PDA

View Full Version : My new wii. :D :D :(

Pages : [1] 2

SOAD
07-08-07, 05:18 PM
Lol sorry about the conflicting emoticons ^^

Anyway. I finally took the plunge and brought me a Wii. (nana2)

However I was wondering (should have asked before)

-Can I connect it to my Dell 2407wfp. Will I need anything else?
-Can I connect My Creative Gigaworks G500 to it?

What games should I buy for it?

cheers

NarcissistZero
07-08-07, 06:02 PM
The Wii only comes with composite and only upgrades to s-video and component, as far as I know, so you'll need an adapter to make it work on a monitor.

As for games the only one on it worth anything in my opinion is the new Zelda, and honestly that game is better on the cube where you can press buttons.

The Wii is pretty overrated... it's a great little party machine but not a serious gaming machine... yet.

Mathesar
07-08-07, 07:44 PM
Connect the Wii with Component cables for best picture quality, If im not mistaken the 2407FPW has component inputs? although I wouldnt expect 480P to look all that great on a 1920x1200 native monitor.

Of the Wii games I currently own I'd say these are definitely worth owning: Zelda TP, Elebits, Resident Evil 4 Wii edition and Super Paper Mario.

There's some nice Virtual Console titles you can download as well if you dont mind paying a few bucks ,so far I've got Super Mario 64 which looks really sharp at 480P, also Zelda OOT , Zelda Link to the Past, Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes and Super Castlevania IV.

SOAD
07-08-07, 07:59 PM
Connect the Wii with Component cables for best picture quality, If im not mistaken the 2407FPW has component inputs? although I wouldnt expect 480P to look all that great on a 1920x1200 native monitor.

Of the Wii games I currently own I'd say these are definitely worth owning: Zelda TP, Elebits, Resident Evil 4 Wii edition and Super Paper Mario.

There's some nice Virtual Console titles you can download as well if you dont mind paying a few bucks ,so far I've got Super Mario 64 which looks really sharp at 480P, also Zelda OOT , Zelda Link to the Past, Streets of Rage 2, Gunstar Heroes and Super Castlevania IV.

cheers thanks alot.

Component you say eh? looks like more expense. lol cheers thanks alot Will look into those games ^^

NarcissistZero
07-08-07, 11:16 PM
Super Paper Mario bored me to tears with endless dialogue... Elebits was a tech demo.

Mathesar
07-09-07, 12:15 AM
Eh? Both are fun games regardless , I'd recommend the poster read some reviews if you want a general idea on the game(s) in question, Such as IGN.com:

Paper Mario Review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/778/778606p1.html

Elebits Review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/750/750468p1.html

Amuro
07-09-07, 04:02 AM
I heard component on the 2407FPW doesn't look very good.

SOAD
07-09-07, 08:05 AM
my monitor is the A04 edition so it could do 1:1

mightnt be the right size though.

Could anyone answer my question on the speakers.

Can I connect my Creative Gigaworks G500

we have no tv in the house so this is the only option. :(

nemecb
07-09-07, 03:41 PM
Super Paper Mario bored me to tears with endless dialogue... Elebits was a tech demo.
We get it. You don't like the Wii. Please go troll another thread while the rest of us answer the OP's questions.

*ahem* Anyway, I strongly suggest Excite Truck as another purchase.

If you look around you can get component cables for the Wii for pretty cheap these days. IIRC there was even one at Target the other day for like $15, and s-video was <$10. Monoprice has some really cheap ones too that might be worth looking into.

I'm not positive about the speaker hookup, but as long as it has at least stereo RCA inputs you should be fine. I'd expect a 5.1 system like that to work no problem.

PeterJensen
07-09-07, 04:14 PM
ewwww a wii :(

GamerGuyX
07-09-07, 08:47 PM
Eh? Both are fun games regardless , I'd recommend the poster read some reviews if you want a general idea on the game(s) in question, Such as IGN.com:

Paper Mario Review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/778/778606p1.html

Elebits Review: http://wii.ign.com/articles/750/750468p1.html

IGN seems to rate every game on a 7 - 10 scale.

If you look around you can get component cables for the Wii for pretty cheap these days. IIRC there was even one at Target the other day for like $15, and s-video was <$10. Monoprice has some really cheap ones too that might be worth looking into.

That's bad advice. You can't just use any component cables with the Wii. You have to get officially licensed ones as the Wii (like any console) uses a proprietary connector.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/GamerGuyX_GGX/nintendo_wii_component_cable.jpg

Amuro
07-09-07, 09:31 PM
Could anyone answer my question on the speakers.

Can I connect my Creative Gigaworks G500

we have no tv in the house so this is the only option. :(
Not directly. If you have a sound card with a front I/O drive or external console, you can output the sound to the sound card, otherwise you'll probably need something like this:
http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?product=9468

nemecb
07-09-07, 11:03 PM
That's bad advice. You can't just use any component cables with the Wii. You have to get officially licensed ones as the Wii (like any console) uses a proprietary connector.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb132/GamerGuyX_GGX/nintendo_wii_component_cable.jpg
Do I look like Bearclaw?:D

I'm quite well aware that the Wii requires special component cables. They carry them cheap at several sites, including here (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2&style=).

GamerGuyX
07-09-07, 11:09 PM
Do I look like Bearclaw?:D

I'm quite well aware that the Wii requires special component cables. They carry them cheap at several sites, including here (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083001&p_id=3566&seq=1&format=2&style=).

Point taken. :p

SOAD
07-10-07, 06:11 AM
okay, apparently the G500 comes with this splitter for plugging a red and white wire into one of the sockets that the pc usually uses.

Unfortunalty I have lost mine :headexplode:

BUT....

I rang up creative and said I had never recieved them. After a 3/4hr wait of music (they were trying to extract money from me. However I get free calls to Ireland:cool: ) they agreed to send me another one. Only prob they said is that it could take several weeks. :thumbdwn:

Will look into a component cable. The only problems I dont know about are:

1- Does quality of cable matter at all? I have seen some cheap ones from hong kong etc

2- I have heard rumours that the Dell is **** for component. :(

And now to the games ^^

Pity manhunt 2 is banned ;) Not that I actually want to play it, but it would have been refreshing for the console. They dont want to go totally young childrens stuff.

rombat
07-10-07, 08:54 AM
Another good game to get for the Wii if you have not played it yet is Resident Evil 4.

SOAD
07-10-07, 09:55 AM
Another good game to get for the Wii if you have not played it yet is Resident Evil 4.

cheers

zoomy942
07-10-07, 10:02 AM
We get it. You don't like the Wii. Please go troll another thread while the rest of us answer the OP's questions.

*ahem* Anyway, I strongly suggest Excite Truck as another purchase.

I'm not positive about the speaker hookup, but as long as it has at least stereo RCA inputs you should be fine. I'd expect a 5.1 system like that to work no problem.

i agree. dont listen to the troll.

nemecb
07-10-07, 10:39 AM
Will look into a component cable. The only problems I dont know about are:

1- Does quality of cable matter at all? I have seen some cheap ones from hong kong etc

2- I have heard rumours that the Dell is **** for component. :(

It depends on who you talk to, but I think for the most part any cable with the proper connections will work. Heck, I'm running my Wii through a home-built component cable (not that I recommend that, but at the time component cables were hard to come by and they were selling for like $60 on eBay. For the moment it still works so I haven't needed to replace it).

Not sure what to tell you about the Dell's component. I've heard similar things, but whether your particular monitor has the problem I don't know.

SOAD
07-10-07, 11:50 AM
Homebuilt?

:captnkill:

I can get one for 5 :)

It was sent today

nemecb
07-10-07, 12:45 PM
Homebuilt?

:captnkill:
Yeah, I have pictures around here somewhere...

Here we go (https://www.nemebean.com/stuff/Wii06.jpg);)

GamerGuyX
07-10-07, 03:34 PM
i agree. dont listen to the troll.

You mean the difference of opinion. ;)

nemecb
07-10-07, 04:06 PM
You mean the difference of opinion. ;)
I would agree if this were a "should I buy a Wii" thread, but since the OP wanted to know what games to buy, essentially saying that there are no good games for the Wii isn't terribly helpful. To be fair, troll may be a little too harsh, but the point remains that if you don't like any Wii games you might not be the best person to be giving advice on which ones to buy.;)

zoomy942
07-10-07, 04:43 PM
I would agree if this were a "should I buy a Wii" thread, but since the OP wanted to know what games to buy, essentially saying that there are no good games for the Wii isn't terribly helpful. To be fair, troll may be a little too harsh, but the point remains that if you don't like any Wii games you might not be the best person to be giving advice on which ones to buy.;)

very well said

NarcissistZero
07-10-07, 05:54 PM

If someone asks me which Wii games are worth buying right now... and I think they're all lackluster... is not saying so an answer? An answer that might save him money? "Just so you know man, Paper Mario is more text than gameplay and it's extremely slow paced, also the motion controls are rare and tacked on." If he doesn't want a slow paced and text heavy game, did I not just save him $50?

People need to see the difference between "trolling" and answering a question honestly.

I'm actually surprised at the fierce opposition, most boards I go to are pretty much in agreement the Wii has a lot left to prove software wise.