PDA

View Full Version : News on the PS3 price cut and a new SKU!

Pages : [1] 2

ENU291
07-08-07, 11:33 PM
It seems like the $100 price cut on the 60GB version of the PS3 is a reality but there's more... there is also going to be a new PS3 SKU that bumps the hard drive up to 80GB and adds a copy of Motorstorm for $599. Read more about this HERE (http://kotaku.com/gaming/we.re-slashing-prices/sony-confirms-ps3-price+cut-80gb-bundle-276091.php)!

|MaguS|
07-08-07, 11:49 PM
Thats a nice move, so you get 20Gb more and a Game for the same price as the console is now... or save $100 and get whats available now. Honestly the none bundle deal is the better deal in my opinion...

Namrok
07-09-07, 12:41 AM
Sooooo, what happens to the 20 gig PS3? Or has that already been phased out?

toxikneedle
07-09-07, 12:43 AM
jesus, people are talking about MS losing money with the repair rebate news, I wonder how much Sony is gonna lose with this move. I think they are being extremely optimistic.

crainger
07-09-07, 12:44 AM
Last I heard the 20Gb PS3 had long gone. I don't even recall it getting a release over here...

nrdstrm
07-09-07, 01:18 AM
I tried to find a 20GB one last month, and everywhere I called said they had been discontinued...You can still find a few floating about online though...

GamerGuyX
07-09-07, 01:33 AM
jesus, people are talking about MS losing money with the repair rebate news, I wonder how much Sony is gonna lose with this move. I think they are being extremely optimistic.

Let's not forget about the 5 free Blu-ray movies.

Lyme
07-09-07, 01:35 AM
Is this the PS3 with the hardware backward compatibility or without? Sony has to make this price cut as the 360 overall is still out selling the PS3.

Amuro
07-09-07, 04:04 AM
Last I heard the 20Gb PS3 had long gone. I don't even recall it getting a release over here...
20GB is only available in Japan now.

pkirby11
07-09-07, 10:35 AM
Woot! (nana2) I might consider a PS3 now but it will have to wait until there is a game I want to play, I'd also like to see Sony drop the price to $449 or lower. I gues we will see if this move pans out or not, I still think considering the library of games currently available for the 360, Sony is still going to have a hard go at it. They need some games that are exclusive AAA titles, at least for that price they do.

1337_Like_ThaT
07-09-07, 10:51 AM
+1 BluRay Camp

Namrok
07-09-07, 10:54 AM
+1 BluRay Camp

Yeah... pretty much the only reason I almost want a PS3 is because I could use a cheap bluray player. And it's PS1/2 upscaling.

Sort of lame, huh? This huge expensive game console that barely has any games. Almost a repeat of the PSP. But at least bluray has more potential than UMD. I mean seriously, who in their right mind would buy into a video format that is limited to a 3" screen?

1337_Like_ThaT
07-09-07, 11:01 AM
^^ Agree, UMD biggest limitation was obviously its capacity per disc. I mean you could barely fit a decent movie into a UMD without any of the special features or added bonuses and still pay the same, and some cases more money than a standard DVD version.

On the other hand the gaming potential of the PSP and multimedia features you can do with it are its highlights :)

christos
07-09-07, 11:14 AM
Since I already have a standalone hd-dvd player, this price cut, combined with the 5 bluray movies offer is just what I needed to get me to buy a bluray player. Gaming is like an added bonus.

Namrok
07-09-07, 11:21 AM
^^ Agree, UMD biggest limitation was obviously its capacity per disc. I mean you could barely fit a decent movie into a UMD without any of the special features or added bonuses and still pay the same, and some cases more money than a standard DVD version.

On the other hand the gaming potential of the PSP and multimedia features you can do with it are its highlights :)

Well, I was refering more to the fact that despite the name of the format (Universal Media Disk), you could only actually play the damn things on a PSP. Which means you are paying $10 for a movie you can only ever watch on an itty bitty screen. Just seems retarded to me.

Bman212121
07-09-07, 11:36 AM
Anyone see where you can get one for that price. I'm looking at Best Buy right now, and it is funny cause they have a huge header saying there is a $100 PS3 price drop, but they didn't change the price yet.

EDIT: Ebgames has the price change in effect. :)

EDIT2: Just hit refresh and now the price has dropped at BB.

Marvel_us
07-09-07, 11:55 AM
Oh wow, they dropped the price already? Good move. I wonder how MS will respond.

Now Sony needs a solid showing at E3.....First up Killzone!

nVJoe
07-09-07, 01:25 PM
I would be happy if the PS3 would get more games. Things are looking up this fall but 3 or 4 big name games, is not enough.

DiscipleDOC
07-09-07, 01:41 PM
I would be happy if the PS3 would get more games. Things are looking up this fall but 3 or 4 big name games, is not enough.
You can only play one game at a time. And aren't you glad you've waited?

nVJoe
07-09-07, 01:46 PM
You can only play one game at a time. And aren't you glad you've waited?
PFFT shows what you know. I shove 3 or 4 disks in that unite and combine the games. Seriously if you have to wait 5 months in between good games, the system loses appeal. /looks at my PSP

L2CONSOLE NEWB!

Yes I am glad I waited, how ever I am mad they dropped the 20gig system. I wanted that one. I don't need to pay $100 more for 40gigs. That is such a over price on memory. You can get a WD HDD 150gig drive for $45, yet Sony and MS charge you out the butt for a OEM drive in their consoles. So I am left with paying the same amount of money for 40 more gig I will never use.

|MaguS|
07-09-07, 01:56 PM
PFFT shows what you know. I shove 3 or 4 disks in that unite and combine the games. Seriously if you have to wait 5 months in between good games, the system loses appeal. /looks at my PSP

L2CONSOLE NEWB!

Yes I am glad I waited, how ever I am mad they dropped the 20gig system. I wanted that one. I don't need to pay $100 more for 40gigs. That is such a over price on memory. You can get a WD HDD 150gig drive for $45, yet Sony and MS charge you out the butt for a OEM drive in their consoles. So I am left with paying the same amount of money for 40 more gig I will never use.

2.5" drives are pricier then that. As for the 20Gb system, I think the lack of Wifi and memory slow didn't make it worth it for me. I use the card slot all the time for my PSP/PSX games.

Marvel_us
07-09-07, 02:22 PM

3 or 4? I guess it depends on what you consider a "big name game".

I'm looking forward to Lair(next month), Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Haze, Folklore, Warhawk, Assassin's Creed and hopefully UT3(though I doubt that's coming out this year).

Other than AC and UT3 all of those are exclusives.

nVJoe
07-09-07, 02:23 PM
2.5" drives are pricier then that. As for the 20Gb system, I think the lack of Wifi and memory slow didn't make it worth it for me. I use the card slot all the time for my PSP/PSX games.
True. Don't get me wrong, I liked my PSP and will like my PS3. I am just complaining about their pricing on the consoles. I understand they need to recoup costs in R&D and manufacturing.

Before I get a PS3, I need to get a new TV. My HDTV was broken about 6 months ago when I tripped and put my hand through the screen. It still works but that big crack in the screen is annoying. LOL!

3 or 4? I guess it depends on what you consider a "big name game".

I'm looking forward to Lair(next month), Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Haze, Folklore, Warhawk, Assassin's Creed and hopefully UT3(though I doubt that's coming out this year).

Other than AC and UT3 all of those are exclusives.
Tru dat. There just aren't any games I like that I don't already have on my 360 yet. Yeah next month will be good.

Lair looks cool but it seems to be missing something IMO. I will have to get my hands on it before I can make a final judgment. I'll prolly rent it first.

DiscipleDOC
07-09-07, 02:49 PM
True. Don't get me wrong, I liked my PSP and will like my PS3. I am just complaining about their pricing on the consoles. I understand they need to recoup costs in R&D and manufacturing.

Before I get a PS3, I need to get a new TV. My HDTV was broken about 6 months ago when I tripped and put my hand through the screen. It still works but that big crack in the screen is annoying. LOL!

Next time, don't try to carry Gib's mom up the stairs! That's one big woman! :p

Technoholic
07-09-07, 02:55 PM
Without reading the whole thread, but CNN Headline News mentioned about this Sony price cut, says no plan for it...