PDA

View Full Version : WoW Freezes in Vista? (680i + 8800GTS)

Hambone
07-06-07, 04:33 PM
I have a HD just for games. WoW has been sitting there for a long time. I actually did load the expansion pack though.

Since it's been sitting there I upgraded to Vista when it came out. I thought I'd give WoW a look again and patched it up. The patcher and WoW itself didn't seem to care that it wasn't actually "installed". I guess that could be my problem, but I don't really see exactly how. Non-Installed games seem to either work, or they're missing a registrey entry (like UT2004's serial key which is stored in the registry) and don't work at all.

After patching.............

Two crashes right away, Both of these were screen system freezes that required hard reboots.
1) First time it loaded
2) 2nd try: Worked 30 minutes and crashed in the middle of a griff flight

Hardware (which played WoW fine under XP months ago)
EVGA 680i
EVGA 8800GTS
E6600 @ 3.4Ghz
4GB DDR2 800, 4-4-4-12, Patriot
Antec 900 Gaming case (for 200mm chimeny cooling fun)

I have the newest 8800GTS drivers installed. I also have the newest 680i chipset drivers installed (which are freaking 6 months old now - thanks NVIDIA).

Either WoW doesn't like Vista or there's something off about WoW not being truely "installed".

I'm not looking forward to pushing 8 CD's through to reinstall WoW from scratch. I'm not sure what to do. And, I really don't want to leave Vista. I really do like it.

Anyone been playing WoW fine on Vista (espically with a 680i board)? Thanks

Tr1cK
07-06-07, 04:43 PM
WoW doesn't need to be installed to run. I run it off a portable HD that I take many different places with no issues at all.

Also, WoW may not look like it, but it is one of the most stressful games you can run. I had a higher overclock on a system before and it ran everything fine except WoW had major issues. I lowered the clock and the problems went away. You should try setting everything to default and giving it another go.

Hambone
07-06-07, 09:00 PM
WoW doesn't need to be installed to run. I run it off a portable HD that I take many different places with no issues at all.

Also, WoW may not look like it, but it is one of the most stressful games you can run. I had a higher overclock on a system before and it ran everything fine except WoW had major issues. I lowered the clock and the problems went away. You should try setting everything to default and giving it another go.

WoW stressful? Ah come on. :D
EQ2 is stressful. Titan Quest is stressful. F.E.A.R was somewhat stressful. WoW is a kiddie walk in the park. Only one core is being used and not even at max load. And my 8800GTS wasn't getting anywhere near to the temps Titan Quest can put on it. Actually Titan Quest owns my systems world record for 8800GTS heating.

I did get a hit on another site though - apparently without the registry entries from a real install WoW can cause crashes in Vista for some reason. There's a fix supposedly on the official WoW forums for this.

Tr1cK
07-06-07, 11:51 PM
WoW uses both cores on my machine.

It's not stressful to one thing in particular, but to the system as a whole. I've had many different configurations I played on since it came out and it was the least forgiving on overclocked systems. I was just saying to clock down some or back to stock to try it. At the very least, you will rule that one thing out.

K007
07-10-07, 07:00 AM
In city areas..its like Oblivion...very cpu limited. But it dosen't stress the Ram or anything much..its just when there is a lot of people..which is usually in any major city..like Shat city...loaded with everything..npcs and both fractions..man it runs like ass in some areas..