PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia threatens NGOHQ over ForceWare Distribution

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
07-05-07, 05:49 PM
Unauthorized Distribution Of NVIDIA Drivers on NGOHQ.com

To Whom it May Concern:

We understand that you are distributing or facilitating the unauthorized distribution of NVIDIA’s drivers for its GPU and/or MCP products. We are writing to remind you that these drivers constitute intellectual property (“IP”), including copyrights, of NVIDIA. As the exclusive owner of this IP, under Section 106 of the Copyright Act, NVIDIA alone has the right to authorize distribution. Since you are not authorized, we ask that you immediately stop all activities that distribute, allow or facilitate distribution of NVIDIA’s drivers on your web site. Unauthorized distribution is a serious violation of NVIDIA’s intellectual property rights and if it continues, we will take the necessary steps to prevent further unauthorized distribution.

NVIDIA drivers that are distributed through authorized channels have been tested on the supported platforms that are included in the driver INF file, and are supported by NVIDIA and its OEM partners. Modifying drivers to add products that were not intended to be supported in the driver may cause more problems for customers due to limited testing and known problems on some products.

Please confirm that all unauthorized distribution has ceased within two weeks of the date of this letter by sending an email to dperez@nvidia.com

Sincerely,

Bryan "BDR" Del Rizzo
Senior PR Manager
MCP Business Group
2701 San Tomas Expressway
Santa Clara, CA 95050

and response

http://www.ngohq.com/news/11386-our-official-response-nvidia.html

rflair
07-05-07, 06:08 PM
While I don't use drivers modded by others I do mod them myself if my video card isn't in the inf. I don't see NGOHQ doing anything wrong, if anything they are helping some. It's a strange tactic for Nvidia to take, kind of desolutioning some users, which isn't good for any company.

It is Nvidia's right do this though, but :thumbdwn: .

SH0DAN
07-05-07, 06:50 PM
This is insane,and a very LOW blow on Nvidias part.I see very little harm in what that site is doing.

XDanger
07-05-07, 07:01 PM
can NGOHQ state they offer modified INF's for non profit then mention anti-trust laws? Seems kinda contradictory. Still, shame on you NVidia.

SH0DAN
07-05-07, 07:01 PM
I just posted this on [H]

SH0DAN
07-05-07, 07:03 PM
Everyone here that has a problem with Nvidia's actions should email Derek, and DIGG it !

mobilenvidia
07-05-07, 07:06 PM
Why I keep the modded INFs as a seperate download from the ori
Users have the option to use the driver as is or apply the modded INF.

Seems all a bit silly from nV to take this action and takes me back to the Micosoft 100.30 incident we went through some months back now.

nekrosoft13
07-05-07, 07:06 PM
can NGOHQ state they offer modified INF's for non profit then mention anti-trust laws? Seems kinda contradictory. Still, shame on you NVidia.

original post contains the their response

j0j081
07-06-07, 07:48 AM
well I understand where Nvidia is coming from. I have used modded drivers in the past but I knew I was taking a very small risk by installing them. There are plenty of pc users out there that have no clue when it comes to this kinda stuff, not people like you'll find places on this forum. You never know how many of those people install a modded driver then end up complaining to Nvidia to fix it when something goes wrong.

GOZ
07-06-07, 08:07 AM
This is still going on.......................they got in trouble with nVidia with their SLI patch, and now it seems nVidia wants to push back harder now and NGO has been throwing **** at nvidia, since the SLI patch prob so they brought it on themselves IMHO.

Like I said this started with the SLI patch then the bad mouthing started on the NGO side and well nVidia is not going to take it I guess lol

nekrosoft13
07-06-07, 08:18 AM
GOZ

Our servers are based in Israel. If you’re unaware, Israel is not a state in the United States. Israel is a small country in the Middle East. Therefore, the United States Copyright law and Section 106 do not apply here. This specific law applies only inside the United States borders.

Nvidia really can't do much.

LordJuanlo
07-06-07, 08:53 AM
A really wrong move from nVidia. I love the ending quote of NGOHQ's response:

"Feel free to distribute and endorse Catalyst software. Just please let your users know that if they use modified drivers we aren't able to support them properly. Keep up the good work in the community." -AMD/ATI

Seadogs
07-06-07, 09:00 AM
Well that kind of sucks. I havent used NGO's in a while but I've got great respect for them. Back when the 7800GS's were crapping out with the blackouts left and right (got a new rig since) regeneration showed up on the EVGA boards and personnally worked with us to add a fix to the drivers. He kept the changes a secret of course but man, that made my day.

However he did say he sent his findings to Nvidia but they did not respond. I think thats when things between NGO and Nvidia went south if I recall.

EDIT: Nevermind, yeah the SLI patch was first wasn't it?

Demanufakture
07-06-07, 12:39 PM
Well that kind of sucks. I havent used NGO's in a while but I've got great respect for them. Back when the 7800GS's were crapping out with the blackouts left and right (got a new rig since) regeneration showed up on the EVGA boards and personnally worked with us to add a fix to the drivers. He kept the changes a secret of course but man, that made my day.

However he did say he sent his findings to Nvidia but they did not respond. I think thats when things between NGO and Nvidia went south if I recall.

EDIT: Nevermind, yeah the SLI patch was first wasn't it?

My first EVGA 7800gs crapped out back when they first came out. I did an RMA exchange with EVGA for a new one at it has been working ever since perfectly. I have never used modded drivers and don't ever intend to. The drivers are not what cause the 7800gs to crap out. It's a hardware problem. Of course, that guy may have found a workaround for the problem with modded drivers, but it's not the driver's fault that the card doesn't work right.

retsam
07-06-07, 01:01 PM
monopoly.....

Seadogs
07-06-07, 05:37 PM
My first EVGA 7800gs crapped out back when they first came out. I did an RMA exchange with EVGA for a new one at it has been working ever since perfectly. I have never used modded drivers and don't ever intend to. The drivers are not what cause the 7800gs to crap out. It's a hardware problem. Of course, that guy may have found a workaround for the problem with modded drivers, but it's not the driver's fault that the card doesn't work right.

I agree, I had like 3 RMA's with that card. But the work-around worked and it was not just present on the EVGA cards. It made it work problem free and thats what mattered to me.

BTW, whats up man. I haven't seen you since the 7800GS megathread :D

ikjadoon
07-06-07, 05:56 PM
I hate to be such a noob, but what is this SLI patch you guys are talking about?

~Ibrahim~

LordJuanlo
07-06-07, 07:49 PM
A patch that allowed non-nVidia chipsets to run two cards in SLI (I think it was motherboards based on Uli chipsets)

ikjadoon
07-06-07, 11:13 PM
Oh, right! I remember hearing about that. So it was these guys, pretty cool, if you ask me!

Thanks!

~Ibrahim~

malonn
07-07-07, 12:11 AM
Releasing that patch may not have been such a good idea, but it should stop there I think. Warn NGO to never do something like that again without at least consulting NV first, and that's it. Everyone and their mom distributes drivers, and modding them isn't that big of a deal. I seriously hope no one would be ignorant enough to complain to NV about modded driver issues.

andy_nv
07-07-07, 06:06 AM
Yeah, they should add another line to the disclaimer, beside use at your own risk:

"And please don't be stupid enough to contact nVidia tech support while using these drivers !"

MUYA
07-07-07, 06:12 AM
It's about IP....yes the drivers are modded but, NV's aim is probably quality control. In terms of NGO modded drivers borks up...then people look to blame who??? You guessed in NV. So its NV's probable attempt at QC.

Vasot02
07-07-07, 06:42 AM
The funny thing is that NGOHQ in the last paragraphs threatens Nvidia about Department of Justice filings, antitrust, abuse etc etc,

in a tone that says 'Why us and not anyone else' kind of defence,
Which is weak if you ask me

That was a bad move from NGOHQ

nopp0x00
07-07-07, 07:07 AM
NGOHQ are nothing but useless attention whores. I see they're still sore about getting ****slapped by Nvidia over their distro of that SLI mod since last year.

Anyways, who actually has a need for their ****ty .inf's?

RejZoR
07-07-07, 07:11 AM
SLi mod which wasn't even made by them khm...