PDA

View Full Version : Got a new HDD..Installed it, heard a noise..Advice!

K007
07-10-07, 07:07 AM
Well i was running low on HDD space on my 320GB Seagate HDD, so i decided to get another one, same thing as well as i like its good value for $ atm and the other one hasn't given me any issues.

I had some Space issues in the case so i had to install the Second HDD Upside down as the dam GX2 was really..so dam long with the Power connector, but anyway i got it installed all was good, checked to see if the cables were on stress/etc..np..

So i got on Windows XP, Formated the new HDD, made it into new partitions, 149GB/149GB, I plan to move to Vista so i wanted a good amount of space to move stuff over before a format, and i like to split stuff up ><.

I was copying some data over after the format, first i actually ran HD Tech and i got a good reading from it, so everything is ok. So while i was copying the files over..i heard this..noise..one time noise..it made a noise like when you press shift i think 5 times u get windows..something i cant remember..its annoying but thats the best noise i can think of..heard it for a split second....i am wondering if i should be concerned..?

EDIT: Btw does anyone know where the hole for it to breath is?..I couldn't find it..in case there was a sticker or something that i needed to remove. The temps on both HDD is 40C~

CaptNKILL
07-10-07, 07:33 AM
You mean the sticky keys beep\tick sound? Thats from the internal speaker.

I'd keep an eye on it and keep doing mass copies. Use Speedfan to test the SMART status of the drive. It'll show you if there is an abnormal amount of errors on the drive.

If you heard one beep it was probably unrelated, but obviously nothing is guaranteed. I'd keep copies of your important stuff on both drives for now.

K007
07-10-07, 07:47 AM
Used Everest, had SMART info on it..couldn't make heads or tails from it -.-..Do you remember where the breath hole is for the HDD Captn? I wouldn't mind checking it out..but dam..ill have to unplug the GX2/Cables to check it out -.-

K007
07-10-07, 07:51 AM
Had a look through Speed fan. My First HDD seems to have lost 1 box on while the new one is all good.

CaptNKILL
07-10-07, 04:32 PM
Had a look through Speed fan. My First HDD seems to have lost 1 box on while the new one is all good.
I wouldnt worry too much about the boxes unless it gets really low. Mine fluctuate.

Check the detailed reports. It'll open up your web browser and show detailed results with written warnings if anything is out of the ordinary.

SLippe
07-10-07, 05:04 PM
In regards to SMART on your HDD, I thought it was best to have that disabled? I never use S.M.A.R.T.