PDA

View Full Version : Major system swap with Vista.

CaptNKILL
07-06-07, 07:10 PM
Anyone know how Vista x64 handles a major system change? Like if I went to a P35 board and a Core 2, how would my Vista installation handle it?

I know XP was hit or miss. Most of the time you could just run a repair installation and it'd work fine, but other times you'd have to do a full reinstall.

I haven't heard of anyone doing it with Vista yet.

Only reason I ask is I'm dual booting XP and Vista (actually triple booting since i have another vista installation on my external drive) and its a pain in the ass to redo all of that, not to mention move all of my data around and reinstall programs.

I think I'd have to reinstall XP first and then Vista or the Vista boot manager wouldnt work.

Q
07-06-07, 07:55 PM
I'm thinking that Vista 64 would do quite well. I've done several XP swaps lately and have been remarkably surprised how well it went. I changed from a 939 4800X2 to a Q6600 on a P35 running XP32.

Without formating.

Without REPAIRING!

Major speed increase and stability too. I used the system like that for nearly a week. I ended up formating only to use all 4 GB of memory under Vista 64. I'm not sure, but Vista is supposedly more robust than XP doing this, so good luck. (And sorry I couldn't help with Vista 64 directly).

CaptNKILL
07-06-07, 08:22 PM
I think I'll back everything up properly and then give it a try.

If it doesn't work I'll just reinstall.

I think it'll work though. :thumbsup:

Q
07-06-07, 09:02 PM
I think I'll back everything up properly and then give it a try.

If it doesn't work I'll just reinstall.

I think it'll work though. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I think it will be fine. I used to be so CRAZY against this practice, then did it myself a few weeks back because I got all the new toys but was too busy to properly format. I was VERY surprised with the results.

Good luck, bro!

crainger
07-08-07, 07:36 PM
I went from my nforce 4 AMD setup to my current nforce 6 Intel setup. Vista would bluescreen on boot like XP would. Vista repair knew the issue and tried to fix it, but it couldn't. I'd say you'll have to reinstall.

My gf went from a VIA P4 setup to a 965 E6600 setup. Same results as me. Although neither of us reset the HAL. Kinda a major step. :o

evilghost
07-08-07, 08:10 PM
In the XP days you could go into Device Mangler and set your PC to a "Standard PC" instead of an APCI Computer and change the primary/secondary storage controller drives to "Standard". You'd then shutdown and do your swap; everything would boot fine and all devices would be redetected. It may work with Vista.

I've never had to repair an XP installation on a major hardware swap using that technique.

grey_1
07-08-07, 08:35 PM
In the XP days you could go into Device Mangler and set your PC to a "Standard PC" instead of an APCI Computer and change the primary/secondary storage controller drives to "Standard". You'd then shutdown and do your swap; everything would boot fine and all devices would be redetected. It may work with Vista.

I've never had to repair an XP installation on a major hardware swap using that technique.
I have, it went very smoothly (1.8 p4 to nf3 and amd64).

One thing with Vistas repair..you may have to reboot and run it more than once. So if everything isn't sweet the first time around, run it again.

Good luck man, hope it goes smooth for you.