PDA

View Full Version : Installing without a CD?

Ste2
07-11-07, 07:46 AM
Hey guys, basically, I've had my laptop for ages, and it's a load of crap, so when I got paid from work, I bought a load of new components for a new PC I was gonna build from scratch.

I got a Quad-Core CPU, the Q6600
Asus Striker Extreme motherboard
2gb Kingston RAM, 1gb and 2 512's
A 400gb HD,
and I was looking for a nVidia GTX 8800, and I saw someone selling one on eBay, for a Buy It Now price of 210 quid. I thought about it, I thought that I should get it because that's a hell of a price really. And I bought it. Now, I already knew that the guy had taken it out of his Dell XPS system and listed it and it's only just dawned on me that I might need a driver CD. Especially since I am putting it into a PC that won't even have Windows on yet. WIll I be ok or will I need to borrow a driver CD from somewhere?

Any help received will be greatly appreciated
Ste

MUYA
07-11-07, 07:49 AM
GeForce 8800 GTX drivers?

www.nvidia.com

Ste2
07-11-07, 08:23 AM
GeForce 8800 GTX drivers?

www.nvidia.com

Oh I know where the drivers are mate, I'm just wondering if it's possible to install on a PC built from scratch without the disk

Jon
07-11-07, 08:32 AM
Hmmm, the driver is for windows. The graphics card doesn't require a driver until after windows is installed. You will still see windows setup screens, etc. If thats what your asking.

MUYA
07-11-07, 08:37 AM
What you can do is goto all the websites to download drivers and then burn em of CD!! :) Simple.

Vid card drivers, mobo drivers, soundcard drivers, Network card drivers....

But as the post said before, you don't need any drivers to install Windows but...a CD of windows :)

You can install as Windows will install generic drivers for basic functionality before you install real drivers

Ste2
07-11-07, 09:18 AM
Thank you Muya and Jon, you've been really helpful. I was just making sure that I would be able to see the Windows setup screen, etc. Thanks alot you's two :)