PDA

View Full Version : 8800 HEATSINK REMOVAL?

Pages : [1] 2

Eltigre88
07-08-07, 03:04 PM
In the past I have removed my coolers clean them up and put Arctic Silver on everything. Can someone tell me if the 8800's are using the cheese clothe paste junk like on past models. Talk about worthless junk.

einstein_314
07-08-07, 04:36 PM
In the past I have removed my coolers clean them up and put Arctic Silver on everything. Can someone tell me if the 8800's are using the cheese clothe paste junk like on past models. Talk about worthless junk.
My EVGA 8800GTX Superclocked edition had the thermal cloth stuff on everything except the core (memory, voltage regs, etc.) The core had some sort of thermal paste.

Lazaredz
07-08-07, 05:08 PM
Ditto

Eltigre88
07-08-07, 05:34 PM
So did you guys leave it as it was or did you put Arctic Silver 5 on it?

john19055
07-09-07, 08:24 AM
I left everthing own it except the core where I put artic silver5 on it .

lduguay
07-09-07, 08:33 AM
I left everthing own it except the core where I put artic silver5 on it .
John, what is your temp delta with AS5?

shaker718
07-09-07, 09:05 AM
so anyone know of a tutorial on how to remove the Heatsink on the 8800's? with temps hitting the 97 degree mark here in NYC i'd like to as5 the card.

agentkay
07-09-07, 09:14 AM
so anyone know of a tutorial on how to remove the Heatsink on the 8800's? with temps hitting the 97 degree mark here in NYC i'd like to as5 the card.

Try this one ;)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1306803&postcount=9

Digital_Trans
07-09-07, 03:04 PM
What are the reported temps after one applies Artic Silver 5 to their 8800 GTX? I will try this but I will use Artic Silver's new and improved formula called Céramique.
I would have went water cooled but I'm waiting on the NVIDIA 9800 GTX to do that.

url: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm

lduguay
07-09-07, 04:05 PM
What are the reported temps after one applies Artic Silver 5 to their 8800 GTX? I will try this but I will use Artic Silver's new and improved formula called Céramique.
I would have went water cooled but I'm waiting on the NVIDIA 9800 GTX to do that.

url: http://www.arcticsilver.com/ceramique.htm
Ripped from another post:

"AS5 is newest. then in order (from newest to oldest) Arctic Silver Ceramique, Arctic Alumina and AS3."

After reading a lot of post, the general consensus is that AS5 is slightly better than Céramique.

Eltigre88
07-09-07, 05:04 PM
I have seen my card up to 69C already. How about everyone else?

UberRN69
07-09-07, 05:32 PM
I cleaned up my 8800GTS as soon as I got it, so I don't know how high my temp would have been. I replaced the theraml pads with Chomerics THERMATTACH T412 tape and AS5 on the GPU die. Using RivaTuner to adjust the fan to 75% (just below the level when I can hear it), and have the card clocked to 600/2000, I idle at 53-55C and under load (2 hrs playing COH - Everything at MAX) about 66-69C.

Digital_Trans
07-09-07, 05:51 PM
Ripped from another post:

"AS5 is newest. then in order (from newest to oldest) Arctic Silver Ceramique, Arctic Alumina and AS3."

After reading a lot of post, the general consensus is that AS5 is slightly better than Céramique.

I think Céramique runs color because I've got it on my Intel Core 2 Extreme Edition X6800 2.93GHz OC @ 3.21 at 31c I never got temps that low with AS5. Also, AS5 is conductive to where Céramique is non-conductive.
Also, if you ever have to RMA the card or clean off AS5 from the CPU, GPU or memory it's going to take alot of effort and work to where Céramique can be cleaned off easy. I use the ArctiClean kit to make it a breeze never the less! :D

Eltigre88
07-09-07, 06:37 PM
Hey in Rivatuner how do you set the fan speed?

Greasy
07-09-07, 09:16 PM
So what's the general consensus regaurding AS5 and the 8800GTX?

Eltigre88
07-09-07, 09:36 PM
I have used it on everything I have owned and it has always dropped the temps.

Greasy
07-09-07, 10:12 PM
We talking 1-2 degrees on the GTX or 5+?

Eltigre88
07-10-07, 07:58 AM
Defenitly 5+.

Eltigre88
07-21-07, 08:55 PM
Can someone who has removed the 8800 heatsink and apllied Arctic Silver 5 post some temp diffrences? Thanks!!!

SlieTheSecond
07-22-07, 10:01 AM
If you go ahead and do remove the heatsink. Beware, on my 8800 GTS the heat sink does not make contact with the ram chips. Only the gpu. And the gap is quite large, I think roughly 2-3 mm. Might not sound like much, but its enough that you have to glob the as5 on to make the slightest bit of contact to the heatsink.

However, I just left it as is. As I have no thermal pads or of the likes. And the amount of as5 thats required I would think it would be acting as an insulator. I haven't had any problems yet. I did this a few months back. I know my temps did drop a little bit, can't remember by how much.

maxpaynez
07-22-07, 10:23 AM
Can someone who has removed the 8800 heatsink and apllied Arctic Silver 5 post some temp diffrences? Thanks!!!

Minimal. 2 deg at most.

Eltigre88
07-22-07, 10:50 AM
If you go ahead and do remove the heatsink. Beware, on my 8800 GTS the heat sink does not make contact with the ram chips. Only the gpu. And the gap is quite large, I think roughly 2-3 mm. Might not sound like much, but its enough that you have to glob the as5 on to make the slightest bit of contact to the heatsink.

However, I just left it as is. As I have no thermal pads or of the likes. And the amount of as5 thats required I would think it would be acting as an insulator. I haven't had any problems yet. I did this a few months back. I know my temps did drop a little bit, can't remember by how much.

How hard is it to make a cooler that actually contacts everything it is suppose too? Does Nvidia not make enough money to do it right. Why make what is suppose to be a quality product Halfa$$? Sounds like they need to hire a new team for QA.

qube
07-22-07, 01:05 PM
i put as5 on the core and ceramique on mem and volt on my ultra but its hard to tell the dif i watercool it now withe ek fullcover block my temp idle is 40 c
load 49 c before water it was 50 idle and 70-80 load

ATOJAR
07-22-07, 01:40 PM
50c idle is a really good temp for a stock cooler, mine idles at 46c-48c(depending on room temp)and i have a Thermalright HR-03-PLUS with AS5, with a fan controlled vantec tornado, the vantec tornado is at the lowest setting so it nice and quite BUT if i turn the vantec tornado full throttle it sounds like a hairdryer BUT cools the card down to 44c idle and thats with my overclocks.

To remove the heatsink all you need is a small screwdriver and half of a brain! ... i removed my stock cooler just by watching what i was doing, theres not alot you can really mess up when removing the cooler unless you do something really dumb like drop the card, slip with the screwdriver and damage it in some way, just be careful, think about what your doing and you will be fine!

Aphot
07-22-07, 03:46 PM

Is it possible to sand some of the heatsink down to make it touch the ram chips? Or is it an odd shape.