security in Microsoft products (XP and Vista) brings the LOLCOPTER close.

Riptide
07-05-07, 03:38 PM
(popcorn)

Redeemed
07-05-07, 04:02 PM
You know what fluke- I started typing this response, again listing a plethora of new features in Vista that isn't available in XP (with the exclusion of a few via third-party apps for XP)- then it occured to me:

Why not have you give me a list of what it is you do not like about Vista. What is it about Vista that is so horrible where as XP is superior? Let's start with security. List the ominous security breaches you claim Vista has that XP does not have.

Give examples (technical if you wouldn't mind) as to how Vista's memory and resource management is worse than XP's. And just saying "Vista uses more ram" doesn't count. Show us that the extra ram being utilised is bad. Show us that it is in-efficient usage of ram, instead of the os merely utilising the hardware available. Show us why it is bad that Vista actual takes advantage of available resources- then show us how it fails to efficient release those resources when the user runs an app that needs said resources (RAM, CPU/GPU clock cycles, etc). Get technical, break it down for all of us "noobs". This is my challenge to you. If you do this, and I cannot debunk the over-whelming majority of your (false, in my opinion) claims about Vista- then I'll retract every negative statement I've made about you, and I'll stop arguing against your position, and would instead suport it.

For the past several threads on this subject I have been the one to actual provide the proof for every claim I've made. Let's switch the table around here- now it is your turn. ;)

Redeemed
07-05-07, 04:06 PM
Ya because I know 3 people who are legit QA testers as well as others that have played the beta and their feedback/impressions. Duh! :headexplode: Ya that's right, I am in touch and you are too, but it's just your thumb up your arse.

Considering that I have merely referred to you as a tool, you are the one that keeps spewing the insults. Insecure maybe? Why is it that I said you are a tool, now you feel the need to hurl 50 insults per post at me?

Here's an idea, in your next post, instead of filling it with nothing more than insults and proof-less claims- step up to the challenge I mentioned in my previous post. ;)

jcrox
07-05-07, 04:18 PM
Well so far, we have 1 game to judge DX10 vs DX9 in and (at least for me) the DX10 performance is better. Especially when you start getting loads and loads of enemies on the screen. As for the visual effects.... yes this is just a guess... but Crysis will likely shut the doubters up immediately upon release, which is currently being stated as a whole 2 months away.

I for one don't see what the purpose of creating a post such as this is. Are you trying to single handedly push people away from Vista? You have some personal vendetta against MS? Or you just don't like Vista or MS for some reason so you're venting and attempting to pull a Borg and assimilate the rest of the world?

Currently the OS seems to be working great. As for Linux.... the average user has no where near the knowledge to use that OS on a regular basis much less would they have any idea as to how to even attempt to get a DX game running in it. Trying to stop people from moving to this OS is kinda like trying to stop the water in the Mississippi river from making it to the gulf of Mexico...you're going to have to turn the world upside down to do so. (Edit: and being as you can't do either, why complain about it?)

JasonPC
07-05-07, 04:26 PM
It seems people always tend to repeat the past when it comes to OS upgrades. There's the early adopters who love the new version and then there's the people who rather stick with the tried and true reliability/familiarity of older versions. Either way you argue I really think it's just going to be one of those things you cannot avoid at some point or another unless you want to totally ditch windows. I think with XP and now Vista it's becoming where you can push it off longer and longer.

When it comes to directx, I'm sure many argued that directx 9 wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread either at first. It will take time to see what directx 10 is truly made of. Of course, with only Vista having directx 10, it's going to be an even touchier issue.

The Lost Planet benchmark does show that with close collaboration with NVIDIA (and hopefully ATI with their upcoming drivers), decent performance can be mustered when using directx 10. However, the visual difference between the two versions of the game is so minor that it's tough to call it a true indicator.

grey_1
07-05-07, 05:27 PM
*Your stuff here*
Why you bothering bro? 90% of the threads he posts in are negative or slams against something.

nekrosoft13
07-05-07, 05:36 PM
drop dead....plz

I second that

Redeemed
07-05-07, 05:40 PM
Why you bothering bro? 90% of the threads he posts in are negative or slams against something.

I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

If all he does to refute my challenge (or "offer"- what ever you want to call it) is hurl more insults at me, then I'll just ignore him. But I'm open to meaningful debates, so I'm giving him the opportunity to partake in one. My hopes are that if I am wrong he can prove so thus allowing me to become further educated on the matter- and vice-versa.

Let's see how he responds. ;)

SwedX
07-05-07, 05:49 PM

Or his sister, I gues it goes in the family :D

XDanger
07-05-07, 07:04 PM
Its called progress , stand in the way and get trampled on.

crainger
07-05-07, 07:25 PM

It's hard to call off the Redeemed once he's been unleashed...

grey_1
07-05-07, 07:35 PM
It's hard to call off the Redeemed once he's been unleashed...
True Dat.

Man on a Mission.:fkr:

Sazar
07-05-07, 08:58 PM
It's always funny to see the Windows users fighting amongst themselves, touting security in Microsoft products (XP and Vista) brings the LOLCOPTER close.

It's funnier to see the messiah of linuxdom pop-up and use basically the same rhetoric time and time again :)

Much, much funnier.

:afro:

evilghost
07-05-07, 09:06 PM
It's funnier to see the messiah of linuxdom pop-up and use basically the same rhetoric time and time again :)

Much, much funnier.

:afro:

Allow me to insult you with this image as we near the holiest of days for the Microsoft apologists:

http://i14.tinypic.com/4t6updy.jpg

flukester
07-05-07, 09:15 PM
wtf! I only just responded Redeemed and you got 2 posts up to it! Bud man you got a mouth, no life or good strong hands.

What exactly is your problem? What did I say to piss you off? Sorry I am lost and I really don't care to fumble through threads trying to find where I lost you.

Please list what I said, then I'll quote you and answer them. I don't need to read all that BS, I got better things to do. I am reading your stuff now and I am 'WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT?!?!' Cut down on the weed, take a deep breath and tell me your problems...

I don't even know where to begin. (i'm wondering now if he already has a response for this post, did i hit post and then edit, uhh)

Sazar
07-05-07, 09:15 PM
Evilghost...

My retort (http://www.geocities.com/televisioncity/8889/python/french9.wav)