PDA

View Full Version : Sony does a price job, MS follows suit.

Buenamos
07-09-07, 01:15 PM
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6299&Itemid=2

If so, jAkUp u should've waited just a tad bit longer.

|MaguS|
07-09-07, 01:35 PM
I believe MS will phase out the Core unit and drop the Elite to $399 and the premium to $299. They want that $100 edge over the PS3.

Ruined
07-09-07, 02:56 PM
I believe MS will phase out the Core unit and drop the Elite to $399 and the premium to $299. They want that $100 edge over the PS3.

Why in the world would they phase out Core? Core allows them to dip into the sub-$200 market faster - some people simply cannot afford $299. There would be no reason to phase it out.

thor1182
07-09-07, 03:43 PM
I really don't see the price cut making a huge difference for Sony. To me, there is practically no difference between a console costing 600, and a console costing 500. Once the price is above the 400 dollar mark, I really can't feel a difference...which is the reason why I bought the 60gig instead of the 20gig at launch. 500 seemed to be just as expensive as 600, so I figured I'd go ahead and get the best.

which is why companies that sell tiered products, or artificially inflate their price tags love people like you and me, because we will go all out with the mind set is we are going to do it, might as well do it right and get the best one.

GamerGuyX
07-09-07, 03:47 PM
Why in the world would they phase out Core? Core allows them to dip into the sub-$200 market faster - some people simply cannot afford $299. There would be no reason to phase it out.

Not to mention it competes perfectly with the Wii's own $250 price point.

six_storm
07-09-07, 04:09 PM
XBOX 360 Core = Waste of Your Money.

evilchris
07-09-07, 04:32 PM
Actually any product made by Apple = Waste of Your Money

Peoples-Agent
07-09-07, 05:21 PM
At the time when I bought mine, it worked out cheaper to buy a Core and get the extras seperate after the discount I got.

LiquidX
07-09-07, 05:29 PM

I agree and when you really look at it, its clear the core was brilliant move from a business stand point. They can easily undersell both Sony and Nintendo if they choose.

toxikneedle
07-09-07, 05:36 PM
At the time when I bought mine, it worked out cheaper to buy a Core and get the extras seperate after the discount I got.
Yeah, I bought my 360 when they were hard to find in stores and all the ebay auctions were marked-up with prices. I got a core on ebay for retail price and bought a hard-drive, which was all I needed at the time.... didn't need wireless controller or component cables.

SOAD
07-10-07, 09:58 AM
Actually any product made by Apple = Waste of Your Money

:lol2:

:thumbsup:

:headbang:

kev13dd
07-10-07, 07:45 PM
I really don't see the price cut making a huge difference for Sony. To me, there is practically no difference between a console costing 600, and a console costing 500. Once the price is above the 400 dollar mark, I really can't feel a difference...which is the reason why I bought the 60gig instead of the 20gig at launch. 500 seemed to be just as expensive as 600, so I figured I'd go ahead and get the best.
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/07/09/ps3-price-drop-causes-a-2800-jump-in-sales-at-amazon-com/

A 2800% jump in sales is "practically no difference"? Granted a bunch of people might have been waiting for this price drop recently, and the sales should even out as time progresses, but I think $100 means a lot more than you realize

K

evilchris
07-10-07, 07:52 PM
http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/07/09/ps3-price-drop-causes-a-2800-jump-in-sales-at-amazon-com/

A 2800% jump in sales is "practically no difference"? Granted a bunch of people might have been waiting for this price drop recently, and the sales should even out as time progresses, but I think $100 means a lot more than you realize

K
Only an idiot would take a look at ZERO DAY sales jumps and make anything of it.

SeriTonin
07-10-07, 07:59 PM

K

2800% of 0 equals 2,800 sales. :clever: (aaa)

nrdstrm
07-10-07, 08:35 PM
Have you guys missed the other Sony news? The new PS3 will be WITHOUT the emotion engine (it will use a software emulator that is supposed to be nowhere near as good)... At first when I heard of the price drop, I was kinda pissed that I bought mine a month ago, but after hearing the above, I'm ok with my purchase as the backward compatablity was a small (but significant) reason for my purchase...

Supposedly they are coming out with another SKU as well for a higher end model that will have a larger hard drive and what not...Guess we will see tomorrow or Thursday (I can't remember when the SOE press conference is atm)...

ENU291
07-10-07, 09:03 PM
Have you guys missed the other Sony news? The new PS3 will be WITHOUT the emotion engine (it will use a software emulator that is supposed to be nowhere near as good)... At first when I heard of the price drop, I was kinda pissed that I bought mine a month ago, but after hearing the above, I'm ok with my purchase as the backward compatablity was a small (but significant) reason for my purchase...

Supposedly they are coming out with another SKU as well for a higher end model that will have a larger hard drive and what not...Guess we will see tomorrow or Thursday (I can't remember when the SOE press conference is atm)...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94543

kev13dd
07-10-07, 11:27 PM
Only an idiot would take a look at ZERO DAY sales jumps and make anything of it.
Ya, but him saying "it won't make a big difference" is perfectly acceptable because "after $400, no one really cares"

PS3 is still the top selling console on Amazon, days after the price drop- something it has rarely done. Even the PS3 Blueray DVD remote is beating the Wii. Regardless of it being "ZERO DAY" it's still making a difference. It might not win the console race because of it, but it is going to make a difference

K

Amuro
07-10-07, 11:55 PM
2800% of 0 equals 2,800 sales. :clever: (aaa)
Mathematically, that equals 0 sales.

Athena
07-12-07, 01:05 PM
Just saw on yahoo news and the gamedaily news letter today that their is no price drop on the 360s. bummer.
But I did see that Sony is going to release the new version of the PSP they have been saying for alomst a year is never going to happen.

DiscipleDOC
07-12-07, 01:10 PM
Mathematically, that equals 0 sales.
You know, I started to comment on that...but I said maybe I misread that....

Stoneyguy
07-12-07, 05:52 PM
PS3 sales are probably being driven by the fact that it's one of the most affordable Blu-ray players and you can get 5 movies with the purchase of one.