PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft extends Xbox 360 warranty to three (3) years

Pages : [1] 2

LiquidX
07-05-07, 03:54 PM
As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge—including shipping—for three years from the console’s purchase date.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/petermooreletter.htm

I think this is great and also a clear indication there is a problem so all these people saying otherwise can take that as genuine proof. I applaud Microsoft for doing this as many more can now buy with confidence because the 360 is a great machine.:)

nopp0x00
07-05-07, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I'm glad they did.

I just got a replacement disc from Activision of COD3 that was scuffed by the console.

Within less than a hour of putting the damn disc in, the ****ing thing is scuffed again. None of my other damn discs get scuffed, just this one.

The disc was brand new, shiny, without issues. It started to give me problems loading in game and then it locked my machine up.

It's garbage like this that makes me want to buy the PS3 variant of the multiplatform game. I mean, who cares if the framerate is a little lower on the PS3. At least I'll be able to play the damn game.

To any new Xbox 360 owners: Make sure to mail the extended warranty envelope as quickly as possible. I think they give you 7 days from the time of purchase to mail it out.

|MaguS|
07-05-07, 04:01 PM
LOL

Thats great, 100% proof that there is a flaw in the console. Still pretty ****ty that they rather extend their warrenty then just come out and say there was a manfacturing issue and they are working to fix the issue while covering the troubled consoles... rather then hiding behind this.

Buenamos
07-05-07, 04:20 PM
:headbang:

toxikneedle
07-05-07, 04:21 PM
LOL

Thats great, 100% proof that there is a flaw in the console. Still pretty ****ty that they rather extend their warrenty then just come out and say there was a manfacturing issue and they are working to fix the issue while covering the troubled consoles... rather then hiding behind this.
Sometimes, I can't believe that you work for AT&T and then post something like this. Oh yeah, MS was gonna do that right? Theyre a busines....

six_storm
07-05-07, 04:25 PM
Rock on MS! They extended my warranty last time I had my 360 in the shop.

Ninja Prime
07-05-07, 04:26 PM
LOL

Go fanboi spin squad! Try and make Microsoft's giving everyone three times as much warranty for free into a bad thing somehow!

How dare they try and make up for errors by giving everyone free replacements, those dirty bastards! Death to them!

Sony 4teh winz! T3h Cell! Blu-Rhey!

Whats PS3 warranty again? 1 year and much more limited with no easy way to find out whats wrong? Yeah thats way better...

nopp0x00
07-05-07, 04:32 PM
Go fanboi spin squad! Try and make Microsoft's giving everyone three times as much warranty for free into a bad thing somehow!

How dare they try and make up for errors by giving everyone free replacements, those dirty bastards! Death to them!

Whats PS3 warranty again? 1 year and much more limited with no easy way to find out whats wrong? Yeah thats way better...

It was long overdue. Now I wonder if they'll end up giving me a refund for the extended warranty I purchased a while back.

And as for the PS3's warranty:

I haven't had any of my discs scuffed by the machine, nor is it as faulty as the Xbox 360. I don't anticipate having to replace my console in the near future, yet I can't say the same for my Xbox 360.

Marvel_us
07-05-07, 04:34 PM

Tell me how many broken PS3's you know of....:rolleyes:

Now we are comparing warranties between consoles.

|MaguS|
07-05-07, 04:35 PM
The three year warrenty they are giving now only covers three ring errors, nothing else. Thats a basic admittance of a flaw in the consoles construction.

Yeah Sony has a year warrenty on the PS3 but how many PS3's have you heard have failed?

Love how I make a statement about MS hiding a serious issue about their console behind something like this. Yeah it helps everyone when their console fails but shouldn't it be more about stoping the console from failing? I rather feel safe knowning my console will continue to work after extended play rather then knowning its covered under warrenty.

Theres a reason I buy Honda and Acura, and its not for their warrenty.

nekrosoft13
07-05-07, 04:54 PM
wow, very good off MS. Kudos to them.

Lyme
07-05-07, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I'm glad they did.

I just got a replacement disc from Activision of COD3 that was scuffed by the console.

Within less than a hour of putting the damn disc in, the ****ing thing is scuffed again. None of my other damn discs get scuffed, just this one.

The disc was brand new, shiny, without issues. It started to give me problems loading in game and then it locked my machine up.

It's garbage like this that makes me want to buy the PS3 variant of the multiplatform game. I mean, who cares if the framerate is a little lower on the PS3. At least I'll be able to play the damn game.

To any new Xbox 360 owners: Make sure to mail the extended warranty envelope as quickly as possible. I think they give you 7 days from the time of purchase to mail it out.

make sure your console isn't standing on one end, that causes scratched disc's for some reason. It is best to have it horizontal.

As for the new extended warranty, everyone and their dog complains about the 360 and the three rings of death. So what does MS do? Extends the warranty for three rings of death to three years, can't beat that.

How many ps3's do I know that needed warranty service? None, I know of exactly zero people in real life that own a PS3, but near a dozen that own a 360.

Some will spin this as a bad thing, proving that the failure rate is astronomically high, however this simply shows that MS wants to resolve the issues and takes the console business seriously.

nopp0x00
07-05-07, 05:43 PM
make sure your console isn't standing on one end, that causes scratched disc's for some reason. It is best to have it horizontal.

As for the new extended warranty, everyone and their dog complains about the 360 and the three rings of death. So what does MS do? Extends the warranty for three rings of death to three years, can't beat that.

How many ps3's do I know that needed warranty service? None, I know of exactly zero people in real life that own a PS3, but near a dozen that own a 360.

Some will spin this as a bad thing, proving that the failure rate is astronomically high, however this simply shows that MS wants to resolve the issues and takes the console business seriously.

It's horizontal, man. None of my other games got scuffed. I own Gears, Viva Pinata, Crackdown, Saints Row, Top Spin 2, Dead Rising ... so far. All of them are scratch and scuff free. The only game to give me issues is COD3. I don't know why. But I notice that the disc has a weird warping in the inner plastic ring of the disc. It may be causing an instability with the drive, leading to scuffs.

SwedX
07-05-07, 05:57 PM
wow, very good off MS. Kudos to them.

They better do after these 33% failure rate hehe.
A very good move bye them. My hat off :)

S.I.N
07-05-07, 05:59 PM
http://www.velvetrevolution.us/images/07-minister.jpg
"This in no way proves there is a problem with the 360. We are doing this out of the goodness of our heart."

Heh, I may actually get one now.:p

slick
07-05-07, 07:08 PM
Good move for everyone. Less people scared about buying a console and having it break on them after warranty, more consoles sold for MS.

toxikneedle
07-05-07, 08:20 PM
The three year warrenty they are giving now only covers three ring errors, nothing else. Thats a basic admittance of a flaw in the consoles construction.

Yeah Sony has a year warrenty on the PS3 but how many PS3's have you heard have failed?

Love how I make a statement about MS hiding a serious issue about their console behind something like this. Yeah it helps everyone when their console fails but shouldn't it be more about stoping the console from failing? I rather feel safe knowning my console will continue to work after extended play rather then knowning its covered under warrenty.

you misspelled warranty :captnkill:

|MaguS|
07-05-07, 08:24 PM
you misspelled warranty :captnkill:

You actually made me fall into coughing fits (can't laugh well while sick)..

AthlonXP1800
07-05-07, 09:00 PM
It not surprised Xbox 360 are more prone to failure than either Playstation 3 and Wii. Xbox 360 consoles are not very reliable.

Consoles failure rate in USA

Xbox 360: 33% or about 2.1 million units
Playstation 3: Less than 1% or about less than 15,000 units
Wii: No defective at all!

http://www.dailytech.com/Retailers+Estimate+Xbox+360+Failure+Rate+High+as+3 3+Percent/article7892.htm

Microsoft now finally admitted Xbox 360 failure rate are totally unaccepted and they will spent $1bn to repair all faulty units.

Playstation 3's failure rate of less than 15,000 units was due to defective BD-ROM drive from bad batch which failed to load discs into drive or cant read discs at all. It was easily replaced with new working BD-ROM drive.

Nintendo did very good job with Wii design, it was amazing Wii has no defective units since it was launched last year.

toxikneedle
07-05-07, 09:01 PM
BTW, you're lucky this is the Console forums, if this were in Open you would have had a b!tch fest go off on you for liking non-american cars.

|MaguS|
07-05-07, 09:05 PM
BTW, you're lucky this is the Console forums, if this were in Open you would have had a b!tch fest go off on you for liking non-american cars.

Never said I disliked American Cars. I love Corvette's, Camaro's and Old Stangs.

slick
07-05-07, 10:21 PM

lol, I knew this would somehow be construed into negative news.

How about you actually read the open letter from Moore (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/petermooreletter.htm), because it's pretty obvious you completely skipped it and went straight for the flame.

He outright says that there was a flaw and that they haven't been doing everything they can to fix it. He apologizes for the lack adequate customer service response, and points out that this hasn't at all been fair to the 360 owners. He also mentions that they are working on numerous improvements to cut down on failed consoles.

He wrote a ****ing public apology for all the consoles breaking and the lack of support from Microsoft for those affected, and to try and make amends, they as a company have decided to offer a 3 year RETROACTIVE warranty, as well as reimbursing those who have already paid for repairs, costing Microsoft over a billion dollars.

This is a huge ****ing gesture of good will from Microsoft, and what do you do? **** on them for it. Good ****ing show Magus.

delas52
07-05-07, 11:29 PM
(nana2)

Thank you Microsoft.

Even though my 360 has had zero problems I can now enjoy 100% peace of mind.

Nothing but respect and applause to MS from me.

kev13dd
07-06-07, 02:45 AM
(nana2)

Thank you Microsoft.

Even though my 360 has had zero problems I can now enjoy 100% peace of mind.

Nothing but respect and applause to MS from me.
AMEN!

Literally everytime I turn on my X360 I expect it to die. I'm just waiting till I can pay for the repairs and get the 1 year warrenty on repaired ones so that I can have peace of mind. Now I can relax already

Does this 3 year warrenty change the 1 year warrenty they give after they repair the console?

K

JigenD
07-06-07, 05:54 AM
It not surprised Xbox 360 are more prone to failure than either Playstation 3 and Wii. Xbox 360 consoles are not very reliable.

Consoles failure rate in USA

Xbox 360: 33% or about 2.1 million units
Playstation 3: Less than 1% or about less than 15,000 units
Wii: No defective at all!

http://www.dailytech.com/Retailers+Estimate+Xbox+360+Failure+Rate+High+as+3 3+Percent/article7892.htm

Microsoft now finally admitted Xbox 360 failure rate are totally unaccepted and they will spent $1bn to repair all faulty units.

Playstation 3's failure rate of less than 15,000 units was due to defective BD-ROM drive from bad batch which failed to load discs into drive or cant read discs at all. It was easily replaced with new working BD-ROM drive.

Nintendo did very good job with Wii design, it was amazing Wii has no defective units since it was launched last year.

What? No defective Wiis at all? Nonsense! I've heard of more defective Wiis than PS3s by FAR.

The first problem that came up with a lot of people was the first firmware update for the system killed EVERY unit it touched, it was taken down quickly, and there is no autoupdate when connected to the net like the 360, so not too many were affected.

The second major problem, which we see TONS of today, is the GPU dying. It mostly seems to happen to WiiConnect24 users (having it on when the system is turned off). I believe the entire WiiConnect24 system to be fatally flawed, so I don't use it at all (no real use for it yet). There are also bugs in the system that require you to turn it on to use the news or weather programs, but they don't actually require it because the updates will download when you run the app (basically ****ty programming).

Either way, there have been thousands of dead Wiis already, easily tens of thousands, as every major forum I've visited has tons of these posts.